Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 05:26 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,930,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Is the social security amount net of medicare premiums?
The amounts given are what we actually receive. Add $174.70 to each for our total benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2023, 07:06 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,411,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I don't have all that much in retirement savings which is about $150k.

Since we have been required to take RMD's we've never spent the money we simply keep in in savings for later.

As we don't have all that much in savings we will keep the life insurance I have on me to protect the wife.

I wish I did save more but to make up for it I worked longer.
With your streams of income and $150K in savings, plus your home equity (whatever that is) you should have no issues retiring given your monthly expenses. I would pay off the car---you probably don't owe more than $30,000, and before you retire, I would open up a home equity line of credit. They cost nothing to open, and you can use it as a source of liquidity should an emergency arise. Probably will be easier to be approved while you are employed.

Old 11-28-2023, 07:08 PM

7,504 posts, read 3,227,551 times
Yes, as long as your tax person has done a good estimate for your $0 tax obligation (else that could come out of fun money).

Old 11-28-2023, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
With your streams of income and $150K in savings, plus your home equity (whatever that is) you should have no issues retiring given your monthly expenses. I would pay off the car---you probably don't owe more than $30,000, and before you retire, I would open up a home equity line of credit. They cost nothing to open, and you can use it as a source of liquidity should an emergency arise. Probably will be easier to be approved while you are employed.
he's got enough income for a line of credit off the SS and pensions. the issue is, if something happens to him the SS amount drops because wife will just collect a survivor benefit. his VA disability ends. then, should he make it complicated for his wife? hopefully he's around a very long time. but, we plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Old 11-28-2023, 07:27 PM

3,142 posts, read 1,597,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
he's got enough income for a line of credit off the SS and pensions. the issue is, if something happens to him the SS amount drops because wife will just collect a survivor benefit. his VA disability ends. then, should he make it complicated for his wife? hopefully he's around a very long time. but, we plan for the worst and hope for the best.
He is carrying life insurance to financially protect his wife.

Old 11-28-2023, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
He is carrying life insurance to financially protect his wife.
You don't know how much life insurance that is and how many years it has to cover. Just because it looks expensive he is 75 and that might not be that big of policy.

Old 11-28-2023, 08:08 PM

3,142 posts, read 1,597,542 times
Quote:
Quote:
You don't know how much life insurance that is and how many years it has to cover. Just because it looks expensive he is 75 and that might not be that big of policy.
Reminding you that he has life insurance as you failed to mention it nor did you ask the OP any of those questions when you posted.

Last edited by Maddie104; 11-28-2023 at 08:25 PM..

Old 11-28-2023, 08:12 PM

2,019 posts, read 1,312,131 times
Quote:
this is what I would worry about. What happens to the income when one or the other dies, which could happen tomorrow or plan each year from now.
Is there money in that budget for roof replacement or similar high dollar repairs?

that being said, for me it's not about the money, it's about time.
If I had been given a choice 10 years ago that was "you can keep working for 5 more years and have plenty of money, or retire now and do OK in a trailer", I would take the now and trailer.
I really enjoyed my job, but I never had a day at work that was as good as a day at home with my wife. That will come to an end. You don't know how many days you have left.
Now that I said that, I did manage our money so she will be fine money wise if I go now.

Old 11-28-2023, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
this is what I would worry about. What happens to the income when one or the other dies, which could happen tomorrow or plan each year from now.
Is there money in that budget for roof replacement or similar high dollar repairs?

that being said, for me it's not about the money, it's about time.
If I had been given a choice 10 years ago that was "you can keep working for 5 more years and have plenty of money, or retire now and do OK in a trailer", I would take the now and trailer.
I really enjoyed my job, but I never had a day at work that was as good as a day at home with my wife. That will come to an end. You don't know how many days you have left.
Now that I said that, I did manage our money so she will be fine money wise if I go now.

He has life insurance, but, we don't know how much. He is 75 and I do not think he should continue to work. I think he needs to have a solid plan that his wife also thoroughly understands. He also needs to understand which parts of the income go away when one of them is no longer around for the morning cup of coffee.

Old 11-28-2023, 08:40 PM

OP, I think even if you do not show us you need to do a separate work up if it's just you or just your wife and how all those same categories look. How much is the life insurance policy and is it just for your life and you have no policy for your wife?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement