Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 08:41 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
It's my understanding, if one of a married couple were to die, the surviving party will receive which ever SS payment is the highest. In other word, if your SS check is for more than his, your's will continue. If his is more, that is the one you will get. Since you didn't work at all, his is obviously higher, so you will receive it.
yikeys. the WHOLE amount of the deceased's check?! no wonder social security is going broke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 09:51 AM

94 posts, read 274,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Keeper, I'm very sorry. I knew you were single, but didn't realize that you are a widow. He was so young.

I believe that in the case of divorce~all you have to do is be married for 10 years and you qualify to get the benefits.... (JOKING)

Hmm - What if your husband's former wife was married for 16 years and he remarries? (to me) I hope I go before my husband but if I don't...Does she get SS too? She is not re-married (yet). I've been married to him for 5 years but I'm talking down the road - say 15-20 years from now. Anyone?

Old 09-23-2008, 06:18 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,484,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarymovingtoRioRico View Post
Hmm - What if your husband's former wife was married for 16 years and he remarries? (to me) I hope I go before my husband but if I don't...Does she get SS too? She is not re-married (yet). I've been married to him for 5 years but I'm talking down the road - say 15-20 years from now. Anyone?
Depends on what was written or not written in your husbands divorce decree. Thats what my lawyer said anyways. Did he have to give her part of his retirement/S.S. etc or not. Sometimes ex's sign off on that or sometimes they don't

Old 01-18-2009, 11:08 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Depends on what was written or not written in your husbands divorce decree. Thats what my lawyer said anyways. Did he have to give her part of his retirement/S.S. etc or not. Sometimes ex's sign off on that or sometimes they don't
Social security benefits are not part of divorce decrees. It's a federal program, and if you are divorced and not remarried (and were married for 10 years), then you are entitled to half of the benefits of your ex-spouse when you reach 62 or above (reduced by a certain percentage until you reach full retirement age). If you start collecting those benefits at age 62, for example, that is the amount you will have for life. I think there is a way to return all the $$ collected between age 62 and full retirement age and then start collecting the full amount, but I'd have to look at the SS website for details.

Collecting on an ex-spouse's SSI does not affect any other ex-spouse's ability to collect as well, if he or she was married for 10 years and is not married at the time of starting SSI payments. From what I've read, the gov't does not want to sort out the issues of multiple marriages and divorces and SSI benefits. It doesn't affect that many people to begin with. The SSI website is quite good.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:08 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Social security benefits are not part of divorce decrees. It's a federal program, and if you are divorced and not remarried (and were married for 10 years), then you are entitled to half of the benefits of your ex-spouse when you reach 62 or above (reduced by a certain percentage until you reach full retirement age). If you start collecting those benefits at age 62, for example, that is the amount you will have for life. I think there is a way to return all the $$ collected between age 62 and full retirement age and then start collecting the full amount, but I'd have to look at the SS website for details.

Collecting on an ex-spouse's SSI does not affect any other ex-spouse's ability to collect as well, if he or she was married for 10 years and is not married at the time of starting SSI payments. From what I've read, the gov't does not want to sort out the issues of multiple marriages and divorces and SSI benefits. It doesn't affect that many people to begin with. The SSI website is quite good.
I think this right. My mother was my father's 1st wife for 22 years and never remarried. When he died, he had been married to #3 for 29 years but she remarried within a very few months. The SSA called my mother a few months after his demise and told her that she was entitled to much more benefit based on being my father's divorced widow. It doubled her benefit and she went from barely scraping by to comfortable (she is very frugal). She was well over the 66-67 full benefit age.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:29 PM

518 posts, read 626,853 times
Default Survivor's benefits

I am somewhat confused by these postings. My husband is 77 and I just turned 65. I started collecting reduced SS benefits at 62 but was led to understand that if my husband should predecease me, I would get his full benefits when I turn 66. Is this true or will I only get half of his full SS monthly payment.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:12 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
It is unfortunate that their website does not give clear answers. I was looking up some facts for my sister. The answers are not there.
When you talk with them by phone..........they don't have the answers. They leave and come back on over and over with some tidbit, that does not make sense. Back and forth.......
So finding real, genuine answers are hard to come by.
Most likely the best thing to do is to go in the office and sit with someone who just might or might now have the answers one needs.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:22 PM

185 posts, read 701,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolgre View Post
I am somewhat confused by these postings. My husband is 77 and I just turned 65. I started collecting reduced SS benefits at 62 but was led to understand that if my husband should predecease me, I would get his full benefits when I turn 66. Is this true or will I only get half of his full SS monthly payment.
Yes, yours will be stopped and you will start drawing his. You cannot get both. Whichever is the highest is the one you will receive.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:05 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
Thanks, but I tried that and got no info. I know I can make an appt. and talk to a real person at the ss place, but its far and gas is high. I just wanted to know if widows get the husbands whole amount or some portion. Maybe there is a widow out there who knows.
You can also have a phone appointment. Might pay to talk to several people at ss to see that the tell you the same thing.
Need more info. Husbands age and your age.
My guess is you get his benefit at his death assuming he is not on disability. While he is a live you get 50% of his benefit. Thus at his death you household income does go down. I am assuming you are both FRA which is probably wrong with an 18 year old.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:08 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
Thanks, but I tried that and got no info. I know I can make an appt. and talk to a real person at the ss place, but its far and gas is high. I just wanted to know if widows get the husbands whole amount or some portion. Maybe there is a widow out there who knows.
You went to a web site for this person specific information?

Yes there are many with great knowledge here. But your case is specific.

Get to a Social Security office and get a direct answer.

If you can't drive or you can't afford the gas then go to one of the many civic organizations. Lions Club, Kiwanis or local church. There is always someone who will volunteer to drive you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement