Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 02:50 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times

Advertisements

While not directly I am asking it here as many here are single/widow/widower so cooking for one is an interest. Has anyone tried delivered meal(s) kit such as Blue Apron?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2022, 02:59 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
I get a Hello Fresh box every week with two meals (4 servings). It's perfect for me and they are always delicious.

Old 12-20-2022, 03:02 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
While not directly I am asking it here as many here are single/widow/widower so cooking for one is an interest. Has anyone tried delivered meal(s) kit such as Blue Apron?
I did. Tried Hello Fresh for a time. They were offering a limited-time deal, so I got it for a month or six weeks or something. Each meals is actually two meals, since you are not sharing with anyone.

I did enjoy trying some new things I wouldn't have otherwise likely tried, and I liked that you get just the right amount and don't have to buy a huge quantity of a spice or food and then have it sit in your cabinet for the rest of your life, but I cancelled at the end of the trial period.

Most of the recipes are involved and take more time than I want to take to prepare something I'm going to eat in a few minutes, even though I did get two meals each time. Also, where I can see it being kind of fun if you are preparing new foods with someone else, it wasn't fun to me to do it alone.

The other thing was that at the time I was eating vegetarian, so I was paying for chick peas and farro the same prices that people were paying who were getting meat and fish.

Old 12-20-2022, 03:09 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
I've never had delivered meals except a handful of times by Doordash fast food from restaurants.

I just go to the store, buy some food and cook it when I feel like it. That's my cooking for one and have been doing it for years. It works well for me.

Old 12-20-2022, 03:09 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
What I like about HF is that you can pause it any time if you don't like the choices for that week or (as sometimes happens to me) the meals start stacking up. I always freeze the protein as soon as the box comes so I am not rushed to prepare the meals right away.

I've found that I'm sometimes too spent after work to cook a meal from scratch, so I've started doing the cooking during my lunch hour when I have more energy and need a brain break. I plate it, fridge it, and heat it up for dinner (and the other portion is the next day's lunch or dinner.

Old 12-20-2022, 03:28 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I did Hello Fresh for a while to try and learn how to cook but I hate learning and cooking. I know get Factor75- 6 meals a week and find them quite satisfying. Usually eat half in the afternoon and half in the evening. They have vegan and veg options, plus keto and so on. Delivery every Tuesday and heat in the microwave. Saves me from my absolute dislike of cooking.

Old 12-20-2022, 03:46 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,686,150 times
Walking distance to a food court is key to me in retirement. No need to cook, just walk, get exercise and get a wide variety of food to eat.

Old 12-20-2022, 07:19 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I live alone during the week.

I'll either get premade meals from Kroger or Publix - a lot of seafood, some beef/chicken/pork dishes, or cook simple meals at home. I just dine out if I want something better.

Old 12-20-2022, 07:40 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
I am a Cowgirl. Cooking for myself is part of what I do. Actually, that is how I got into lentils because of Robyn Davidson https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robyn_Davidson from her Aussie Outback trek "Tracks". Those on personal quests which I love reading usually didn't have others cooking for them.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 12-20-2022 at 07:52 PM..

Old 12-20-2022, 07:56 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,049,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

The other thing was that at the time I was eating vegetarian, so I was paying for chick peas and farro the same prices that people were paying who were getting meat and fish.
I get the vegetarian option from Hello Fresh and do resent paying the same as those getting meat. We get it about once a month at this point.

We got Blue Apron almost every week for years but quit when they changed from FedEx to Laser shipping in my area.

We also got Dinnerly for a while but stopped when there were delivery issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement