Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 07:02 PM

256 posts, read 114,089 times

Advertisements

......like when I blow my nose - I get dizzy, when I sneeze - I feel faint, when I cough - I leak!

I'm sensitive and allergic to things that were never problematic before.

This has all happened since turning 65, 3 years ago.....I can't see a thing without my progressive glasses, I wear 2 hearing aids, loosing teeth and need a partial, walk with a cane.

Old age used to be all in my mind...now it's in my joints too.

How does one age gracefully?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 08:23 PM

8,335 posts, read 6,421,491 times
Wait till you get 80, my ballance is terrable. I have to hang on to something if possible, everything goes slow.

Old 02-29-2024, 08:23 PM

17,706 posts, read 29,800,391 times
If your bones are structurally sound and you have the money, get teeth implants. The traditional ones that require months of effort.

Joint a gym. Pay for training/coach. Exercise 3 days a week. There is an older male at my gym that uses crutches.

If you have money, travel.

Cook more exotic meals. Stretch your culinary skills.

Written from the perspective of a 75 year old.

Old 02-29-2024, 09:38 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,263,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post
......like when I blow my nose - I get dizzy, when I sneeze - I feel faint, when I cough - I leak!

This has all happened since turning 65, 3 years ago.....I can't see a thing without my progressive glasses, I wear 2 hearing aids, loosing teeth and need a partial, walk with a cane.

I'm doing it by going to the gym 3X a week and working out. Full workout each time.
Been going for 3 years and see where it would have been even better if I had started long ago. I'll be 79 this year.

Diet and exercise.
But my idea of diet is a little different from most people. I eat the same thing every morning - every time. I eat about the same thing every day for lunch - again, every day. Come supper, there is some variation, but not all that much. DW pointed out that 80% of my meals are the same thing. Of the 21 meals I eat in a week, about 16 are always the same. Makes grocery shopping easy because I don't care about 98% of what they carry.

Works for me.
Everyone says, "How can you be like that?.. Don't you need some variation?"
No. I don't. I sleep with the same woman all the time, been driving the same pickup 35 years, lived in the same place for 20 years and no - I do not get tired of the diet that is good for me.

Last edited by Listener2307; 02-29-2024 at 09:47 PM..

Old 03-01-2024, 03:56 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,046,144 times
I'm 80 and until last year I was doing well. Now having joint, muscle pains and stiffness. A drastic difference from how I was previously feeling.

However, believing that I have to do the best I can with what I've got, I take a long walk most mornings and a total of 6 exercise classes and 3 yoga classes per week. I have 6 month eye, dental and dermatology checkups, watch what I eat and try to get 7 hours sleep each night.

I do get depressed at times, knowing that I'm fighting a losing battle but at least I'm giving it my best.

I go to the Y during the day so a good number of older people there. Few of these oldsters are in prime condition...many overweight, a few with canes, a regular in a wheelchair, a few amputees. They haven't given up and are doing their best with what they've got to work with.

We're all aging at different rates and the changes can be depressing but there is a choice to make as to handle it all and, as for me, I want to function as maximumly as possible given my physical limitations.

Old 03-01-2024, 04:37 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,376,011 times
Been going down hill since turning 57 (now 64), too many surgeries to list, all joint related, worst is the Back issue (non surgical), which lead to poor rehab, which then leads to loss of muscle. Thought about joining a gym, work hours and poor sleep habits making it almost impossible.

Old 03-01-2024, 04:38 AM

879 posts, read 764,193 times
How to age gracefully? Diet and exercise - functional strength training specifically that focuses on balance and mobility. Eat a clean diet 80% of the time.

Old 03-01-2024, 07:02 AM

445 posts, read 281,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Diet and exercise.
But my idea of diet is a little different from most people. I eat the same thing every morning - every time. I eat about the same thing every day for lunch - again, every day. Come supper, there is some variation, but not all that much. DW pointed out that 80% of my meals are the same thing. Of the 21 meals I eat in a week, about 16 are always the same. Makes grocery shopping easy because I don't care about 98% of what they carry.

Works for me.
Everyone says, "How can you be like that?.. Don't you need some variation?"
No. I don't. I sleep with the same woman all the time, been driving the same pickup 35 years, lived in the same place for 20 years and no - I do not get tired of the diet that is good for me.
I'd love to hear what you eat. Feel free to PM me (if you feel like sharing) rather than post it to this thread. Up to you.

Old 03-01-2024, 07:10 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
I started Pilates and as much as I dread it, go twice a week and plan to start doing mat work at home. It helps. I'm almost 71 and very tired much of the time. Eat close to perfect for my needs ( a recent innovation). I don't care about longevity but falling apart is bad.

Old 03-01-2024, 08:05 AM

14,929 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post

LOL, the best is yet to come.

How to live with it gracefully? Best as you can, I'd say. I think healthy living, ie, good diet, exercise (needs modification sometimes to accomodate those aches and pains, but it's vitally important to keep moving). A healthy, positive attitude, being mindful of the little things around you, appreciating what you see, being grateful for what you do have, those positives in your life go a long way in aging gracefully. And a healthy sense of humor- that puts everything in its proper perspective and lifts your spirits as well. And keep your mind active, reading, crossword puzzles, hobbies, whatever you like.

And if the ravages of old age take their toll enough to make what you used to do physically impossible, use whatever aids ( cane, walker, stronger glasses, wheelchair at times, etc) you need to be able to continue the activities you love. As I see it, you do what you need to do so you can keep doing what you want to do.

From what I think I see in the tone of your post ( somewhat lighthearted?), I would bet you will be just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement