Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM

3,093 posts, read 2,218,264 times

Advertisements

As I said in my post at the beginning - these threads go sideways rather quickly. Now, this thread is about 55+ and "independent living" retirement communities rather than elderly orphans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM

7,506 posts, read 3,231,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
As I said in my post at the beginning - these threads go sideways rather quickly. Now, this thread is about 55+ and "independent living" retirement communities rather than elderly orphans.

Yeah, maybe a moderator should close the thread.

Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM

22,461 posts, read 11,986,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
And earlier in this thread you say all you have is you and your husband and very little other contact. ???
What?

I said that since COVID, the seniors in our building seem to not want to hang out with others. The few, who like us, who want contact attend events for residents and we connect with each other there. I also mentioned how last week, we went out to dinner with another couple and we're planning to go out yet again with them.

It's not like we never talk to other people---we certainly do. There are some younger people whom we run into and have conversations. However, the younger population here is more transient and tend to not rent here for long. Us seniors tend to rent a place and stay here as long as we can.

That said, we are elder orphans as we don't have any close family nearby.

Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I have been trying to get it back on track. However, one poster seems to keep bringing that subject up again and again.

So...any other elder orphans want to share their stories and how you are dealing with this issue?

Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I qualify as an "elder orphan" -- outlived my parents, siblings, partner, and have no kids. "I ain't go nobody" except friends who probably wouldn't be much help if I needed it. I'm still healthy, active, independent, and don't need any help. But I know that the Department of Senior Affairs where I live in Albuquerque offers an array of services in case I need them. People who need help should contact the equivalent where they live, and they can help hook you up to services that you need.

Here, if you're over 60 you can get low-cost breakfasts and lunches at senior centers, which offer lots of activities and exercise programs. If you're a homebound senior, they offer meal delivery services. They offer some transportation. They have case managers that can visit your home and do an assessment, and connect you to services you need.

I have no intention of moving to a retirement community.
Thank you for sharing your elder orphan experience. It sounds like there is lots of help available should you need it. Your post has me thinking that I should research all that's available for us around here and take notes.

Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,376,773 times
I count as an elder orphan. No family of origin, no partner, no kids. I live in a town that is 26 miles from the nearest medical care/transport/etc. My house is 3 rooms, no steps,, right in town, with a fenced yard for senior dogs. I hire people to mow the native grasses and noxious weeds. Have meal delivered to the house weekly. I am car dependent and that concerns me. I no longer drive at night but that doesn't really present a problem. I can drive at night in my little town but no further out.

I seem content to not go lots of places or drive around or such. No interest in travel. I moved where I want to be and had my adventures when younger (horseback vacations on ranches).

I'm 71.

Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM

17,363 posts, read 16,505,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Springfield, 55+ apartments locally are very expensive when they are part of a facility that has both independent living and assisted living. For people in IL they could pay for everything they get for much less on their own. Now for people that need AL and can afford it they are wonderful. I helped a friend with Parkinson’s get into one and it was great for him.
There are stand alone Independent Living apartments that do not directly provide assisted living but they often have a healthcare agency onsite that a resident can contract with if they need some additional help during the day but not round the clock care.

Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,376,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
There are stand alone Independent Living apartments that do not directly provide assisted living but they often have a healthcare agency onsite that a resident can contract with if they need some additional help during the day but not round the clock care.
That's good to know.

Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM

563 posts, read 677,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSLPPTSO13 View Post
Since I will never be able to afford one of those communities...I will end up in a Medicaid nursing home...
broke,terminally sick and alone. Ain't life grand?!
There are Section 8 Housing Vouchers that can subsidize an adult orphan's independent living expenses, if you are low-income and on Medicaid. Call your local Housing Authority.

Last edited by glenninindy; Yesterday at 03:24 PM..

Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM

3,093 posts, read 2,218,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I have been trying to get it back on track. However, one poster seems to keep bringing that subject up again and again.

So...any other elder orphans want to share their stories and how you are dealing with this issue?
We are potential elder orphans as we do not have children or family in the country. So far, we are younger (63), still working and, knock on wood, in a good physical shape. The elder orphan stage awaits one of us but it seems some distance away.

The whole 55+/independent living stuff is a distraction in that it is attractive / unattractive based upon individual preferences. Anyone's attitude to it is not dependent on the elder orphan status. The challenges arise as one advances in age, experiences diminishing physical and/or mental capacities and lacks reliable/close parties (children/other family) who can help and/or take over the financial and other needed decisions (e.g., placement in an appropriate facility or assembling or (re-)organizing a home care plan and support).

For us, the financial assets are not a concern. We have ample assets as well as LTCi, so finances are not a concern; but engagement of an honest and responsible party if suddenly it is just one of us and needs help is. In time, we will engage professionals to help us (something anyone, not just elder orphan, can engage). The specific challenge elder orphans face (leaving aside finances, which vary) is that there is no party to oversee and take corrective decisions if the professionals hired for the task are not performing or worse - acting in a bad faith. I have not seen anything thus far that addresses that vulnerability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement