Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 05:28 PM

8,394 posts, read 4,416,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
People of certain political inclination like to blame the government workers for everything but this seems like a particularly cheap shot. As you well know, the laws of this country are written by the politicians and voted on by our elected representatives. So, if you do not like IRMAA or how it works (I hate it), direct your anger at the lawmakers' poor framing of the IRMAA brackets developed, I think, to fund Obama-care subsidies that some here are enjoying. If you want to cast a wider net - blame it on how everything has become so tribal that bipartisan ideas to balance considerations have disappeared from the political discourse. The government workers are responsible for all other ills in the world, except this one.

Oh, I know what I am talking about. I just had some protracted dealings with government workers earlier this year - weeks and weeks of an audit of a really simple tax return. Government workers do not seem to be paid to understand what they are doing, so I imagine laws have to be created with that in mind as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2023, 09:46 PM

3,104 posts, read 2,234,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Oh, I know what I am talking about. I just had some protracted dealings with government workers earlier this year - weeks and weeks of an audit of a really simple tax return. Government workers do not seem to be paid to understand what they are doing, so I imagine laws have to be created with that in mind as well.
I don't think that anyone going through the tax audit comes out appreciating the kindness of the IRS agents. But, what you are doing is merely venting and trying to associate your tax audit experience with how IRMAA is structured - a leap in logic that is, as you well know, beyond far fetched.

Old 10-03-2023, 09:41 AM

8,394 posts, read 4,416,345 times
Quote:
I don't think that anyone going through the tax audit comes out appreciating the kindness of the IRS agents. But, what you are doing is merely venting and trying to associate your tax audit experience with how IRMAA is structured - a leap in logic that is, as you well know, beyond far fetched.
I am not talking about any "kindness" of the IRS agents, but their competence and their purpose. They were indeed "kind", no issue with that, but their job description does not appear to include much understanding of tax regulations. It took several months to resolve a total non-issue clearly spelled out in the tax instructions, which I had followed unequivocally when I filed the taxes. In the end, nothing was changed from the way I originally filed the return, except approximately 80 hours of wasted time and some additional cost of xeroxing and faxing them from FedEx the same paperwork which they already had, with my cover letters to explain to them their own fairly straight-forward tax rules :-). Btw, I also remained "kind" and patient throughout the "process" myself, since I'm aware it is dangerous and not worth it to trigger a pathetic moron by overtly showing lack of respect for his/her stupidity :-).

I do think that Soc Security/Medicare legislation takes the above matters into the account, ie, aims to "reduce the administrative burden". Extra 80 hours of futile busywork per citizen, to resolve a non-existent problem regarding a fairly simple payment of dues to a government entity (whether the IRS or Medicare) surely must result in increased governmental expenses.

Old 10-03-2023, 01:16 PM

5,332 posts, read 6,032,683 times
Quote:
People of certain political inclination like to blame the government workers for everything but this seems like a particularly cheap shot. As you well know, the laws of this country are written by the politicians and voted on by our elected representatives. So, if you do not like IRMAA or how it works (I hate it), direct your anger at the lawmakers' poor framing of the IRMAA brackets developed, I think, to fund Obama-care subsidies that some here are enjoying. If you want to cast a wider net - blame it on how everything has become so tribal that bipartisan ideas to balance considerations have disappeared from the political discourse. The government workers are responsible for all other ills in the world, except this one.
The IRMMA brackets were developed to slightly reduce the burden on taxpayers who shoulder the roughly 80% of the cost of our Medicare B and D premiums. Beneficiaries pay the remaining 20%.

Old 10-03-2023, 04:19 PM

3,104 posts, read 2,234,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
The IRMMA brackets were developed to slightly reduce the burden on taxpayers who shoulder the roughly 80% of the cost of our Medicare B and D premiums. Beneficiaries pay the remaining 20%.
Only partially true... There is an ACA component to the IRMAA premiums.

https://www.irmaasolutions.com/the-h...irmaa-brackets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement