Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2022, 12:28 PM

217 posts, read 149,722 times

Advertisements

Why do so many elderly become angry? Sure some have always been angry, but why do so many more become angry with age ? It would seem people should be more appreciative of a long life and all the enjoyment they had. Even if a persons life wasn’t that “great” they still lived longer than many. Doesn’t sunshine, a fresh breeze a baby’s giggle still mean something ?

Old 12-09-2022, 12:35 PM

88,669 posts, read 84,974,162 times
First you have to establish that so many elderly people do become angry instead of tossing it out there as if it's a given.

What makes you think this is true?

I have been angry at times about the parade of death and illness of loved ones in my life, although I don't feel angry at the moment. However, it also hasn't been particularly sunny in days, and I haven't actually heard a baby giggle in years, so those examples are kind of lame. I do get enjoyment from nature, though. Simply living a long time isn't in and of itself something to celebrate.

Haha, sun just peeked out while I was typing this.

Old 12-09-2022, 12:37 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,760,090 times
Is your question how to deal with angry relatives?

Why would you deal with them at all? Angry people should be left alone, no matter who they are.

I've ended friendships, curtailed family contact and gotten divorced to avoid people like this.

There are social and biological reasons why some people (not most) become angrier with age. I'm too busy to google it for you now though.

Old 12-09-2022, 12:37 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,109,528 times
Because they ache; their joints hurt. It’s hard to smile when your knee arthritis is having a bad day.
In other cases, it may be simply “these kids today!” crankiness.

Old 12-09-2022, 12:41 PM

217 posts, read 149,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
First you have to establish that so many elderly people do become angry instead of tossing it out there as if it's a given.

What makes you think this is true?
Lol ! Didn’t mean to make you angry!

Old 12-09-2022, 12:43 PM

32 posts, read 22,347 times
What age are you talking about when you say "elderly." My daughter thinks anyone who is over 30 is an "old person." And to me, elderly is a person over eighty-five.

Old 12-09-2022, 12:50 PM

2,316 posts, read 1,536,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Because they ache; their joints hurt. It’s hard to smile when your knee arthritis is having a bad day.
In other cases, it may be simply “these kids today!” crankiness.
I was cranky yesterday. I offered to mind two grandkids for two nights as their long, seven week summer vacation has already started, ten days ahead of the public schools (so not many activities available)

This happened to coincide with a flare up of my arthritis and my joints ached. The kids were whinging, partly as the weather is extremely cold for this time of the year and it limited what they could do. They started squabbling on the way home, which was a very unpleasant drive because of the usual traffic. I was really angry by the time we arrived at their place. And they had lost several privileges.

So, answer to the question, can be circumstantial.

Old 12-09-2022, 12:54 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,249,239 times
Dementia is also a consideration. Not to mention loneliness, neglect, abandonment, watching loved ones pass...

Old 12-09-2022, 12:55 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,042,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinpuncher View Post
Why do so many elderly become angry? Sure some have always been angry, but why do so many more become angry with age ? It would seem people should be more appreciative of a long life and all the enjoyment they had. Even if a persons life wasn’t that “great” they still lived longer than many. Doesn’t sunshine, a fresh breeze a baby’s giggle still mean something ?
Curiously enough, the sunshine means more to me now than when I was younger. Each day when I open the garage and step out on the apron, it is "Good Morning, Sun-Shine! (even if it is cloudy)........Good Morning, Cowgirl!"

Angry....or bitter or is there a difference?

My Mother said with old men, bitterness comes from that they have a belief and that belief is reinforced by listening only to one source of information. Hence, possibly (for I have run into similar circumstances), one gets to believe the whole world is like that.

When I expressed in the conversation with Mom that I hope I am never that bitter, she said, "How can you be? You have those two (then) adorable kittens!".

A, B, C.

A: As such, I try to take the easy view, if insane, of life and maintain my angelic ways through that. This morning, for example, I greeted on departure the big dog that often charges my car with "Hello, old friend!". This is my Zodiac Sign which others say describes me to a T.

Dreamy, romantic, old fashioned, always playful. This is the personality with the most active fantasy life. Capable of going to any length to act out the favorite fantasy, such is an expert role player - whether silk and lace and carousel horses or leather and armor and furs. (Zodiac Sign-ZS) will adapt to any one's moods and leave such breathless with intensity.

ZS is very emotional, chases rainbow, and can be wounded easily. Such is the gentle, fragile spirit that needs protection-and usually gets it. Few can resist the tenderness and capacity for love. But beware; just as ZS is fragile, once broken, ZS is capable of anything to return to that delicate soul.

ZS is mostly attracted to the artistic, moody temperament; versatility and adaptiveness enables ZS to be the perfect partner for anyone who likes to act out fantasies, going along with anything wished, as long as ZS can be a work of art, a paragon, a creature of beauty.

ZS have smooth, sleek skin, firm, curvaceous bodies. They often feel themselves to be more akin to romantic bygone eras - King Arthur's Court, 18th Century France, or Renaissance Italy. Equally, some feel as it they are misplaced angels.

ZS is physically energetic anywhere and everywhere, where they surrender to the passion of the moment with complete and utter abandon. But do not be fooled; this surrender is not to allow the passion to take them, but, rather, to open the gates so they may thrive on it. ZS adore being swept off their feet.

That's my ZS personalty, I believe it, I remember it, I live by it.

But part of what we might be talking about here is that so many of us have been told to grow up and leave our childhoods behind. Look at those who burn me at the stake for having figurines, for having stuffed animals. No absolute proof of it but that may be part of it that in the end if we have given up the beginning, there are those who are angry to be at the here and now without the happiness of before.

B: On believing the world is one way. In the early 90s, I was involved with a Bisexual mailing group. We had such conversations and fun together. We were all family.......and I had lost sight that the world wasn't like that. Fast forward a little bit, I am at a cousin's wedding, the night before, all us "kids" together in the rented bar, and Melissa Etheridge is in the news on the bar TV and someone is talking about burning her kind at the stake. I was shocked but as said, I had forgotten that my little neighborhood wasn't the world.

C: Finally, I think for many people, being angry....and mean....is easier than being nice. As previously stated in other threads, being angelic is what I am. I like being angelic, I get off on it. And as such, I may be to the extreme of being good, at point that most of the population doesn't get close to. Hence, with nice on one shoulder and mean on the other, it may be easier for them to engage being mean.....especially if it means they are right and get to feel good about it.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 12-09-2022 at 01:16 PM..

Old 12-09-2022, 01:01 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,591,685 times
angry elderly or older people:

because of impending death

and the existential terror of impending death, obliteration, nothingness for eternity on one's psyche

(for some, not all, of course)

and anger that life is nearly over. (for some who feel that way)

Last edited by matisse12; 12-09-2022 at 01:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement