Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 04:49 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,287,942 times

Advertisements

• What were your disappointments/difficulties?
  • What did you miss?
  • How soon did you become disillusioned?
  • Could more thorough research/visiting have helped you discover these issues before your move?
  • Did you decide to stay put or move again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 05:45 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,688,265 times
You can research and area to death. Learn everything piece of data and still not know an area. There is no other way than to pay the price of living in a new area to know what it is really like. I urge everyone to do their homework, but most importantly spend some time in your prospective area before you make a large investment of a permanent home. Most places have short term leases or extended stay hotels. Both of these options would be far cheaper than to buy a home, move, and in three months find you hate it.
Talk to people but remember, different strokes for different folks. Many people will tell you they love their new area, but if the move they made was to hell they would describe it as , "nice and warm and no snow to shovel, come on down."
Real estate people are salesmen/women. Like any good sales person, they will tell you what you want to hear. Most have very long noses.
People who move for their children are most often disappointed. (Unless you're moving to get away from them).
There is no place like home.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:24 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,047,267 times
I left everything from 30+ years behind, when moving 3k miles from the east coast to the west coast - but I RENTED for two years before becomming a permanent resident and property owner in Oregon. I knew what I was getting in to.

Still.......... I miss the Florida winters

Old 02-25-2009, 11:38 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,400,404 times
Coney, I know you said you rented for two years before making a permanent commitment in OR, but how long has it been since you bought there?

Old 02-25-2009, 12:31 PM

Cool Four years later..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Coney, I know you said you rented for two years before making a permanent commitment in OR, but how long has it been since you bought there?
It's been four years since I purchased my country home. I absolutely fell in love with the home, situated on almost 4 parklike acres. It's just the cold winters, bleakness, and lack of active social-life that get me a little "down", but I guess my age has a lot to do with it...... 70 ...... and I don't have the energy I used to have

This area has a huge retiree population but it takes effort to drive 8 miles into town for activities!

Old 02-25-2009, 05:34 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,950 times
I think it is also a good idea to check out the area, as best as you can before retiring. However, you will never get the real feel until you been in a area for sometimes many years. Initially, when you move, you are more like a tourist, all the local attractions are so exciting and new. After a time, many of those local tourist attractions will lose their allure. So, you are back to the same issues--the quality of life that impacts normal everyday activities.

I find a big problem with retirees wanting to retire in Colorado to some small rural town or in a remote mountain town. These people may be younger retirees, in their forties, fifties or early sixties. They somehow forget that as they age they will have a greater demand for health services and medicare. Then, they find that there are few doctors if any; there are less choices of insurance and the hospitals are a distance away.

In addition, they assume that will always be able to drive, sometimes through difficult rural and mountain roads, long distances; they forget importance of public transportation--which does not exist or is minimal. Not only going to the doctor is a problem but shopping and social activities become a burden; just like ConeyIsBabe said in the previous post "...it takes effort to drive 8 miles into town..."

That is one of the reasons I am happy in the metro Denver area because it has extensive health care options, including a VA hospital, and an excellent public transportation system which is expanding. When I moved here, I did not think about medical problems because I was young, but now I have severe problems that are met by the advantages in Denver.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 02-25-2009 at 05:57 PM..

Old 02-25-2009, 07:34 PM

653 posts, read 1,918,420 times
you have such a lovely place, where would be your next move?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I purchased my country home. I absolutely fell in love with the home, situated on almost 4 parklike acres. It's just the cold winters, bleakness, and lack of active social-life that get me a little "down", but I guess my age has a lot to do with it...... 70 ...... and I don't have the energy I used to have

This area has a huge retiree population but it takes effort to drive 8 miles into town for activities!

Old 02-26-2009, 12:47 AM

37,797 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
  • What were your disappointments/difficulties?
  • What did you miss?
  • How soon did you become disillusioned?
  • Could more thorough research/visiting have helped you discover these issues before your move?
  • Did you decide to stay put or move again?
I didn't move to a place that was wrong for me but I did visit one that was really wrong for me before I found my spot. I learned that retirement publications promote the kinds of retirement spots that appeal to the people who write the magazine articles and books and many of those people are urban types and wealthy...not that there is anything wrong with that. But, they aren't likely to like the things I like, they have a totally different concept of "smaller town" than I do, tourists and people who reside in their town part time don't seem to bother them since they live with tourists and vacation with tourists, they don't see population density as a possible factor to influence retirement relocation since nothing seems overcrowded to them and frankly, they don't seem to be too into traditional celebrations. The point being, if you are not from a city or wealthy, you need to look beyond retirement magazines and books when doing your pre-visit research. What appeals to Joe New York City or Jane Seattle might not appeal to Frank and Mary Suburbia but Jane and Joe are the types writing the retirement relocation/best places articles.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:48 AM

Cool Where to next????

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonelsewhere View Post
you have such a lovely place, where would be your next move?.

Well, if I won the Lottery....... my next move might be in Sausalito, or somewhere on the coast of California - BUT - otherwise, somewhere where the winters are warm - maybe Florida ? dunno

Old 02-26-2009, 09:55 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,185,309 times
LauraC------I hav always enjoyed reading your words of wisdom ( I will be re-locating soon)

How did you find the place you're at?

What made you decide it was worthy of your time and money to check it out?

I also will repeat some excellent advice you gave before about people taking for granted the things they have in their old area and discovering they are not in their new area.

Has that happened to you ( even in a small way) ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement