Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 08:40 AM

96 posts, read 323,538 times

Advertisements

Now that I'm retired, I love to take extended trips. I have the time that I never had when I was working, but I don't want to spend it ALL on ONE trip. [Notice I didn't say I wanted to save it for the kids!!]

So, I have done some research and found some great deals are out there to be had by all!! I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 03:44 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Well, I don't really have anything. I know JanB has been saying how great something called evergreen(?) is to travel to guest houses. It could be a great resource for when I retire next year.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:55 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
I have no personal knowledge of this, but my wife used to get stuff in the mail from them, and it looked interesting.

Elderhostel: Educational Travel and Learning Vacations for Adults from Alaska to Italy

Quote:
Discover nearly 8,000 educational tours in all 50 states and more than 90 countries with Elderhostel, the not-for-profit leader in educational travel since 1975. Alongside local and renowned experts, experience in-depth and behind-the-scenes learning opportunities, from cultural tours and study cruises to walking, biking and more.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Yes, I use 'guest-home-directories' to travel all over the world.

It is an arrangement to stay in private homes for nominal fee. $10 -$25 / night. Your host has the option of feeding you, tho most do, with great homemade local faire. (We usually provide our guests with fresh Salmon or Steelhead + homemade IceCream and fresh PNW berries... but we give them a choice).

I started this when we were homeschooling, through a homeschool directory and had terriffic field trips all over the world and met some very diverse families. (From a farm family in Maine who had their kids forcibly removed because they were home schooling (circa 1988), to a commune in Boston with 47 family members (mostly Dead Heads, as the commune ran a medical bus to Grateful Dead concerts).

In any case, the stays have really made the trip special, and good learning experience for all.

The directories list the career / interests of the hosts and the extent of facilities. (quite a few have separate 'guest houses'). One in NH is so much fun we've been back several times, and there are only a couple that had crummy beds, but I bring a pad and use the floor if necessary. I feel they are very safe and had a single mom and her 2 teenage daughters use it for a round-the-usa trip last year. They had thought they might use it occasionally, but had so much fun, and felt so safe and welcome, they planned the rest of their trip by available hosts.

evergreenclub is for folks over 50, so I just joined them ! and have used it on 2 trips since Dec. Both were superb. As always , you get the straight scoop on local stuff to do and 'back road adventure'.

There are several different directories, but most common is Evergreen and Affordable Travel. Sometimes you are required to be available to host (which only happens about 3x / yr), others make you pay more if you don't want to host, and some charge extra for the directory if you don't host ($30 instead of $25).

We have been part of a Mennonite directory for many years, tho we are not Mennonite. The farm homes and meals and people are very great, and many are well traveled internationally for relief work. I learn A LOT from each family, and often stick around and help on the farm, garden, business or home.

I can't recommend it enough, tho there are many options. (Like sojourn traveler, that sound fun too!!)

Old 02-08-2009, 08:50 PM

Default Here are some resources for extended travel that I have used.

HERE ARE SOME RESOURCES FOR EXTENDED TRAVEL!!
When we travel, we love to go for an extended period of time. We have used several sources with great success. I'd recommend that you try:

1. Rentals with private owners: http://vrbo.com This is an excellent resource. And remember, these are private individuals...they can be flexible. If they do not have a monthly rate, just ask.....If you want a discount...just tell them you will take excellent care of their place.....You never know...For example, when we went to Mexico, the weekly rate was $800. We got the place for $1200 for the month including all taxes and fees!!! And it was beautiful!!!

2. Do a home exchange. People who do home exchanges are unique people. They like the "off beat" many times. So, your home on a farm in Ohio, for example, could be just what a city person in Tokoyo is looking for!!
I like two sites: "http://homeexchange.com On the homeexchange site you can even do a "reverse search" to see who wants to come to your area....then just e-mail those folks. Also,everyone who has set their profile for a specific location gets a notification when there is a new lising or you update your listing. I belong there and get about one offer a week....for places all over the world.

3. Use a home of someone on a Sabbatical. This is a GREAT resource--pay attention!! [Can you tell I'm a retired teacher??] SabbaticalHomes.com - Home Exchange, House for Rent, Home Rentals, House Swap
Here university professors and educators of all kinds list their homes for rent and/or exchange when they are going to be out of the country. The length of offers are from one month to a year....and the prices are from "house sit" to full rent...but it is a wonderful resource.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:47 PM

Sorry, I noticed that the second of the two homeexchange websites was not listed above. The second one is seniorhomeexchange.com Obviously it is for seniors. I've used all of the above sites for my own travels. So far, I have not had a bad experience with any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement