Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2023, 09:09 AM

52 posts, read 60,872 times

Advertisements

Looking for research or recommended books for how to successfully prepare for the transition from full work to full free time.

Mid 50’s and a year out from stopping work cold. Few interests/hobbies currently. I understand that is not a recipe for success and happiness in retirement. Finances are all taken care of, but the rest of happiness needs attention.

What prep or resources were helpful to you in making that transition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2023, 09:13 AM

22,630 posts, read 47,766,032 times
Happiness is a choice you make every day.

What do YOU want to do? Retirement is different for everyone!

Old 07-15-2023, 09:23 AM

5,642 posts, read 24,977,156 times
I find too many people focus primarily on finances and unfortunately spend too little time on lifestyle and activities. Try to have plans for hobbies, interests, and physical activity.

Old 07-15-2023, 09:43 AM

7,927 posts, read 3,892,105 times
There is no such thing as retirement. You just change what you do.

Just as you have objectives, strategies and tactics in your professional life, so also you need to develop objectives, strategies and tactics in your private life.

Apply the same disciplines you learned over your professional career to the planning function for retirement.

Old 07-15-2023, 09:43 AM

8,280 posts, read 8,677,744 times
Might be a good time to think about any travel you may be interested in. That is something you shouldn't put off.

Old 07-15-2023, 09:45 AM

8,395 posts, read 4,418,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D E 2 View Post
Looking for research or recommended books for how to successfully prepare for the transition from full work to full free time.

Mid 50’s and a year out from stopping work cold. Few interests/hobbies currently. I understand that is not a recipe for success and happiness in retirement. Finances are all taken care of, but the rest of happiness needs attention.

What prep or resources were helpful to you in making that transition?
If you have been around for 50+ years, you must have noticed some things that you really enjoy doing :-). So when you retire, you can enjoy them full-time.

If you do not enjoy anything except working, than maybe you should not retire, despite financial security.

If you do not enjoy anything at all (including working), then at least after you retire you can sleep as much as you want.

Like probably the majority of seniors, I enjoy travel because it includes a very substantial novelty, something that otherwise does not occur much in the settled life of seniors. Since I am a solo traveler and make fairly complex travel arrangements (as I am interested in somewhat uncommon places), planning my travels takes a lot of time. I am also an avid reader, and finally have time to read books all the time, and there is no chance I'll be able to finish everything I want to read; I'd need about ten lifetimes :-). But you do whatever you enjoy doing; there is no universal recipe. Retirement is freedom - you fill it with whatever floats your boat.

Old 07-15-2023, 10:37 AM

5,254 posts, read 3,620,053 times
I've found after 10 years that there are 3 things that are pre-eminent for a solid retirement; good health, financial security & decent social connections. It's probably rare that all three are set up perfectly but it is a good road map to try for.

Old 07-15-2023, 10:48 AM

844 posts, read 423,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I've found after 10 years that there are 3 things that are pre-eminent for a solid retirement; good health, financial security & decent social connections. It's probably rare that all three are set up perfectly but it is a good road map to try for.
^This^

Stay busy after retirement. Whether it's hobbies, travel, projects, just make sure you stay busy.

Old 07-15-2023, 11:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,763 posts, read 58,180,906 times
We know ZERO about you, but you can find books about us
Everyone is different.
Finances are done? you're free.

@ age 49 retirement (just quit working, no retirement... pension / Healthcare)
Neighbor gals gave me:
Ernie Zelinski - International Bestselling Author, Innovator, Speaker, and Unconventional Career Expert - How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free

...Retirement Wisdom That You Won’t Get
from Your Financial Advisor

by Ernie J. Zelinski

and what to do with your life after age 50...
https://www.amazon.com/<b>Guide-Life.../dp/0764584782

I actually didn't need any ideas, I have found plenty to do for neary 20 yrs of retirement, 30+ to go (maybe).

Transition was simple... walked out the door to a new (renewed) life. I'm grateful (but not rich).

Friends I feel were most successful and happy had their ducks in a row the day they left the office... House sold, moving van packed.

On to the next chapter. (BTW: a search "What to do after retirement?" will keep you reading for a few weeks

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-15-2023 at 11:33 AM..

Old 07-15-2023, 11:20 AM

11,164 posts, read 9,792,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
There is no such thing as retirement. You just change what you do.

Just as you have objectives, strategies and tactics in your professional life, so also you need to develop objectives, strategies and tactics in your private life.

Apply the same disciplines you learned over your professional career to the planning function for retirement.
OMG, that sounds too much like work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement