Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2023, 03:31 PM

1,832 posts, read 812,274 times

Advertisements

When I was young & just beginning my career, former co-workers who had just retired would drop by. We would say hello but otherwise have to go about our work day. They looked kind of lost & disappointed. I told myself way back then that I wouldn’t be like that, co-workers forget you once you’re gone.

I looked at the synopsis of About Schmidt & that seems to be the storyline, so won’t be watching it.

Last edited by CalWorth; 11-06-2023 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2023, 10:44 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,615,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
I remember when Jack "the Chainsaw" Welch took over GE. He was a piece of work, I learned. He is/was one of the reasons I boycott General Electric. Such arrogance and cruelty to the workers........

Anyway, I went to watch About Schmidt on Roku and I have to pay for the privilege. I will wait until it is free to see it. Every movie I have heard about that I decided to see is a "pay for" movie. Guess I have good taste.........
If you can get Kanopy through a library membership you can watch it for free on Roku.

Old 11-07-2023, 11:11 AM

2,866 posts, read 1,814,881 times
adage ? Don't put all your eggs in one basket ?

Pursue other interests outside you career job ? Reminds me of my husband, accident at work left him with short term memory loss. Retired from the work force, age 40. Became the house husband. Created mouth watering baked goods---cjnnamon rolls, biscotti, stollen. The maintenance on our home, up to date.

Bruce was a building engineer, always doing something. Bless.

Old 11-08-2023, 08:33 AM

5,587 posts, read 6,521,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
If you can get Kanopy through a library membership you can watch it for free on Roku.
Thanks! Will try that. I DO have a library membership, and Kanopy is a familiar station logo.....maybe I already have it on my Roku choices.

Old 11-08-2023, 10:54 AM

905 posts, read 668,343 times
I own this movie on DVD. Watch it at least once a year. Always enjoy it.

Old 11-08-2023, 11:01 AM

905 posts, read 668,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
This is what I think of when I hear people say they'll never retire, or they want to work until 70, etc. I'm thinking that they must not have much of a family life if they'd rather be working than with the ones they supposedly love. (Obviously I'm not talking about single people here, before I get slammed for that.) I know people say they show their love in different ways, such as by being a good provider, but it means that maybe they can't, or won't, show it in the ways that their loved ones might need or appreciate more. Once you're past the point where you NEED to work to make sure everything is paid for, then you are into the realm where it seems you'd RATHER work than be with the family.
My husband is 68 and I will be 68 in 2 months. Hubby is working until he is 70 yrs and 2 months. He really likes his job. He is in sales. But he makes his own schedule. Want to work from home today? Sure. Friday he will still be on the clock-with his phone nearby but we are taking a ride up to Door County. Want to check out if we would like to retire there. I work part-time. I don't have any classes on Friday.
We still travel a lot. Our daughter, son in law and 2 youngest grandkids live with us. They are planning to buy our house-but with interest rates up may wait longer then next summer.

Our son and his wife live 3 hours away. We see them twice a month. They lived with us for 4 years-while grandson was in high school. Before my son landed his current fire chief job.

Why are we waiting to retire? No particular reason. He likes his job. We live a very full and active life. Hike on the weekends. Travel as we want. Last spring we followed our college grandson to AZ to watch him play baseball.
Not sure what else we will do when we retire. Still vacation and probably volunteer at the local theater, and help at the homeless shelter.

We are not working because we don't want to be with our family. One set we are with on a daily basis. Never miss a school function for them. Breakfast with grandparents, concerts, sports etc.

The one that is in college? Same we were present at everything. We can balance it all and have successfully. I am not sorry I left my full time job 2 years ago but I tutor from home now and love it. I will probably keep doing for a few more years. I work when I want and enjoy the interactions.

My uncle retired from farming-got a job as a cook in the local restaurant until he was 80. Loved his wife but needed to be more busy and she didn't want to travel etc. She wanted to sit and watch tv and he liked to be social. Not selfish just different interests.

Old 11-11-2023, 04:33 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,024,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
I think the post about this movie is relevant to the retirement forum. I've seen this movie a few times and it's kind of a cautionary tale about retiring and having nothing to retire to, or what you expected it to be, was not the case. I thought it was a bit depressing, although it does have it's humorous moments. Jack Nicholson is great in the role of Schmidt. As my own retirement approaches, I have a few fears about not being sure what I'll do after work no long consumes my life five days a week. It seems like a big gaping grand canyon of vast, endless time sprawling in front of me. Not a state of being that I've ever been privy to. Not yet any way.

Schmidt is a company man, or salary man as the Japanese say. He is lost after retiring and with the unexpected death of his wife, grown kids who really aren't in his life much, he's grappling with what comes next. He takes off alone in a RV and adventures ensue. I'd recommend the movie, but could hit a bit too close to home if you're struggling with your own retirement and feel the loss of work and all that entailed in your life.
And I was concerned about starting a post about Inspector Morse: The Remorseful Day.

Ie, Chief Super Strange: Why hasn't he retired yet?
Detective Sergeant Lewis: I think he is scared, Sir.

In the Morse episode, from my POV, it did look chilling of being in his tiny flat in the city with only to look at birds out his window.....but then remembering the other episodes, it got confusing because he was an Oxford Man involved in choirs and high academic gatherings. So I don't know.

As for myself, yes, I do fear somewhat. I fear for things that might happen that are easier to handle when I am working than if I was not. I fear what I would do each day so I don't fall into being a couch or computer sloth. I fear into slipping into a state of dress of just not caring anymore.

As far as such flicks, I don't seek them out, somewhere in the library is Harry & Tonto, but when the event comes up, I do watch the flick through. Odds are, though, it will touch me personally and probably not in a good way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Hadn't realized so many were ignorant of film "About Schmidt". Though more had seen the movie or were at least familiar with book on which it was based.

Felt AS was good topic for posting in this forum since film is about a man finding his way in life after retiring from life long career employment.

Warren Schmidt is a company man who in retirement becomes "yesterday's man".

Mr. Schmidt did everything he was taught and or was expected of him in post war USA. He married, had children, embarked on a career as an actuary and for next thirty some odd years was like thousands of company men of boomer or maybe bit of previous generation. Again Warren Schmidt was a company man. He left home each workday morning and devoted himself to a job/career which consumed major importance in his life. Then as often happened then (and still now) all heck breaks lose; WS is pushed into retirement.
Etc.

Well, part of what's on the table is.....some us don't come from that kind of life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
This is what I think of when I hear people say they'll never retire, or they want to work until 70, etc. I'm thinking that they must not have much of a family life if they'd rather be working than with the ones they supposedly love. (Obviously I'm not talking about single people here, before I get slammed for that.) I know people say they show their love in different ways, such as by being a good provider, but it means that maybe they can't, or won't, show it in the ways that their loved ones might need or appreciate more. Once you're past the point where you NEED to work to make sure everything is paid for, then you are into the realm where it seems you'd RATHER work than be with the family.
Well, as said above (whether the Obvious applies or not).
Quote:
Don't understand that mentality at all.. Especially nowadays when there are so many options....

Volunteer with various local groups, do consulting, open a side hustle business, get involved with church/house of worship, travel.. There are so many ways one can spend days in retirement nowadays other than just sitting at home.
There are limitations and probably the biggest one is how do you know that the person in question views the world the same way you do?

For example, at work, I love being the old Goddess, being "Well, I am the nice One.", getting my little sparks of my cheerleader charge that I get off on.

It is a world that I know, how to be in, that I am respected for what I am, a world of work and a world of home that I thrive in........

..........and then someone comes along, says retire and you can do volunteer work. Go from a world where I am someone to a world where I am unknown and, say, my defences have to be up, early warning at max power, not knowing who I can trust and who I can't.

TRY SEEING THE WORLD FROM THAT STANDPOINT FOR A MOMENT! Maybe you don't have to but for others, it could be like that.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 11-11-2023 at 04:59 PM..

Old 11-11-2023, 06:19 PM

409 posts, read 293,826 times
I watched the movie when retirement was a distant dream and couldn't really relate to it. That hasn't changed.

As others are noting, how retirement feels depend on multiple factors. Those who had high-powered jobs, or held any job where they felt appreciated, filled a unique role, derived a great feeling of accomplishment, greatly enjoyed the camaraderie with their co-workers, or other positives--I can understand why they'd be reluctant to retire. The same for those who had no outside hobbies or interests for whatever reason.

The job that I retired from after 13 years was fine, but I don't miss it. I have numerous hobbies and interests for which I never had enough time when I worked, and I'm thrilled that I can spend more time on them now.

Old 11-11-2023, 11:08 PM

17,411 posts, read 16,574,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
When I was young & just beginning my career, former co-workers who had just retired would drop by. We would say hello but otherwise have to go about our work day. They looked kind of lost & disappointed. I told myself way back then that I wouldn’t be like that, co-workers forget you once you’re gone.

I looked at the synopsis of About Schmidt & that seems to be the storyline, so won’t be watching it.
I remember a really nice recent retiree coming by the office on occasion. He was invited back for holiday parties and just any time he was free to drop by.

He once invited me out to lunch at a restaurant. I was in my late 20's and having lunch with a retired guy in his 60's - it was fun. He was hilarious and he had a way of making things relaxed and effortless. And, no, he wasn't coming on to me. He was happily married and I was in a solidly committed relationship.

He was one of the people who persuaded me to start investing in my 401k. Great guy.

Old 11-12-2023, 07:05 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,409,621 times
Quote:
Watched "About Schmidt" again recently and it sort of helped one understand what retirement could be ( and often was) for "company men" of Dad's generation. Suppose today's younger men (and women) want to make sure they don't end up like Warren Schmidt.
I have seen this British film "Living", along the lines of a similar subject, on a recent trans-Atlantic flight. It was enjoyable until it took a mawkish turn, underscoring to me the fact that old career people can make themselves even more pathetic by clutching at "career projects". Although the movie tries to depict a rather irrelevant late-age professional project as heroism, it left me with reinforcement of being glad that I gave up my far more relevant career at 60.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9051908/

The screenplay was an adaptation of normally more interesting writing of Kazuo Ishiguro, but either I misunderstood the main premise, or it really doesn't impress me. But the actors are good, so I suppose still worth seeing, particularly by older audience.

Last edited by elnrgby; 11-12-2023 at 07:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement