Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2023, 11:57 AM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I'm not outgoing but it bothers me if I'm home too long. I'm a big church goer and that provides my social life, two big churches with during the week activities. But this week after a senior group today I'm home till Sat. evening when I go to church.
I think Fri. I'll go to Costco and a restaurant with a all you can eat lunchtime buffet.
Join a "ROMEO" group. Easy to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2023, 02:51 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Well maybe she doesn't know that she could just enjoy it, since the "popular opinion" keeps telling her that she should be miserable about it? If she listens to her own real feelings rather than to popular opinion, maybe she'd be much happier?
...or not, since it sounds like prior to the pandemic, she was quite outgoing.

Old 11-23-2023, 05:49 PM

705 posts, read 507,223 times
Well, I don’t socialize hardly at all anymore. I have a hearing impairment that is getting worse by the day. Yes, I’ve got hearing aids, the best money and State workers comp can buy. But all they do these days is make what I can’t hear louder. My issue is I’m 100% deaf in certain frequencies, so I hear a person talking but can’t understand what is being said. So that stops me from getting out to “volunteer” or even get a job, go to the doctor or talk on the phone. I try and communicate with my neighbors, but I don’t understand maybe 90% of what is being said. And I live way out on the northern Great Plains, about ten miles out of a dinky small town on a dirt road. So I’m physically isolated, ain't going on a walk meeting people. I’m basically become a hermit. I find myself talking to myself, LOL. I’m going to be the person that makes the news that’s found mummified in their easy chair, dead for years before being discovered.

Old 11-23-2023, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Join a "ROMEO" group. Easy to find.
Can women join?

Old 11-23-2023, 11:58 PM

7,606 posts, read 3,265,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
When I read my post back to myself, I'm shocked at how much I've changed. Now the only places I visit are : the doctor, dentist, hairstylist, optician, and the pharmacy to pickup my meds.

I'm so glad for this thread topic...an real eye-opener for me and a motivator to start taking action.

On a side-note - I got another pair of eyeglasses...in pink!

Those are some of the worst places to go. I am immunocompromised and had been hiding out quite a lot last Fall leading into the Winter. I slipped on the stairs and broke my kneecap. So, then, I had to see doctors and get x-rays and recheck and recheck. I ended up getting Covid.

Covid was not just the sniffles for me. I do not remember all my symptoms. But, I had a tremendously hard time breathing there for a while. I should have gone to the ER, but, I could not leave my sick kitty. So, I took all my asthma medicine and Mucinex and everything I throw at my severe allergies and colds. Due to the fact that I had broke my kneecap medical personnel had told me I could have a pulmonary embolism. One of the weirdest things I had was humongous blood clots out of my nose (and that went on for months). I have not had a nose bleed even since I was a child (over 50 years ago).

That Covid episode had me redoing my Will and talking to people about taking my animals, etc. I really felt like it could be the end. Not breathing is not good.

However, now that it seems to have died down I am out and about. I just went to a very crowded farm to table restaurant that was jam packed for dinner. I have been in crowded stores (without a mask). I am immunocompromised and I do not feel the need to mask up right now (but, I have had all my shots a few weeks ago too).

Old 11-24-2023, 05:21 AM

1,112 posts, read 885,305 times
It is up to you to reach out to others. Have a hobby or two? There are groups for hobbies. Get busy.

Old 11-24-2023, 06:06 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Introverts, bookworms, cat fanciers.... this thread has drawn in some likable people!
And solitary walkers (though they get out and get around, probably more so than "sociable" people ). The subject matter tends to pop up on holidays, because we are all allegedly supposed to get suicidal on holidays . As though we miss all the social frenzy of the holiday season, something that so many of us avoid like plague even outside of the season .

Old 11-24-2023, 10:11 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
And solitary walkers (though they get out and get around, probably more so than "sociable" people ). The subject matter tends to pop up on holidays, because we are all allegedly supposed to get suicidal on holidays . As though we miss all the social frenzy of the holiday season, something that so many of us avoid like plague even outside of the season .
That might be true. And I am fairly sociable while at the same time love my solitude. This Internet notion that people go into buckets of one or the other is stupid.

I walk alone because that is an activity I enjoy doing alone. I might listen to a podcast or audiobook when I walk, and other times I feel like just listening to the sounds of the woods or the ocean. Most of the walkers I see are alone, although I do see some pairs, usually women, walking together. It can be a form of meditation.

Old 11-24-2023, 06:05 PM

1,205 posts, read 936,189 times
I do like to get out of the house into town every day. Sometimes, if I have no errands, plans with friends, or volunteer work, I’ll take a book and go out to lunch. This is a very small community, so I’ll know pretty much everyone who works there or comes in. Which makes it plenty sociable with all the greetings, but still a nice quiet interval, as once the flurry of hellos is over, it’s book time.

My mornings and evenings are spent by myself with rare exceptions. So it’s pleasant for me to get out among people in the middle part of the day.

Old 11-24-2023, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
It is up to you to reach out to others. Have a hobby or two? There are groups for hobbies. Get busy.
I have hobbies.

That still leaves a WHOLE lot of hours sitting at home, especially if you're single, live alone, and are retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement