Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 10:01 PM

3,117 posts, read 2,098,450 times

Advertisements

I am a "stay-at-home" type of person so now that a job doesn't require me to go out 6 days a week I don't go unless required to. But I've known many people, friends and relatives, who love to drive around and shop as much as possible.

Amazon has made my life so much better by delivering to me directly, saves so much time and money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2022, 05:05 AM

23,649 posts, read 14,169,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I am a "stay-at-home" type of person so now that a job doesn't require me to go out 6 days a week I don't go unless required to. But I've known many people, friends and relatives, who love to drive around and shop as much as possible.

Amazon has made my life so much better by delivering to me directly, saves so much time and money.
Well, of course, a problem with Amazon is all that packaging.......unless one has got a recycling bin to take it all away.

Me, I don't, and that sort of puts me in a trap of sorts. I don't get one because I don't want to lose that link with the community, going out to the recycling place, being part of the effort. But gathering everything together, loading up the truck, is such a hurdle, too!

As far as whether Amazon saves money or not, I am not so sure. Individually, perhaps, but in the long run, when it is the pangs of I want, I want, I want answered so easily.......it seems so much money goes to them........as oppose to hurdle of going out and shopping stopping the buy.

Old 12-27-2022, 06:59 AM

4,197 posts, read 3,128,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, of course, a problem with Amazon is all that packaging.......unless one has got a recycling bin to take it all away.

Me, I don't, and that sort of puts me in a trap of sorts. I don't get one because I don't want to lose that link with the community, going out to the recycling place, being part of the effort. But gathering everything together, loading up the truck, is such a hurdle, too!

As far as whether Amazon saves money or not, I am not so sure. Individually, perhaps, but in the long run, when it is the pangs of I want, I want, I want answered so easily.......it seems so much money goes to them........as oppose to hurdle of going out and shopping stopping the buy.
You need a flamethrower:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Christmas.html

Old 12-27-2022, 07:08 AM

9,575 posts, read 5,372,833 times
I consolidate trips 'to town' whenever I can, running all my errands in one trip, to save time and gasoline $$. Now that the price per gallon has gone down somewhat here, I might make the random trip here and there just because I want to do something.
In summer, I go to outdoor rec places and I do that whenever I want. Nothing is that far from me.

Old 12-27-2022, 08:05 AM

8,202 posts, read 4,081,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This. So many seem to think "retirement" is equivalent to suddenly being dropped into some 4th dimension. It isn't. Everyday stuff still needs to get done just as it did before. The main difference I've noticed is having more control over when. It wasn't rocket science before and it still isn't.
Very true.

I'm of the opinion there is no such thing as retirement; you just change what you do every day.

Just as we had objectives & goals in our professional lives while drawing a paycheck, we also have objectives & goals in our private lives. Few among us stop collecting a paycheck on Friday only to begin a life of watching Wheel of Fortune marathons on Monday.

Old 12-27-2022, 09:18 AM

8,202 posts, read 4,081,158 times
Quote:
The day after Christmas and I was thinking of going shopping, at least for turkey.
Our local wild turkeys are quite intelligent. Christmas dinner is behind us on the calendar, so they've re-emerged. We have a rafter of about 15 to 20 or so that are hanging out in the 'hood.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 12-27-2022 at 09:27 AM..

Old 12-27-2022, 09:40 AM

12,174 posts, read 8,560,331 times
Like the pix, Mogul. A rafter of turkeys!

They live in our hills here. Think they own the place. Came around a corner going up a hill and one was in the middle of the road and not inclined to yield right of way. Had to open the car door to encourage him.

Pre-retirement I loved to be out and about. Now I enjoy being in my home. I keep a running list of what I need and when it gets long enough I plan my route and do it in one fell swoop. Part of my reasoning is the cost of gas.

DH, on the other hand, wants to get out every day so often I can ask him to pick up a thing or two on my list when he's in the right area. There are pros and cons. Don't always know what I'm going to get when he picks it up!

I once wrote "nice rolls" and he came back with rice cakes. Said they didn't have any rice rolls. Good thing I didn't write "nice buns." Who knows what may have come back with him?

Old 12-27-2022, 10:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,853 posts, read 58,461,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
You need a flamethrower:
I have the econo version, and am forced to use it in my Texas community that no longer has any recycling.

The chips are falling where they lay much more often as I age, and not longer physically able to rise as the Phoenix. Priorities, interests, capabilities, and dreams change (more quickly when aged). Be prepared, it's not all gonna get done, especially on a farm.

Turkey? Keep your eye and ears open... A friend found frozen turkeys on sale for $0.19 / # after Christmas last year. Next trip to town they were $0.16,. Then $0.13. he ended up with 13 in the freezer, so I was transporting them around as 'carry-on' luggage. We shared many a turkey with friends around the country. Since HEB had a free turkey if you bought a ham.... I now have plenty of each.

Old 12-27-2022, 11:01 AM

15,106 posts, read 12,299,420 times
Quote:
The day after Christmas and I was thinking of going shopping, at least for turkey. But, between things such as having to be in town tomorrow and things to be done here, I decided to hold off till tomorrow, because, after all, I have to be in town tomorrow.

Is that way it will run in retirement, deciding not to do things until one absolutely has to be there?
Might depend on how far away you live from your destination, the urgency in which you need the items you are shopping for or the errands done, whether or not you just feel like going somewhere. We live a little ways out in the.boonies ( love it there), with most destinations being between 12 and 20 miles from our home. We tend to wait
until we have plans or a need to go there, and combine our errands to do them when we need to make those trips. I tend to do a lot more procrastinating in retirement, mainly because I have more time to do things and much of what I do is flexible in its timing.

Old 12-27-2022, 11:31 AM

5,619 posts, read 6,570,690 times
"For me, yes, but I know other retired folk who just love to go anywhere at the drop of a hat and they take little trips to stores and whatnot all the time, even just to look at things. I need a real reason to bestir myself to go into town, like I have an appointment or my library books are due or I need to pick up a grocery order, and when I do, I bundle as many errands as I can into the trip. I'd just rather be at home."

^^^^This is me to a "t".

Last edited by Lodestar 77; 12-27-2022 at 12:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement