Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2022, 01:58 PM

6,311 posts, read 4,209,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinpuncher View Post
Can’t we each have our own “facts” based on our own experiences?

Not if you stereotype or apply your own experience as being true of one group. someone stating they are coming across a lot of angry elderly is vastly different than stating why are all elderly people angry.

I’ve been dealing with an angry relative but she’s in her 30’s, so we avoid her the plague. I rarely come across or deal with angry old people but that’s because they aren’t the kind of people I make friends with. That said there are many old and elderly dealing with pain, health issues, grief , or caretaking a spouse and they are too exhausted to bounce around all cheery.

Aging can cause a down-turned mouth, droopy outer eyebrows and sagging cheeks giving your face a sense of sadness.

Old 12-09-2022, 02:07 PM

217 posts, read 149,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Not if you stereotype or apply your own experience as being true of one group. someone stating they are coming across a lot of angry elderly is vastly different than stating why are all elderly people angry.

I’ve been dealing with an angry relative but she’s in her 30’s, so we avoid her the plague. I rarely come across or deal with angry old people but that’s because they aren’t the kind of people I make friends with. That said there are many old and elderly dealing with pain, health issues, grief , or caretaking a spouse and they are too exhausted to bounce around all cheery.

Aging can cause a down-turned mouth, droopy outer eyebrows and sagging cheeks giving your face a sense of sadness.
I didn’t say “all” - or stereotype “all” . “Most” of the elderly in my family are angry, and I wrong about “most” of what my factual experience have been ?

Go on…

Old 12-09-2022, 02:14 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,289,467 times
Quote:
I didn’t say “all” - or stereotype “all” . “Most” of the elderly in my family are angry, and I wrong about “most” of what my factual experience have been ?

Go on…
Do you have any idea why they are angry?

Old 12-09-2022, 02:15 PM

6,311 posts, read 4,209,544 times
Quote:
Why do so many elderly become angry? Sure some have always been angry, but why do so many more become angry with age ? It would seem people should be more appreciative of a long life and all the enjoyment they had. Even if a persons life wasn’t that “great” they still lived longer than many. Doesn’t sunshine, a fresh breeze a baby’s giggle still mean something ?

Reread what I stated. Nobody is questioning your experience but your implication seems to be why do SO many and that’s where the questioning is. Not been my experience personally or professionally ( when I worked with the elderly), and others here don’t see “so” many either.

That said what do you think is making your elderly relatives angry and what would you like to do about it?

Old 12-09-2022, 02:16 PM

45,461 posts, read 60,680,465 times
Quote:
Why do so many elderly become angry? Sure some have always been angry, but why do so many more become angry with age ? It would seem people should be more appreciative of a long life and all the enjoyment they had. Even if a persons life wasn’t that “great” they still lived longer than many. Doesn’t sunshine, a fresh breeze a baby’s giggle still mean something ?
Quote:

Go on…
Don't see a word about your family in your initial post. I bolded the pertinent statements.

Old 12-09-2022, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Do you have any idea why they are angry?
Possibly? Some type of very very early onset dementia? It’s totally mysterious, they all seemed to have had a good life . That what makes even harder to understand actually.

Old 12-09-2022, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Don't see a word about your family in your initial post. I bolded the pertinent statements.
The title of the post ? “Dealing with Angry Elderly Relatives ?” Lol

Old 12-09-2022, 02:36 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,589,211 times
Besides the terror of or anger toward impending death, the elderly can be lonely.

It may not pertain to the specific angry relatives in thread title, but a good number of elderly face some isolation and loneliness..... and they may be frustrated too by not being able to fix it easily for themselves.

Old 12-09-2022, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Besides the terror of or anger toward impending death, the elderly can be lonely.

It may not pertain to the specific angry relatives in thread title, but a good number of elderly face some isolation and loneliness..... and they may be frustrated too by not being able to fix it easily for themselves.
We’re possibly considering generational housing- maybe something like the Waltons ?

Old 12-09-2022, 03:38 PM

23,351 posts, read 18,930,669 times
My dad was unhappy/dissatisfied about many things. He could be very polite, cheerful, and respectful when he wanted to be, but I suspect he spent much of his life angry and resentful about something. He was probably dealing with an autism spectrum disorder as he was socially awkward and had a lot of difficulty interpreting emotion. IME with him anyway, age does tend to magnify our inherent tendencies. Sort of distilling them down into a purer form.

Anger was the primary way he expressed his dissatisfaction and increasing insecurity, suspicion and assumptions that people intended to take advantage of him in some horrible way. So, he'd fly off the handle and lash out as if to fend the threat off. I suspect he was depressed for much of his life and had many regrets about the past he couldn't change. He was quite a grudge carrier. All this was on top of frustrations about everyday stuff like declining physical abilities and overall health, the declining vision and hearing he wouldn't do anything about, his miserliness, never-ending grief over my mother's passing from ALS, just resentment over the world at large. When people comment that someone's passing was a blessing, I suspect for him it really was.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-09-2022 at 03:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement