Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 12:55 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times

Advertisements

I wouldn’t regret anything. I would be dead. My life was my life. I could have done whatever I wanted but chose to do what I did. I’d be fine with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2024, 12:55 PM

94 posts, read 41,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
No Reincarnation is real IMO so if you have unfinished business, you continue on with that business for your soul's contract until its completed. It could take infinite lifetimes. Life is continuous and energy never ceases. We all come down here with lessons to learn. Its just a school. So if you don't learn everything this time around, you will later on
Can I ask how you know this to be true?

Old 01-20-2024, 12:59 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence753 View Post
Can I ask how you know this to be true?
Its just a belief. Various stories of past lives and people who have spoken with their spirit guides all have these consistent themes in them dating all the way back even before Christianity. If you hear enough of the same stories of people who have experienced these NDEs, Spirit guides, Past life regressions etc. there has to be some truth to them. It happens far too often for it to not be real. Pretty much all the stories and themes are consistent:

1. life reviews after death
2. Meeting passed on relatives at death
3. Life Charts being planned before birth of everything we want to experience and learn
4. People experiencing past life events which affect current lives.
5. People being returned to their soul families after death to prepare for a new life chart via reincarnation

etc.

Old 01-20-2024, 01:20 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
I would regret not being around to see my youngest graduate from college or either one of our kids get married/have children.

My nightstand has a jumble of stuff in it that I need to go through so I would regret not having taken the time to do so and leaving that for my husband/kids to do.

I would have some big regrets that we didn't retire earlier and done the travelling and had the experiences that we always dreamed of having together.

Old 01-20-2024, 02:35 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
My niece, who is 35, recently said that whenever she gets on a plane, she asks herself if she is satisfied with the way she has lived her life up until now.

Old 01-20-2024, 03:57 PM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
If you dropped dead right now, what would you regret missing, or leaving not done/unfinished

Nothing. I'd be dead.

Old 01-20-2024, 04:19 PM

7,478 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Not having changed our will that was made ten years ago. If I die before my husband, no problem, but right now the person who is our main beneficiary we no longer want to be our main beneficiary. (We have put off changing our will until we are more settled as to what our assets actually will be when we die, barring some kind of major financial catastrophe. We plan on revising the will in just two more years, though, and because we are now 70 and 67, so it probably won't be a problem -- and if we die together, we won't be around to regret our procrastination, lol.)

But as far as other regrets, NO, I won't have any that I now have the power to change (or even DID have the power to change). I have done everything on my bucket list, and so from now on, every year will be the same as the year before except for our health getting worse -- I just hope that it won't get a lot worse before we die. (We are basically fine now, btw, but getting old and frail is not appealing to me at all.)
I had that problem. Then, I broke my kneecap and got Covid within a month's time. After I recovered I redid my will (even though I may have to redo it again). Luckily my attorney agreed to a much reduced fee because we just needed to do a bit of a refresh. Most of the people in his office he said are sitting there with a terminal diagnosis.

It's best to do it now rather than have it gnaw at you. It has to be refreshed as things change.

Old 01-20-2024, 04:38 PM

7,478 posts, read 3,219,325 times
I have had my life pass before my eyes on three occasions. With the big accident I so frequently reference the movie I saw was all the people that I loved and were a big part of my life. What I decided to do was to stay resolved in all my relationships every day and to leave nothing unsaid that needs to be said or undone that needs to be done.

I do need to outlive my two fur aliens (which means I need to live another 10ish years). I redid my will and got verbal agreements for what is to happen to them in the next 2-7ish years. However, I still need to do a calculation for money that goes to the cat caretaker(s) along with letters/memos on both cats. I have been delaying a bit because my 17 year old girl kitty is circling the drain (but, keeps rallying). I do need to get that done (this year).

I need to prepare for having to evacuate for a wildfire (which is similar to preparing to die). I have a ton of paperwork that needs to be scanned.

I am very fortunate to have someone 17 years younger that can step into my shoes and can deal with the legal and paperwork issues (whenever it comes to that); but, the longer I have before my death then the longer I have to become more organized, downsized and generally better prepared. Fortunately, this is a person that I trust more than any other living human (that is most appropriate to the task). There will be a reward for efforts on that one. If I died today she would get the house and my brother would get the majority of the cash. However, I noticed my secondary beneficiaries fell out of my 401k account and so that needs to be addressed.

So, I share Elnrgby's struggle with paperwork. I do it for a living and it's the last thing I want to spend my free time doing (you'll find me in the garden).

I do not regret the things I have not done. I quit wearing socks so I know where they all are -- LOL! My family is all So Old and we are a very stoic brood. We're Catholic and know we are not done dealing with each other even when we get to the other side. I won't get into all the spiritual stuff, but, I am unafraid to die (I just don't want to primarily due to the obligation to my fur aliens (they need me). MEOW!!!

My understanding is retirement is a process. First, you rest and do some of the things you have been holding off from doing until you retired. After some time passes you reengage with some 'occupation' (meaning investment of time) with something that brings meaning to your life (which can be Anything that brings meaning to your life).

I used to reference this book called "Transitions" all the time because in my younger years it seemed like some major transition was happening with great frequency. One of the things that really stood out to me was they address what they called "The Neutral Zone" which is a time when it seems nothing is happening. It is a soul-searching phase where you are internally realigning. They used the example that old Tribes would send people out into the wilderness for a period of time when they were going through one of the transitions that is common to everyone.

Last edited by Wile E. Coyote; 01-20-2024 at 04:47 PM..

Old 01-20-2024, 05:29 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I have had my life pass before my eyes on three occasions. With the big accident I so frequently reference the movie I saw was all the people that I loved and were a big part of my life. What I decided to do was to stay resolved in all my relationships every day and to leave nothing unsaid that needs to be said or undone that needs to be done.

I do need to outlive my two fur aliens (which means I need to live another 10ish years). I redid my will and got verbal agreements for what is to happen to them in the next 2-7ish years. However, I still need to do a calculation for money that goes to the cat caretaker(s) along with letters/memos on both cats. I have been delaying a bit because my 17 year old girl kitty is circling the drain (but, keeps rallying). I do need to get that done (this year).

I need to prepare for having to evacuate for a wildfire (which is similar to preparing to die). I have a ton of paperwork that needs to be scanned.

I am very fortunate to have someone 17 years younger that can step into my shoes and can deal with the legal and paperwork issues (whenever it comes to that); but, the longer I have before my death then the longer I have to become more organized, downsized and generally better prepared. Fortunately, this is a person that I trust more than any other living human (that is most appropriate to the task). There will be a reward for efforts on that one. If I died today she would get the house and my brother would get the majority of the cash. However, I noticed my secondary beneficiaries fell out of my 401k account and so that needs to be addressed.

So, I share Elnrgby's struggle with paperwork. I do it for a living and it's the last thing I want to spend my free time doing (you'll find me in the garden).

I do not regret the things I have not done. I quit wearing socks so I know where they all are -- LOL! My family is all So Old and we are a very stoic brood. We're Catholic and know we are not done dealing with each other even when we get to the other side. I won't get into all the spiritual stuff, but, I am unafraid to die (I just don't want to primarily due to the obligation to my fur aliens (they need me). MEOW!!!

My understanding is retirement is a process. First, you rest and do some of the things you have been holding off from doing until you retired. After some time passes you reengage with some 'occupation' (meaning investment of time) with something that brings meaning to your life (which can be Anything that brings meaning to your life).

I used to reference this book called "Transitions" all the time because in my younger years it seemed like some major transition was happening with great frequency. One of the things that really stood out to me was they address what they called "The Neutral Zone" which is a time when it seems nothing is happening. It is a soul-searching phase where you are internally realigning. They used the example that old Tribes would send people out into the wilderness for a period of time when they were going through one of the transitions that is common to everyone.
I have been through those phases. It is represented in the Runes by Isa, a rune that represents ice or a standstill. There is nothing you can do but turn inward.

Old 01-20-2024, 06:10 PM

1,409 posts, read 748,130 times
For a couple years I've been writing about the times my wife and I have had together. It'll probably never be finished, but I have a lot more I want to add. I couldn't care less who else reads it, it's for my wife and me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement