Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 07:11 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
But do you have to "work" at keeping busy as I do? And I am a homebody, I enjoy my home including cooking as I mentioned, gardening, home improvements etc. I guess I just have to get use to it. Yesterday for instance, I ran some errands in the morning, made a pot of soup in the afternoon, and had company for dinner at night. This is a good day. Other days I have to think what I can do, and I do miss being around people as at work.
I agree with you. I think when you work, you have deadlines and you get more done. On the weekends, sometimes, I find I am not as productive (even though I work on the weekends), my time is more flexible. Then I get depressed because I am not productive and then I eat. Then I hate myself because I eat and it is a vicious circle. When I am at work, I do not eat or even think about it.

I will have to work for a lot longer but I get depressed sometimes when I am isolated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 07:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
the trick is to develop good hobbies b4 you go out and then keep them up after.
this is especially true if you were in a high stress job.
its takes bout 18 months to calm down, no kidding.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:13 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile I want to be like her - great ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babigyrl5 View Post
my grandma volunteers at animal shelters, voting registration, museum tour guide- you name it! she also works for free every other thursday at her retirement communitys conveince store, ringing up items.
Volunteer! Sometimes, I forget about that. I do volunteer and it does help when I am needed.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:24 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,952,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I agree with you. I think when you work, you have deadlines and you get more done. On the weekends, sometimes, I find I am not as productive (even though I work on the weekends), my time is more flexible. Then I get depressed because I am not productive and then I eat. Then I hate myself because I eat and it is a vicious circle. When I am at work, I do not eat or even think about it.

I will have to work for a lot longer but I get depressed sometimes when I am isolated.
When I worked, I had a routine. I'm trying to establish a little routine, but it's hard. My wife works part time so I am alone 4 nites a week. I have 2 Sons but they don't bother, only when they need something. When the wife is home, sometimes we get in each others way. I think my wife also has to adjust with me being home.

So you do work part time? You have to work at keeping busy, even if it means organizing things around the house. Depression is not good, get yourself out of it, the best thing get in the car and get out a little.
Tomorrow I am calling meals on wheels as they need volunteers. I see my Dad who is 93, i cook some for him and he gets meals on wheels. I think it would be rewarding for me to help the Seniors and it would get me out some.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:02 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
Tomorrow I am calling meals on wheels as they need volunteers. I see my Dad who is 93, i cook some for him and he gets meals on wheels. I think it would be rewarding for me to help the Seniors and it would get me out some.
We retired to upstate NY from NJ. There is a lot up here to keep us busy and have made great friends. Volunteering is an excellent way to stay active and socialize. I think it's great that you are making that effort. You might consider volunteering a few hours at a nursing home, reading, playing cards or just visiting with some of the seniors. They are very lonely and sometimes forgotten.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:40 PM

512 posts, read 1,564,979 times
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z35/Georgpl/013-1.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-04-2008, 09:43 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,520 times
Hi! I bought myself a fixer upper farmhouse and it sure kept me busy! I enjoy decorating, painting, horses, piano, and reading....wheeeeee...I LOVE being retired (I'm 54)

Old 11-07-2008, 04:52 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,412,216 times
My husband and I worked towards retirement for the past 35 years and we finally made it, both of us had stressful jobs well his was much more stressful than mine and he is the one who has a retirement pension. I continue to work 2 weeks a month and my company flies me back and forth and I'm not sure I like that but we have projects todo and as long as I work we can get those projects completed without it being a hardship on our fixed income.

We like the idea of waking up when we feel like although I've been waking up around 7am when I'm not working he gets up when the sunshines. Our lives are so peaceful now amazing how quickly you can reduce the stress once your retired. We finished our new home still doing some decorating, we will be planting the lawn hopfully this trip back home they say to plant in the fall for best results. My husband still need electricty in his shop that project will begin by December, we fly home from Alaska tomorrow I will take time to get my office in order once I get there the day before we left for Alaska I had just moved a new desk in the office haven't even had time to organize it yet.

My husband and I are busy every day doing one thing or another, but it's very positive stress and we absoluetly love it I would recommend retirement to anybody who can do it. As the song goes No worries be happy

Last edited by Tressa; 11-07-2008 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-08-2008, 10:24 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
I was fortunate and am learing that being relaxed is very different from being bored. That when you have the time to take your time doing things you suddenly don't have that much time. Learn to enjoy life and hopefully you live some place where just being alive is enjoyable and makes every moment time to be appreciative. If you are able to comfortably afford to retire in this envioronment then you can spent much time enjoying it.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
hobbies are important.
develop them b4 you retire and continue. it does not matter how good you are.
real big mistake is do nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement