Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2009, 05:30 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,143,925 times

Advertisements

What is it like to go back to your home town? Is it still recognizable?

I am quite lucky. My family lived in five houses during my childhood, and all five are still there, looking pretty much the same, in a town that hasn't changed all that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 08:25 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,276,010 times
I moved too much during my childhood, so I don't really feel like I have a hometown. Home is where my heart is and where I choose to hang my hat.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:11 AM

2,061 posts, read 4,142,002 times
House is still there~ but nobody is willing to give me the time of day~ so I'm over where I grew up~ living anywhere else is preferable!

Old 03-26-2009, 01:53 PM

1,327 posts, read 4,709,934 times
The house I lived in from birth until I was about 9 years old was still there the last time I was in the area (rural central Louisiana) about 2 years ago, but I don't know anyone living in that community any more. Since I have not lived there for the last 46 years, it would be difficult to call it my home town. The community has changed quite a bit, but it is still recognizable for the most part. I would never return to that same community as it is a very small community with no jobs or goods and services nearby.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:26 PM

18,741 posts, read 33,465,595 times
I have no interest in going back to the post-war suburb I grew up in for the same reason I left at 18 and stayed away- it's a super suburb with convenience stores and donut shops and strip malls all over the place. Develop, develop, develop. One subdivision after the other. Flat boring landscape, everything gone that existed before 1956.
Yes, there are good restaurants and shopping and all. It's just so... featureless. And summers are hot and humid. And and.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:47 AM

384 posts, read 991,629 times
It is suffocating to spend time there. It seems a world away physically and philosophically (mm..and literally is) from the life I have lived as an adult. Perhpas some of the depressing feeling now though is partly due to the the level of responsiblity and work each trip has entailed for the last 15 years as my parents declined. One is now gone, the other in her mid 90's.

I look forward to spending one more time in that area doing and seeing all it has to offer - then never going back again. In the meantime, until I can do that pleasure trip, I'll just keep going, doing what needs to be done, and being grateful that I can leave and live somewhere less depressing.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:55 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,171,035 times
The only house I ever lived in as a child - from birth to age 19 - is still there. My parents sold it in the early 1980's when I was in my late 20's. In my subconscious mind, I still think of it as home, and when I dream I'm always trying to get back to it (wonder what that means?). In reality, it's a little rowhouse in a neighborhood that's getting a little shabby and worse for wear.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:17 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,866,678 times
I've lived away from my hometown most of my adult life, but yet I still think of it as home. I do think about retiring there because it is relatively inexpensive to live, not alot of traffic, easy access to stores, etc.

The place honestly hasn't changed all that much since I left there (which is a blessing and a curse if you know what I mean)...but I've changed and what I worry about is if I would fit in or have I seen too much of the world?

I visit other areas looking for a place to retire but nothing has jumped out at me and said "this is it, this is the place" (or at least one that I could afford).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement