Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 02:49 PM

2,090 posts, read 1,016,740 times

Advertisements

You can't take it with you, but at least do something meaningful or useful with it.

A few years ago I received an unexpected card and check from a very distant family friend. I vaguely remember him from childhood. Something about getting old and having too much money, here's a gift for you...it was a check for $250. LOL! I mean, it was a nice surprise, but more like flaunting themself rather than being generous enough to make a difference in someone's life. I wonder what everyone else on his "money list" received.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2023, 03:09 PM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
You can't take it with you, but at least do something meaningful or useful with it.

A few years ago I received an unexpected card and check from a very distant family friend. I vaguely remember him from childhood. Something about getting old and having too much money, here's a gift for you...it was a check for $250. LOL! I mean, it was a nice surprise, but more like flaunting themself rather than being generous enough to make a difference in someone's life. I wonder what everyone else on his "money list" received.
I would have appreciated the fact that he remembered me and thought about me. $250 isn't about the money, but the gesture IMO. I think you missed the point.

Old 09-03-2023, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I would have appreciated the fact that he remembered me and thought about me. $250 isn't about the money, but the gesture IMO. I think you missed the point.
It was a nice gesture, I'm not arguing that. I was starting a new business at the time and the $250 was referenced as "a little something to help you get started". I was 40, not 14, and it made me feel pitied or patronized more than anything. I was polite and sent a thank-you card, there was nothing much to say and I never heard from this person again, he probably died with all of his money from the work of doleing it out in $250 increments.

Getting back to the thread topic, if one is wealthy enough to give away their wealth, make it count. One poster mentioned giving $22K to a family member - that's HUGE for a lot of people and in my case would have helped me get my business up and running with long term results. $250? It was gone within a day...groceries and a tank of gas.

Old 09-03-2023, 04:40 PM

9,144 posts, read 6,196,866 times
I am not wealthy, but I have started to distribute my "fortune" to family and friends.

It gives me pleasure to see people enjoying the money. Some of the younger people use the money as part of a down payment on a house. Others use it for education.

Slightly older people use it for vacations they would not otherwise have. Some use it to add to their IRA.

Even though I believe in the world to come, it's nice for me to see people enjoying the money while I'm still here.

Old 09-03-2023, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I am not wealthy, but I have started to distribute my "fortune" to family and friends. It gives me pleasure to see people enjoying the money.
That's good of you, and I feel the same way. If I had money I didn't need, I would put it to good use and share it with those needing it for a step up. Make a difference in their lives.

Far too much money ends up in probate/government hands, or with lawyers. Much better to gift it directly to people while you can.

Old 09-03-2023, 05:59 PM

7,602 posts, read 3,260,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Not if they are owned by a government. Some shelters may have a friends group that donates to them that is a 501c3 (like a friend of the library or friend of a museum).

I advise anyone that is considering a donation to review that charity on Guide Star or Charity Navigator before donating or making that charity a beneficiary of something.
yes, of course you have to do your due diligence...

Old 09-04-2023, 08:18 AM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
yes, of course you have to do your due diligence...
Yes, you sure do. After yesterday I checked and learned my county animal shelter is not a 501C, owned and run by the county using county money.

On the other hand, there is a local humane society which is a legit charity.

I have nothing against the county animal shelter, but there is no guarantee any money left to them would end up helping animals instead of a road paving project.

Old 09-04-2023, 09:50 AM

9,144 posts, read 6,196,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Yes, you sure do. After yesterday I checked and learned my county animal shelter is not a 501C, owned and run by the county using county money.

On the other hand, there is a local humane society which is a legit charity.

I have nothing against the county animal shelter, but there is no guarantee any money left to them would end up helping animals instead of a road paving project.

I agree.

On August 12, 1986, Ronald Reagan said, “the nine most terrifying words in the English language are: “I’m from the government, and I’m here to help.”

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement