Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 06:39 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratch33 View Post
hmm, lemme check: Nope! :d
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
We never did the Baltimore thing of having a boat, the damned things are just a hole in the water into which one tosses paychecks. Rent a damned boat if you only go once in a great while, or go fishing on a charter boat, but don't plunk down huge bucks for something that loses 50% of it's value once you sign the title to own it.
We did the boat thing for years and it was the best time of our lives. It was a ski boat and that was when I could get beat up from being ejected out of my ski, do a face plant and go back and do it again, then we had a bunch of us on knee boards trying to knock each other off, more face plants ouch but we got on our boards again. I'd work 7p-7a, come home a sleep a few hours, friends would call and tell me to get my but out of bed and up I got and did it all over again. What a blast.

I've been down to Baltimore and talked to people who live on their boats. I'm not sure I'd like to do that though.

Very good post Mike, thanks for bringing the memories back, we called our boat our vacation home since instead of going away we spent with friends on our boat. It saved us a lot of money because going away is expensive. I agree with the rest, it's more like not thinking you can do and have whatever you want, its more like being selective.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:56 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
We did the boat thing for years and it was the best time of our lives. It was a ski boat and that was when I could get beat up from being ejected out of my ski, do a face plant and go back and do it again, then we had a bunch of us on knee boards trying to knock each other off, more face plants ouch but we got on our boards again. I'd work 7p-7a, come home a sleep a few hours, friends would call and tell me to get my but out of bed and up I got and did it all over again. What a blast.

I've been down to Baltimore and talked to people who live on their boats. I'm not sure I'd like to do that though.

Very good post Mike, thanks for bringing the memories back, we called our boat our vacation home since instead of going away we spent with friends on our boat. It saved us a lot of money because going away is expensive. I agree with the rest, it's more like not thinking you can do and have whatever you want, its more like being selective.
If you use a boat (or RV, etc) a lot then it makes sense to buy and enjoy them. I've fond memories of my uncle's small cabin on the upper Severn (adjacent to Sappington's Yacht Yard) and his small fishing boat.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:21 PM

7,456 posts, read 4,688,527 times
To me retirement means not employed, not even self-employed, and not doing anything for any compensation/money, like consultancy or selling houses.

Some of the posts here say "I'm retired but do some work", or "I'm retired but do work on my own terms" or "I'm retired but I do side projects that pay".

If that's the definition of retirement, that meant I retired back in 2012 when I left an executive job to go into a less stress work that I enjoy doing. So even though come Monday, I would wake up and dress up and drive for work, I would drive knowing I am already retired. Before I would be the one serving employees food on company cookouts. Now, I fall in line and the executives tell me the food choices, I select and they serve me.

The new me : retired before 40 and I don't feel guilty about it!!!

Old 05-21-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
To me retirement means not employed, not even self-employed, and not doing anything for any compensation/money, like consultancy or selling houses.

Some of the posts here say "I'm retired but do some work", or "I'm retired but do work on my own terms" or "I'm retired but I do side projects that pay".

If that's the definition of retirement, that meant I retired back in 2012 when I left an executive job to go into a less stress work that I enjoy doing. So even though come Monday, I would wake up and dress up and drive for work, I would drive knowing I am already retired. Before I would be the one serving employees food on company cookouts. Now, I fall in line and the executives tell me the food choices, I select and they serve me.

The new me : retired before 40 and I don't feel guilty about it!!!
Retired before 40, wow, congrats!

Old 05-21-2016, 08:12 PM

7,456 posts, read 4,688,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
...oh, and if you feel the need to tell people about a "productive project" tell them you are writing a book.

That's the sort of project that impresses people, and years can go by without needing to show them anything. If you don't like the idea of telling a white lie, it's an easy project to take on. Who knows--in time you might even publish it and discover a hidden talent.

If they continue to needle you, tell them it's a murder mystery and periodically write down little notes whenever your family gets snide. Then tell them you need some good quotes for your victim to say right before he gets whacked....
Tell them something to the tune of "Oh you got inheritance so you got to retire early. That's a little unfair don't you think?"

Old 05-21-2016, 09:58 PM

515 posts, read 778,464 times
I retired just before I turned 60 while my wife is still working and has our health insurance. She loves her job and says she's working as long as she can. I signed up for SS at 62 and I bank most of that. I haven't even thought about touching my 401 K or turning on a $250,000 annuity or using other tax deferred money that we have. Why should I feel guilty? I don't, because I managed for my retirement. I made all my sacrifices while I was working so that I could enjoy my retirement and not worry about having enough money to choose between taking a pill, eating a meal, or seeking a thrill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement