Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 09:59 AM

211 posts, read 402,835 times

Advertisements

For me, cooking new and interesting things is fun. Since it's just me for these adventures I cut the recipes in half. My aged dad still cooks for himself and depending on what I've cooked I will share the food, he's pretty basic tho so I know there are things I cook he'll have no interest in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2022, 11:25 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,396,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Those "baby" carrots sold in the store are broken and misshapen carrots thrown into a burnisher to peel them and then sold at a premium. I have gone back to buying 2# bags of regular carrots as they have a better taste.

We get real baby carrots out of our garden in March and April. Unfortunately, we can only grow enough for a few meals.
I really wish for things like carrots and celery you could buy a few at a time. Even for large recipes you seldom need more than a couple stalks of celery or 2-3 whole carrots - why can't they be divided into smaller packages than a pound or two pounds? They finally sell half a dozen eggs at a time - more produce could be divided similarly for a bit higher price but a LOT less waste.

Old 12-26-2022, 11:52 AM

16,395 posts, read 30,307,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I really wish for things like carrots and celery you could buy a few at a time. Even for large recipes you seldom need more than a couple stalks of celery or 2-3 whole carrots - why can't they be divided into smaller packages than a pound or two pounds? They finally sell half a dozen eggs at a time - more produce could be divided similarly for a bit higher price but a LOT less waste.

I have seen some markets that do sell celery and carrots in bulk. It is pretty expensive but it can be ideal.

I have watched them harvest celery. I would say that you are only getting about 60% of the stalks in your celery that was there when it was packed. Seriously.

The good think about carrots is they last for months if properly stored.

Old 12-26-2022, 11:56 AM

88,636 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Quote:
When I worked in the city and just needed a small amount of celery, like for soup or potato salad, I would go to one of the pay-by-the-ounce salad bars and get some chopped up. Have not been back to the city since before COVID, and I don't even know if they still have those places. There used to be one on every block in the downtown/financial district area.

I was just thinking about that. I have 2 post-Christmas duck carcasses. I want to make soup. A whole stalk of celery will be wasted when I just need a couple of ribs.

Old 12-26-2022, 11:58 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
I often compost vegetables like celery, put it in my neighbor's ongoing compost heap. Such a waste.

Old 12-26-2022, 11:59 AM

130,511 posts, read 12,138,084 times
Celery will last a long time. I wonder if you could freeze a few stalks, for future soups? Or make some celery salad. We can buy single carrots here, if a person only needs one or two carrots.

Sometimes I cook for one, it is not a problem, I just decide what I want & take out a single portion to cook.

Old 12-26-2022, 12:11 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
I think I'll just get salads in restaurants (there are very good ones around here) and let go for now my earlier preference for always having a salad going in the refrigerator. Start over some other time.

Old 12-26-2022, 12:19 PM

32,952 posts, read 36,412,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Celery will last a long time. I wonder if you could freeze a few stalks, for future soups? Or make some celery salad. We can buy single carrots here, if a person only needs one or two carrots.

Sometimes I cook for one, it is not a problem, I just decide what I want & take out a single portion to cook.
You can freeze it.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-freeze-celery-23325493

Old 12-26-2022, 12:24 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,966,396 times
Quote:
My local coop grocery used to sell carrots celery and a few other items by the piece. They stopped when COVID hit.

It seems more produce items are packaged now. Doesn't help the person who cooks for only one or two people. I have always been annoyed at this... not everyone shops for a family of 4.

Old 12-26-2022, 04:57 PM

104 posts, read 65,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
2) Buy an air fryer ...
Thanks to some nudging by Amazon ads, a friend, and a Black Friday sale, I purchased a dual-drawer air fryer with a meat/protein thermometer. It's enabled me to explore new, small-portion meals I wouldn't have tried before.

I've little food prep skills and/or patience, and I especially like the "finish cooking two food types at the same time" feature many of the dual-drawer fryers offer. While food shopping (almost always online and picked up for no/little service charge), I've been able to find suitable food packaging sizing for this new toy, and it fits my "me and my shadow" situation better than, say, using my oven. The stovetop for scrambled eggs is about it, and I rarely microwave now.

Last edited by ncwheeling; 12-26-2022 at 05:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement