Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2009, 07:25 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,251 times

Advertisements

Young retiree wants to get away from the insane housing prices on Long Island, but not give up the excitement of nearby Manhattan. Have visited TOronto several times, and have often said that if it wasn't for the climate, I'd love to retire there. A beautiful city, chock full of culture, great restaurants, and easy to get around.

So what US city is closest to Toronto?

I've looked closely at Philly, and the Rittenhouse area fits but the prices there are still a bit high.

Living in an area that is walkable is very important to me.
So is a temperate climate, and a good cost of living.
And lots of art & culture. My partner is an artist, and she will want to teach adult classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 09:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Toronto is very unique.... USA is very homogeneous in comparison. I would have said Vancouver, BC... but...You want USA...

So San Franciso would top the list, but you want 'affordable', (all relative) so...
for temperate climate and diverse culture, possibly Seattle. It is easy to get around central Seattle, especially if you aren't using a car...

You might give Portland, OR a try, or her little sister, Salem, OR. These are more 'laid / back' / casual than Toronto. I always feel very 'under-dressed' there.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:50 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,251 times
Thanks for the input. Have had Portland Or suggested to me & have looked at it briefly. Never been there though. Most of what I've heard about it is good - BUT - in looking at weather Stats, it appears that it is among the leading cities on days of rain. But then again, I've seen other reports that ranks it below the norm in rainfall. Maybe it rains often but not alot? But I do like to be outside, but not in the rain. another drawback is no Major League baseball team there. But the sports packages on TV go a long way to dealing with that issue. And it IS SO FAR - we still do have family in NY that we need to visit frequently. It's quite a schlep from the NW to NYC.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Rain in Portland comes as 200+ days of drizzle, seldom a downpour. Regional rain varies by elevation, we are 20 miles from airport, but higher, and get twice the rain volume.

Maybe you meant the closest (Physically) to Toronto. sorry... Not sure you can get a much better climate and still be close. There is good ethnic diversity near DC, but it is not cheap, or much better weather.

It's a hike to NYC, tho the recent airline rates have been good ($200 RT)

I usually take a red-eye there and a late night return (so as not to burn any 'daylight')

Old 03-05-2009, 04:07 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,661,334 times
Take a look at Indianapolis, IN. A nice centrally located city. I've been there several times and was impressed enough to consider moving there at one time. Close enough to St. Louis, Cincinnati and Chicago to get your baseball fix. Relatively low cost of living with good services and a real center city.
Weather should be milder than Toronto but you'll still have four seasons.
Nearby places that are smaller are Louisville, KY and Evansville, IN. Both nice areas.
If you don't mind cold winters, Minneapolis-St. Paul has a lot of sunshine, pleasant summers and baseball. Lovely area with some great suburbs. Not sure about costs.
Personally, I love Knoxville. There are several direct flights a day to LaGuardia. No pro baseball but top level college sports as home of University of Tennessee.
We've got more diversity than you'd expect for such a small city. A big new Asian supermarket opened not far from me and I'm amazed every time I go in there at the number of Asians and Indians we have in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement