Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 12:24 PM

746 posts, read 496,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crillon View Post
We didn't ask that time around. But, there was a previous ER visit when my husband was between jobs for over a year, and we had no insurance and dwindling savings. Of course, that's always when something happens. I had an ER visit due to chest pains brought on, as it turns out, from the anxiety/stress of my husband's unemployment. The hospital bill for 12 hours in the ER for a heart workup was $32,000 (20 years ago) with no insurance coverage. Doctor fees were only around $700 and I paid those bills right away. I spent months hounded by bill collectors for the hospital portion and then worked with the hospital directly negotiating that hospital bill down. Finally, when I was able to reach the right person with the authority to reduce it, I paid 25% of the total bill.
Oh wow, that happened to us too. Took us 15 years to get out from under those medical bills!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2023, 12:35 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Huge factor as I remain under an oncologists care and require yearly mammograms, meds, and observation. One town we were seriously looking at alas only had 2 oncologists and we learned from a local nurse he was a very unpleasant person. Their services were so limited and driving 2 hours to the nearest city for any specialized healthcare just ruined our dream of living in this town.

Old 09-15-2023, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I figure that our best bet is to retire in an area with lots to do so that we'll stay active, enjoy some entertainment and have the opportunity to meet other active retirees. Better to eat right, stay active and avoid needing doctors as much as possible.
Well I was very healthy, ate healthy, active, biking an hour 3 mornings and swimming laps at the ymca the other 2 mornings, walking every night with husband after work, and because we lived in a small village I pretty much walked everywhere. I rarely saw a doc except yearly mammo and paps , BUT hello, breast cancer

I could not have prevented this type of cancer no matter what. On the other hand at 68 I can do whatever i can in preventive and maintenance care, along with eating healthy, exercising, and 6 monthly visits with my oncologist and meds. I don’t crave doc visits any more than I do dental or eye doc check ups but it’s par for the course if I want to optimize my health.

Old 09-15-2023, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We caught my cancer from an annual blood test.

I never had any symptoms.

When I was doing my annual physical, I told my doctor that it was time for my cancer screening. She argued about it, saying that the industry no longer sees cancer screening as being worth the effort, due to too many false positives.

But the blood test does not determine if you have cancer, the blood test steers you toward having a biopsy that determines whether you have cancer. The blood test could have a false positive, who cares since it is not the determining factor that decides if you have cancer.
We caught my breast cancer on my yearly 3 d mammogram , no symptoms or lumps I could physically detect. The lump was tiny and had I not gone it would had spread through my lymph nodes. As it was because it was detected early, and hadn’t spread my treatment options and prognosis was good.

I am screened yearly through mammograms, blood tests and nowadays the occasional ct scan or x ray.
I am all for preventive care. When I was diagnosed I epitomized a healthy and active lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement