Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2023, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,611 times

Advertisements

We are currently living in crowded and expensive northern Bergen County , NJ. We are thinking of selling our home that we have lived in for 30 years and moving to the Hudson River valley, specifically a Tollbrothers community in Beacon , NY. We have adult children in NYC. Questions about experiences living as an active 65 plus . Concerned that we would be too far from our kids ( about 65 miles away) and good access to health care, etc. excited though about living in an area close to nature having a new adventure. Would appreciate input.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2023, 05:53 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
we have friends in a toll brothers community near beacon in fishkill .

they love it

Old 04-25-2023, 07:51 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,377,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resilientgoddess View Post
We are currently living in crowded and expensive northern Bergen County , NJ. We are thinking of selling our home that we have lived in for 30 years and moving to the Hudson River valley, specifically a Tollbrothers community in Beacon , NY. We have adult children in NYC. Questions about experiences living as an active 65 plus . Concerned that we would be too far from our kids ( about 65 miles away) and good access to health care, etc. excited though about living in an area close to nature having a new adventure. Would appreciate input.
We are potentially interested in the area also. Trying to stay out of Westchester County -- taxes are outrageous. But also concerned about healthcare.

Old 04-25-2023, 08:55 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Hudson River valley reminds me of Rip van Winkle and Ichabod Crane. In Sleepy Hollow NY they have these tours of the favorite haunts, literally of where Winkle and the headless Horseman supposedly appeared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlXqYLNg8EA

Old 04-25-2023, 09:01 AM

88,514 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resilientgoddess View Post
I am going to crowded and expensive Bergen County for dinner tonight with old high school classmates. In Monmouth now, but also will likely end upstate NY.

What is it about Beacon that draws you? I am thinking maybe Ithaca area, but open to ideas. Beacon is a closer shot to the city, which could be an advantage. I don't know much about it, otherwise.

Old 04-25-2023, 10:52 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am thinking maybe Ithaca area, but open to ideas. Beacon is a closer shot to the city, which could be an advantage. I don't know much about it, otherwise.
I've lived in Ithaca and loved it. Is there a big Hasidim presence in Beacon? That can be an issue for some folks.

Old 04-25-2023, 11:30 AM

306 posts, read 195,013 times
I spent my first 49 years living in Westchester County. It is indeed expensive, and the surrounding counties (Putnam, Dutchess, Rockland and Orange) were only moderately more affordable, with the tradeoff being that they were that much farther away from NYC. The entire area offers excellent healthcare. Even after moving to Central PA, I still made the 8 hour round trip to see my Westchester doctor, for the four years that I was there. It was only after moving to SC last year, that my doctor said "enough is enough".

Old 04-25-2023, 06:03 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,413 times
I have a close artist friend who moved to Beacon from Brooklyn 12 years ago. She loves it. The train to NYC is handy and a beautiful trip along the River (I’ve ridden it several times). The town has turned into a fun, friendly, arty community.

Old 04-25-2023, 06:08 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Beacon has a wonderful reputation for the arts and convenience. It's only about 90 minutes on MetroNorth to Grand Central Terminal. Handy for trips to NYC when the mood strikes.

The DIA-Beacon is located in a former Nabisco box-printing factory and presents Dia’s collection of art from the 1960s to the present as well as special exhibitions and public programs.

There are many towns along in the Hudson River valley that are having a resurgence and emerging as desirable places to live.

New York-Stewart International Airport is gaining more flights all the time. If you can avoid going to LGA, JFK, or EWR, all the better.

"Non-stop air service to these destinations is available from New York Stewart International:

International: Reykjavik, Iceland with connections to Europe

Domestic: Ft. Lauderdale, Myrtle Beach, Orlando, Orlando-Sanford, Punta Gorda, Savannah, Tampa, St. Pete-Clearwater and Atlanta"

Medical services won't be the same as where you currently are, but New York-Presbyterian Hudson Valley Hospital is about 35 minutes south. There are hospitals closer, but I am not as familiar with them. When my DH was being treated at Memorial Sloan-Ketting, we traveled from Connecticut to NYC. Sometimes we stayed over in NYC and made a "treat" of the trip. It's doable.

Old 04-28-2023, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,611 times
Default Possible retirement to beacon from Bergen county.

Thank you so much for these helpful replies. We are going up tomorrow to look at toll house properties in beacon and fish kill. As a nurse practitioner and someone who has had some medical challenges, I am concerned about access to good healthcare. I was wondering if anyone has experiences with HV hospitals etc. both my adult children live in NYC, so I don't want to be too far from them, but we are priced out of Bergen county and Westchester. Our current home is 100 years old and the bathroom and bedrooms are up a steep flight of stairs. The cost of our current house ( which is in a great area for families) could go to a new construction toll brothers and we could have a bathroom and bedroom on the first floor. So those are my current thoughts. If anyone has any more input about healthcare experiences , I would be most grateful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement