Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 04:00 PM

169 posts, read 195,281 times

Advertisements

I've saved my money, lived conservatively and look forward to a decent retirement within the next 10 years.

Over the holidays I was contacted by several old friends who are basically near homeless, heavily in debt and broke. Drugs and alcohol are factors but also not realizing we no longer have peak earning years in front of us they've blown their money. I gave an old friend a bed for 3 nights, a tank of gas and money to get him down the road.

At this age I'm seeing almost destitute friends who are to young for SS. It would be extremely sad to be near 60 and know you no longer had the years to build wealth.

Do you have trouble saying NO to old broke friends ?

Last edited by Doubletrouble; 12-27-2013 at 04:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 04:11 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletrouble View Post
I've saved my money, lived conservatively and look forward to a decent retirement within the next 10 years.

Over the holidays I was contacted by several old friends who are basically near homeless, heavily in debt and broke. Drugs and alcohol are factors but also not realizing we no longer have peak earning years in front of us. I gave an old friend a bed for 3 nights, a tank of gas and money to get him down the road.

At this age I'm seeing almost destitute friends who are to young for SS. It would be extremely sad to be near 60 and know you no longer had the years to build wealth.

Indeed it's sad to think about people in their sixties who are broke. I don't have any such friends, so I don't know for sure if I would have trouble saying NO; I think it would depend on who they are, what the relationship is or has been, and whether or not I think it's their own doing. I do have a couple of broke cousins in their sixties, but they haven't approached me. In one case - female cousin age 68 - I would tell her to rot in hell because five or six years ago she told me off and told me not to contact her. We make our beds, and then frequently we are forced to lie in them.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I have help a few over the years but always for a short fall and was always paid back; even tho I always made it clear it wans't a loan. All where current friends I still know well and have for decades. I never thought about saying no really. Never had one from past show up out of no where and can't think of any how. I guess I say if they are friends why wouldn't you help them or better yet who would you help if not them.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:34 PM

169 posts, read 195,281 times
I wouldn't mind helping with a small gift of money but that is only a temporary solution for these 2 guys.
Being a single guy with a decent home they would both like to move in but that's not an option.
It's hard to say no especially this time of year.

When we are 20 we don't realize how quickly we get to 60. Many make the trip recklessly.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:53 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:

Over the holidays I was contacted by several old friends who are basically near homeless, heavily in debt and broke. Drugs and alcohol are factors but also not realizing we no longer have peak earning years in front of us. I gave an old friend a bed for 3 nights, a tank of gas and money to get him down the road.

I've never had any that did drugs or drank excessively.

It is a relief to know I reached the point where I can just pack it in and retire at any time with any additional work looked at as a bonus. The way I look at it now is for each additional year I work my social security will increase by $180 monthly so working one additional year covers my household heating/cooling costs for the rest of my life. One additional year after that and cell phone for two (with all the bells and whistles) is paid for forever. One additional year after that and my property tax/homeowners insurance is covered forever. And finally, one year to age 70, another $180 for spending money... take the wife to dinner once a week.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
I wouldn't mind helping with a small gift of money but that is only a temporary solution for these 2 guys.
Being a single guy with a decent home they would both like to move in but that's not an option.
It's hard to say no especially this time of year.

When we are 20 we don't realize how quickly we get to 60. Many make the trip recklessly.
But you did what you could. You can't solve their problems of alcohol and drugs tho.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:25 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
At least it is just friends...imagine family...my Mom lost her job at 55. She was planning on that last ten years of pay...no drugs or alcohol, just the economy.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:29 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
At least it is just friends...imagine family...my Mom lost her job at 55. She was planning on that last ten years of pay...no drugs or alcohol, just the economy.
Successful planning to retirement is 40% the right decisions with luck thrown in and 60% pure luck!

Old 12-27-2013, 08:36 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
There will be a much greater percentage of broke 60 year olds 15 years from now.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:52 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
If two guys were wanting to move in with me I would change the locks and buy a mean looking dog.

We have been feeding an over 60 year old homeless woman for over a year now while her nephew puts her SSI check in his pocket so I'm not heartless, just cautious.

Like another poster said, how the person got in the situation would influence my response. We live in a small condo so there isn't a lot of room to share. As the years roll by, I have learned that you can't live anyone else's pain, just show them where find food and housing within their own means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement