Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 08:34 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times

Advertisements

Of course this depends on your job making almost everything else here irrelevant. I always get the feeling reading things like this that people assume everyone has a low stress and non physical job making retirement undesirable. That's not the reality for millions of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 08:39 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I work in the kind of job that can be stressful with long hours sometimes. Fortunately, not most of the time. At this point, it feels like I've gotten so used to it that I wouldn't know what to do if I retired.

I also hear about people who lose their mental acuity and motivation after they retire. That scares me. I don't want that.

I have a colleague who is 95 and he still works full time. I find that inspiring in a way, even though it's unusual.
People who stay busy in retirement don't lose their mental acuity. They do relax and aren't on edge like they were when they were working. Being on edge and ready to hop as needed is more of a nervous system reaction than a sign of mental functioning.

Personally, I'd rather be in a pool listening to Jimmy Buffet then tensely waiting for the next shoe to drop at work.

So much depends on your job and whether or not you really enjoy it or if you are hanging onto it because that is the life that you are used to.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:49 AM

5,954 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
I am several years away from potentially considering retirement.

However, I've started wondering what exactly retirement is about.

I am quite happy with my current home and have no intention of moving anytime soon. I travel a few times a year and have seen most of the bucket list places I wanted to see. I already engage in a number of hobbies including playing and performing music.

I am also very used to the salary and overtime pay I earn from my job.

So, I've been wondering - What am I going to do after I retire? What if I don't want anything to change significantly?
You need to ask yourself which part of the above that you really enjoy or enjoy the MOST. Is it the work, the travel, the music playing, or your other hobbies?

Would you be happier if you could enjoy the more enjoyable parts more often? If so, AND if you are financially secure for the next 30 years or so without working, then I suggest that you devote more time to doing what you enjoy most.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:50 AM

30,487 posts, read 16,198,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
People who stay busy in retirement don't lose their mental acuity. They do relax and aren't on edge like they were when they were working. Being on edge and ready to hop as needed is more of a nervous system reaction than a sign of mental functioning.

Personally, I'd rather be in a pool listening to Jimmy Buffet then tensely waiting for the next shoe to drop at work.

So much depends on your job and whether or not you really enjoy it or if you are hanging onto it because that is the life that you are used to.

Good points: do you want to keep working because you enjoy the life or because you're afraid of what's on the other side?

your call.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I work in the kind of job that can be stressful with long hours sometimes. Fortunately, not most of the time. At this point, it feels like I've gotten so used to it that I wouldn't know what to do if I retired.

I also hear about people who lose their mental acuity and motivation after they retire. That scares me. I don't want that.

I have a colleague who is 95 and he still works full time. I find that inspiring in a way, even though it's unusual.
Ahh, now I understand. You actually WANT to retire, but you're afraid of the unknown. In that case, I suggest that you try to ease into retirement by working only 20 to 25 hours per week... with the approval of your employer, of course. If you find this reduced work schedule more enjoyable, then that will help you to ease into retirement with more confidence.

Old 04-15-2024, 09:05 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
You need to ask yourself which part of the above that you really enjoy or enjoy the MOST. Is it the work, the travel, the music playing, or your other hobbies?

Would you be happier if you could enjoy the more enjoyable parts more often? If so, AND if you are financially secure for the next 30 years or so without working, then I suggest that you devote more time to doing what you enjoy most.
Let's say if I had the resources to quit my current job, then I would focus more or playing music and doing other hobbies.

If I did that, then wouldn't those activities become like jobs in themselves?

When you quit your job, do you actually retire from working and staying busy?

Old 04-15-2024, 09:20 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Let's say if I had the resources to quit my current job, then I would focus more or playing music and doing other hobbies.

No hobbies aren't like a job unless you turn them into one and over commit yourself in some way.

If a past time isn't working for you, just do less of it. It's not like you have that option at work...well, at least ethically speaking. You can't just say "Eh, I'm sick of this job so I'm just going to stop doing it and see how long my employer keeps paying me for it." But you can absolutely do that with a hobby - just be considerate of the other members of the group, it isn't cool to leave people hanging.

Old 04-15-2024, 10:17 AM

30,487 posts, read 16,198,344 times
Quote:

working yes staying busy no.

but you're staying busy doing what you want when you want. Not when a boss tells you.

and any deadlines are of your own making.

Old 04-15-2024, 10:32 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
If it aint broke don't fix it.

If you enjoy what you're doing and are physically able to keep doing it there's no reason to retire.
True but when it breaks it sometimes is catastrophic or at least intolerable. A new boss or a buy-out/merger or major change in work culture or duties makes retirement look pretty good. If you are going home angry or stressed out every night, it wears on your health and family.

Old 04-15-2024, 11:42 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't consider them as "jobs" if it were something I enjoyed and could do them or ignore them as I pleased?

Yes, when I retired from working, I stayed busy doing things I enjoyed.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement