Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 01:37 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,105,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
That sounds excellent. I strongly support living in campers, as long as people park them in appropriate places (ie, campgrounds or trailer parks), rather than invading city streets as it's happening in the cities on the West Coast (along with all other more disturbing features of mass homelessness). But living responsibly in a camper seems like a really good way to live, at least for a while.
I agree that campers should park in official camp sites, but many seem to want to stealth camp. Which is cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2023, 01:59 PM

1,419 posts, read 753,549 times
I would like to note that we are in a nice roomy camper. We have most of the comforts of home and if you ever find us parked overnight in a Walmart parking lot, something has gone horribly wrong. We have our cats and this time we even have our car (so we aren't stuck driving the truck while camping) so life is pretty good.

Old 09-12-2023, 05:51 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,010,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I agree that campers should park in official camp sites, but many seem to want to stealth camp. Which is cheap.
It's not necessarily about being cheap, but more about not wanting to be clustered with people on either side of you. Totally depends on the facility - some have sites spaced apart in a natural setting, and other are packed into tidy rows like sardines in a can. Personally, I'd rather do dispersed or BLM camping, and stay at a developed site once a week or so to shower, do laundry, etc.

I agree about it being problematic when RVs are lining city streets and parking lots like we're seeing on the west coast. Pretty sure those people are desperate and not thrilled about their situation. Which is why I'd rather be in a normal van for the odd time I got stuck doing urban stealth camping. Less likely to offend anyone or be hassled.

Old 09-12-2023, 06:00 PM

844 posts, read 420,248 times
I remember reading a similar thread and talked about overnight parking at Walmart parking lot. Cracker Barrell also allows overnight parking. But always ask for permission first and have breakfast there next morning as a payback gesture of thanks.

Old 09-12-2023, 06:04 PM

17,380 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I would like to note that we are in a nice roomy camper. We have most of the comforts of home and if you ever find us parked overnight in a Walmart parking lot, something has gone horribly wrong. We have our cats and this time we even have our car (so we aren't stuck driving the truck while camping) so life is pretty good.
I love that arrangement. It looks so peaceful at your campsite. You can go there and just really unplug from it all.

Old 09-12-2023, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I love that arrangement. It looks so peaceful at your campsite. You can go there and just really unplug from it all.
You say unplug from it all, and of course you can, but one thing I'm seeing this year is campgrounds with wifi capable of streaming television (or working "from home") are much more common. This place has fiber internet and we're way out in the middle of nowhere. There's virtually no cell signal here, but we have high speed internet. What a world we live in.

Old 09-12-2023, 09:05 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
You say unplug from it all, and of course you can, but one thing I'm seeing this year is campgrounds with wifi capable of streaming television (or working "from home") are much more common. This place has fiber internet and we're way out in the middle of nowhere. There's virtually no cell signal here, but we have high speed internet. What a world we live in.
Just an FYI~

As an alternate to Walmart, you might be able to park at any Elks Lodge for free, too. (Especially if you're a member...)

Old 09-13-2023, 04:24 AM

I appreciate that, but everybody has their own way of traveling.

Personally, I never leave a campsite without knowing where I'll be staying that night, and it's almost never more than 4 or 5 hours drive down the road. I usually have reservations lined up at least 2 weeks in advance, sometimes more. We don't care about free, we want full hookups and a campfire. We particularly dislike overnight stops, preferring to stay at least 3 nights, preferably more.

On the subject of money, we're very much looking forward to not paying property taxes this year and we should have a nice refund coming for our homeowners insurance. We also don't miss the electric bills for a house we aren't using or paying the pool & lawn services every month when we aren't there. I know it's temporary, but this lifestyle is saving us a fair amount of money even after I pay the self-storage unit and campground fees.

Old 09-13-2023, 04:27 AM

7,570 posts, read 3,248,743 times
You might want to extend it another year or so Skippy

Old 09-13-2023, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
You might want to extend it another year or so Skippy
Much as I would hate to celebrate another's loss, I admit I'm rooting for a housing market correction. Nobody wants another 2008, but selling at the top and buying in the dip would be a nice bonus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement