Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 04:05 PM

7,910 posts, read 3,885,814 times

Advertisements

Here's a short interview between Christine Benz from Morningstar and Michael Kitces, a financial planning expert:

https://www.morningstar.com/articles...-in-retirement

As we all know, Michael Kitces is mathjak107's love child, so I'll go out on a limb and guess the comments in the interview are likely to be mathjak-approved.

I thought some folks here might like to read the interview.

How to Sequence Withdrawals in Retirement
Financial planning expert Michael Kitces discusses strategies to help retirees smooth out their tax bills in the drawdown phase.

It begins:

Quote:
Christine Benz: Hi, I’m Christine Benz from Morningstar. Figuring out where to source withdrawals in retirement is perennially a hot topic for individual investors and their advisors. I recently sat down with financial planning expert, Michael Kitces, to get his take on that question.

Michael, thank you so much for being here.

Michael Kitces: Absolutely. My pleasure. Appreciate the opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2023, 04:33 PM

8,394 posts, read 4,416,345 times
Speaking of "smoothing tax bills", I am being audited by the IRS. It appears that people who have solid after-tax funds to live on (such as return of their after-tax annuity premium in the form of non-taxable portion of annuity income) may not be eligible for ACA tax refund, despite adequately low AGI (ie, taxable income). Interesting that it coincides with Bernie Sanders calling for annual taxation of total assets, rather than of newly earned income. Stay tuned; I'll let you know how it ends.

If people end up means-tested to the point of taxation of assets (rather than taxation of newly generated income), the IRA withdrawal strategy, or any other pattern of withdrawal of savings in retirement, may become irrelevant - we could be taxed over and over and over again on funds that were taxed before.

Old 05-19-2023, 05:06 PM

106,842 posts, read 109,092,448 times
one of the best kitces interviews for learning . it should be required listening for retirees going to be creating their own income stream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sUl_04g-CQ

Old 05-19-2023, 05:56 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,218,128 times
I've seen this video before..its great....4% SWR really is based on worst of the worst.....chances are 5-6% is fine....Think I've been at 3-3.5%.....

Old 05-20-2023, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
I've seen this video before..its great....4% SWR really is based on worst of the worst.....chances are 5-6% is fine....Think I've been at 3-3.5%.....
same , as our portfolio grew over the last 8 years our draw as a percentage has fallen closer to 3%

Old 05-20-2023, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
it really does a great job explaining things .

most people are clueless and don’t understand a swr at all .which is why you see so many wrong comments

Old 05-20-2023, 03:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,762 posts, read 58,170,577 times
It's easy to fall into a Bear Trap if you choose to not learn and implement a withdrawal strategy that fits your plan.

Coworker who paid for 'the best' financial guidance left employment with a huge severance, and advised to take a huge 401k loan. Both were fully taxable as a distribution and it crippled future retirement funds + made for a huge tax obligation surprise 20 months after the advice and withdrawals. (Too late to fix).

Old 05-20-2023, 03:54 AM

something few give thought to is what kind of changes will they be making investment wise ….

many may be 100% equities through their accumulation stage. then as they get close to retirement switch to a more conservative portfolio or something like wellesley which is a popular retiree choice .

well having decades of pent up gains in index funds can leave you with a tax torpedo …

i was lucky as i made my changes in 2007 as i thought i would retire earlier then i did when we bought the house in the poconos .

well i was using all managed fidelity funds so i paid taxes over the years …i could make my changes all in one year and done .

had i had decades of pent up taxes from etfs and indexing i would have had a tax torpedo to deal with .

i would have ran smack into 2008 with still high levels of equities because i would have had to spread my changes out over years .

so having great tax efficiency can end up as horrible tax efficiency down the road

Old 05-20-2023, 06:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,762 posts, read 58,170,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
something few give thought to is what kind of changes will they be making investment wise ….

... having great tax efficiency can end up as horrible tax efficiency down the road
Thus... Plan your options for dealing with taxes, and withdrawals, and surprises.

Thank goodness for Section 179 accelerated depreciation, 1031 exchanges, collecting payments over time on appreciated properties, 72t, Roth rolls, backdoor Roths, QCDs.... But my favorite tax tool has been my DAF (donor advised fund) started when I was in my 30s. It's been a pleasure to distribute those tax free highly appreciated funds during ~20 yrs with no wage income. The DAF will last until QCDs, or possibly forever. Been distributing 10%+ annually since 1990 from self managed DAF, and it keeps growing, so I upped withdrawal to 20% to sustain balance through my lifetime.

Find a plan and tools that meet your objectives. (For life, not only for tomorrow)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 05-20-2023 at 06:19 AM..

Old 05-20-2023, 06:50 AM

well i am not about to give more money away to charity then i want to just to save the taxes …

i never let the tax tail wag the investment dog.

in fact even delaying taxes on things like 1031 or tax loss harvesting or just holding off selling can bite you .

it bit me hard when we delayed selling our commercial lease rights and the capital gains taxes on our income jumped from 15% to 23.80% and since it was two years before medicare they wanted to surcharge us .

so delaying or kicking that tax can down the road can have unanticipated outcomes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement