Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:02 AM

450 posts, read 2,055,680 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to say that so many people have the dream of living in some resort area on the waterfront. Well, I can't afford that with the present state of my retirement nest egg. I am even having to work an extra year or so. But there are places that are beautiful and less expensive. I offer you Toledo Bend Lake. Please go to the Louisiana forum and see my recent post on Toledo Bend January 09 update. I will add here that less than an hour from the place I describe is Natchidoches--the quaint town where they filmed Steel Magnolias. It has lots of bed and breakfasts and excellent medical. About an hour from my land on the north end--the cheapest end--of Toledo Bend lake is easy access to the University Medical Center Southeast of Shreveport. It is a major medical park.

Last edited by Kurt; 01-10-2009 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 09:40 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
But its still a fair drive or ambulance ride to Shreveport. There are however much closer medical on the Texas side. I use to have a home on Toledo bend and it is a very nice area tho.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:45 AM

114 posts, read 419,360 times
I live in a quiet neighborhood with a home owner's association. I am a few minutes from numerous restaurants and retail stores. We keep our garage doors closed. Toledo Bend sounds like a place with boats and trailers in plain view from the street. We have curbs and storm drains. To each his own.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:30 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
I want M'Lynn (Sally Fields) , Olympia Dukasis and Oeiser (Shirley McLaine) as my friends. Those beautiful old homes. Would love to live in a town like Nachidoches..

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 01-10-2009, 02:08 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,348 times
Spend a few weeks there in August before deciding to move.
And check insurance rates. That is hurricane country.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:50 PM

Wink Boats and trailers in plain view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pont neuf View Post
I live in a quiet neighborhood with a home owner's association. I am a few minutes from numerous restaurants and retail stores. We keep our garage doors closed. Toledo Bend sounds like a place with boats and trailers in plain view from the street. We have curbs and storm drains. To each his own.

Well, there are some more ritzy areas that would have the restrictions you mention. But you are correct in ascertaining that I am talking septic tanks and larger lot sizes that would include stuff in the back yard. It is no doubt too primitive for your tastes at this point in time. My point was to avoid excessive cost-of-living by looking at a lesser developed area.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:52 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Kurt, is that where you've decided to retire when you're able to? I know you were debating between two areas and I'm a bit familiar with the other area you were looking at.

What made you choose this one? Is it nicer or better cost of living, etc?

Old 01-10-2009, 02:59 PM

Talking Summer heat but not really hurricane danger zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Spend a few weeks there in August before deciding to move.
And check insurance rates. That is hurricane country.
It is indeed hotter than Tennessee and the mountains in the Summer. But it is much warmer in the colder months and no snow or ice. As to hurricanes, the area is far enough inland to lessen the blow considerably. I live on the Florida coast and had my roof taken off with 110 mph wind from Ivan. Rita was the worst for Toledo Bend with some winds clocked at 90mph--but that was not sustained. There were trees down and some damage to trailers that were not secured--but nothing compared to the coast. Such storms are rare. Gustav produced 40 mph winds on Toledo Bend. No real damage. Most big storms that go inland do so well to the East or West of the area. I know my hurricanes and have been through 3 major ones. Hurricane Alley is Biloxi over the eastern Louisiana. The next area would be Houston/Galveston well to the west of Toledo Bend. As I said, many in Houston and South Louisiana have "Hurricane camps" or retreats in the area to get away from the storms. And as to the heat, on the big main lake the breezes are frequent and cooling.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:03 PM

Smile Howdy, Texdav. Good to hear from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But its still a fair drive or ambulance ride to Shreveport. There are however much closer medical on the Texas side. I use to have a home on Toledo bend and it is a very nice area tho.
I am much closer to Shreveport on the north end. I am talking mostly Louisiana side living, of course. Although it is a bit of a drive to Lufkin and Natchidoches. Living on Big Sam or Lake Rayburn would be better for that. But Rayburn has too many waterfront restrictions for me, although it has fewer stumps. It is really low right now. Seems to me you live down closer to Jasper--a very nice area with many amenities--but too far south to service most of Toledo Bend. God Bless.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:05 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Sorry about my previous post. We posted at the same time and you've already answered my question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement