Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 08:18 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

I saw this brief article this morning and thought I would share:

planadviser - Treasury Suggests Increasing Social Security Retirement Ages (http://www.planadviser.com/research/article.php/3475 - broken link)

At the bottom of the article is a link to the 28 page Social Security Reform: Work Incentives Issue Brief 6 from the Treasury Department.

I'm not under Social Security so I have no opinion...but I would if I was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 09:46 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Really nothing new just as the Breaks committee did a long number of hearings on this a few years ago. In the end Congress really did nothing and is not likely to until several decades past and it gets to where SS gets closer to were pay go doesn't cover cost. That was the position of the Democrats and now they are in charge.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:45 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Really nothing new just as the Breaks committee did a long number of hearings on this a few years ago. In the end Congress really did nothing and is not likely to until several decades past and it gets to where SS gets closer to were pay go doesn't cover cost. That was the position of the Democrats and now they are in charge.
I think they will raise the SS age this non-election year.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:50 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Treasury at this date is not what it will be in few short weeks. The changing of the guard will change such political pronouncements so what Paulson says is meaningless at this late date.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:45 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
It is good that they continue to do serious work to understand the impact of these programs in this economy. Ignoring the problems or the continued political sniping helps no one.

My retirement plan was developed around a SS plan that would pay me full benefits at 66 but I can probably find a way to make a one year delay work. What I probably would have trouble with is proposals to 'means test' the benefits as that not only changes the program nature but would then be tinkered with by Congress on a regular basis.

For many of us it is the economy that is the major factor in employment decisions, not SS benefits.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:32 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
OMG, I have five days before my first check comes so please don't let them start on Monday.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 01-10-2009, 05:14 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I saw this brief article this morning and thought I would share:

planadviser - Treasury Suggests Increasing Social Security Retirement Ages (http://www.planadviser.com/research/article.php/3475 - broken link)

At the bottom of the article is a link to the 28 page Social Security Reform: Work Incentives Issue Brief 6 from the Treasury Department.

I'm not under Social Security so I have no opinion...but I would if I was.

they could start by eliminating ALL welfare, social security, medicare benefits for legal immigrants who come here to this country at advanced ages. what exactly did they ever contribute to the system? yet they qualify for social security, SSI and ultimately medicare. it is a slap in the face to anyone who has contributed to "the system" all of their working years, only to have a johnny come lately immigrant come and get more than his fair share.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Treasury at this date is not what it will be in few short weeks. The changing of the guard will change such political pronouncements so what Paulson says is meaningless at this late date.

The Democrats will never have the guts to tackle SS as they haven't in the past. Seantor Breaux was a democrt and he got no where . But the next preasdient will be warned about the short fall in the future by teh office of managemnent and budget as required by law and he must respond just as Bush did with a proposal by law.All suddies have shown that eithyer huge payroll tax increases o0r reductions in benefiots are all that will help now has they did the increase age the last time and it hasn't worked. They woul;d probaly have to increrase it to 70 and that won't pass.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:34 PM

653 posts, read 1,919,090 times
what they should be doing is remove the cap on the SS contribution that will bring some more money to fund SS payout,
i don't think those high paying salary would mind.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:04 PM

That would not raise the amount that is need even then. In the end what I think they will do is to raise the payroll deduction and the retirement age again.There is also talk about setting up some type of tax deduction for more savings.Remember this is a trust fund;be it a trust fund that would be ilegal if not the government running it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement