Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 12:39 AM

357 posts, read 225,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I don't think my taxes will be all that bad but what do you think?

This supposedly figures taxes you will pay on your social security benefits.

https://www.calcxml.com/do/how-much-...t-may-be-taxed

But before I go any farther let me tell you I NEVER figure my own taxes I always and always use a licensed certified public accountant. If there is ever an issue with the IRS I do not want to be the one to answer any questions I let my accountant do it.

Married filing jointly.

Taxable IRA distributions: $6,960
Pension Benefits: $4,400
Social Security Benefits: $55,128 (Gross before any deductions for our Plan B's)
Total Income: $66,488

The website comes up with an estimate of only $762 due on our social security income. Mind you taxes would be more as the $762 is ONLY the tax on our social security but if we add the pensions and IRA withdrawals how much would our tax really increase?

To be on the safe side my plan is to have social security automatically deduct $100/month. Do you think that would cover me?

Oh, I am still working but I plan to actually retire on my 75th birthday which is just a few months away. And yes, I will talk to my accountant prior to doing anything.
Try this calculator. As far as I can see, you won’t pay income taxes once you’re no longer working.

https://www.irscalculators.com/tax-calculator
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2023, 06:00 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,084,112 times
Correct. IF you plan on that income after you stop working, (ie no increase in IRA withdrawals) then the standard deduction will more than absorb the miscellaneous income, and so SS will be tax free as well.

However, if you will increase IRA withdrawals to compensate for the loss of your working income, then be VERY aware of the Tax Torpedo, which has been discussed often here. If at all possible it will help to keep withdrawals low enough to stay below the income point where SS is taxed.

Old 08-31-2023, 09:33 AM

3,054 posts, read 3,321,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Correct. IF you plan on that income after you stop working, (ie no increase in IRA withdrawals) then the standard deduction will more than absorb the miscellaneous income, and so SS will be tax free as well.

However, if you will increase IRA withdrawals to compensate for the loss of your working income, then be VERY aware of the Tax Torpedo, which has been discussed often here. If at all possible it will help to keep withdrawals low enough to stay below the income point where SS is taxed.
Problem is tax on Social Security begins at $25k (single) $32k (married) have 50% of Social Security taxed. Combines even tax-free income from muni bonds.

Then from $34k (single) $44k (married) have 85% of Social Security taxed.

These limits haven't changed & are fixed unless Congress passes new law.

What is happening is more & more Americans fit into these 2 brackets. Maybe in the $25-$34 bracket at 50% isn't so bad. But jumping to 85% is a different story. There were so many stories over how the large COLA pushed people into these brackets.

What you don't see here is where the $25-$34 brackets fit into your FIT.

Take 50% of $26k or $13k && see what FIT you pay. Maybe with SD don't pay anything yet. But pay on your other income.
But 84% of $34k or $28,900 now pay FIT

You can do withholding from unemployment at 10%, each check
From Social Security have the choice of 7-10-12-22%

Last edited by GWoodle; 08-31-2023 at 09:47 AM..

Old 08-31-2023, 10:58 AM

7,842 posts, read 3,836,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Now, putting quarterly tax payments on a credit card -- THAT I maybe, could sort-of see doing....
I may be mistaken, but I think if you put your tax payment on a credit care, you have to pay the credit card fee (something like 3% or so).

If, instead, you pay online (EFTPS), there is no fee, and thus you save yourself 3% (or whatever).

Last edited by moguldreamer; 08-31-2023 at 11:55 AM..

Old 08-31-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
If your taxes are reasonably small, just pay (prior to April 15 current year) 100% of your last year's tax liability as the whole estimated tax for the current year. Even if you undershoot, ie, owe more tax this year than you paid in ES tax, they won't penalize you if you paid the same you owed last year as the whole ES tax for this year.

If your taxable income is over a certain 6-digit figure, then you have to pay 110% of last year's tax liability in ES taxes for this year, to avoid penalty if you underpay for this year.

I don't know if this is clear. Just pay 100% of last year's tax (or 110% of last year's tax if you earn more than a certain figure - or if you want to be totally sure of no penalty) once a year, ie, before April 15 current year. You can pay the ES tax for the current year at the same time when you file your taxes for last year, so you don't forget. That is very simple, even for a very old person who doesn't want to think about taxes.
Yes, elnrgby, it is perfectly clear.

Old 08-31-2023, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I used the EFTPS today to send Uncle Sam some money.
Isn't it fun having an ungrateful relative on the payroll?

Old 09-04-2023, 08:54 PM

536 posts, read 481,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I may be mistaken, but I think if you put your tax payment on a credit care, you have to pay the credit card fee (something like 3% or so).

If, instead, you pay online (EFTPS), there is no fee, and thus you save yourself 3% (or whatever).
It's 1.9% fee, so if you use a card that pays 2.5% or 2.625%, you profit.

Old 09-05-2023, 06:42 AM

4,192 posts, read 2,514,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
For my occasional IRA withdrawals, I gross up the amount and have Schwab withhold 24%. Putting it simply, If I need $10,000 to pay for a vacation trip, I calculate the gross amount as 10,000/.76 = 13,157, then Schwab withholds 3,157.

That keeps things simple and ensures I don't have quarterly issues or any penalties for not paying estimated tax on time. And, don't have to prepare a coupon to mail to the IRS.
This is similar to what I do. I roughly figure my taxes twice a year, July and Dec. If enough isn't being withheld, I'll make an IRA withdrawal and then have a percentage withheld to ensure I get a small refund. Under payments of $1,000 are not penalized in case I mess up, so there is wiggle room.

Old 09-05-2023, 10:30 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
This is similar to what I do. I roughly figure my taxes twice a year, July and Dec. If enough isn't being withheld, I'll make an IRA withdrawal and then have a percentage withheld to ensure I get a small refund. Under payments of $1,000 are not penalized in case I mess up, so there is wiggle room.
I did an IRA withdrawal in December and had 80% withheld to get my withholding up to the right amount, once I knew all the numbers for the year for vacation payoff, wife's earnings and withholdings, etc.

Old 09-05-2023, 08:07 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times
For the years between retirement and collecting SS I plan to live on savings -- so will have no "earnings" -- and will do Roth Conversions up to the top of the 25% bracket so that will be my only "income."

So....it looks like I might HAVE to do quarterly payments? ...especially if I don't convert until later in the year.
Would you convert late in the year?

If I already know I'm going to convert, should I go ahead and do it early?
IF I convert early and have them withhold 25%, then no quarterly payments AND I'll know my taxes are already paid.

Now that I think about it, I'm leaning toward doing it after the tax season in May.

I will have had the previous year's last paycheck and vacation payout paid in that January. So some taxes will have been paid in that first quarter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement