Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2022, 02:08 PM

245 posts, read 305,867 times

Advertisements

I've been told I'm a pretty good story teller and I bet most of us here have some interesting things we've seen and done in our lives that we'd enjoy writing about.

(Similar to the oral series "The Moth" on NPR.)

Thank you!

https://themoth.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2022, 07:28 AM

7,219 posts, read 9,379,108 times
Ever visit a pub?

Meet a group of friends, get to know each other, listen to the other guy's stories, tell them your stories and enjoy a few brews.

No worries mate, she'll be right!

Old 04-25-2022, 02:24 PM

8,811 posts, read 5,120,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianstad View Post
I've been told I'm a pretty good story teller and I bet most of us here have some interesting things we've seen and done in our lives that we'd enjoy writing about.

(Similar to the oral series "The Moth" on NPR.)

Thank you!

https://themoth.org/
Sure....Let me get a glass, and a bottle of wine......ok, go for it.

Old 04-26-2022, 09:54 AM

24,574 posts, read 18,384,316 times
I thought this was the forum where retirees could tell their story? The mod has a “don’t report as off-topic” post as a sticky.

I’ve gotten quite a few stories here. It’s entertaining.

Old 04-26-2022, 10:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,713 posts, read 81,610,975 times
We recently tried a British Pub in Redmond, WA for dinner, called "Three Lions Pub." I had Bangers & Mash, my wife had Shepherd's Pie. I drank a pint of Wisdom Seeker by Black Raven Brewing. Anyway, the interesting thing about this place at 4:30-5pm was the number of older guys with British accents sitting at the bar - telling stories. We couldn't help listening in, and had a few laughs quietly.

Old 04-27-2022, 08:28 AM

2,889 posts, read 1,830,002 times
Christianstad,

Tell us a story; maybe inspire others. Tell of your own life, for me wish I knew more of my kin.

Maternal aunt survived thev1906 San Francisco earthquake, she was in an orphanage, seems on top on a hill. An orphanage at the time was known as an asylum, the children, inmates ! Her sister, my maternal grandmother, age 13, had just gone to work on a farm outside the city.

With few exceptions, Retirement Thread, for me, is about finding you Eden after your retirement, finances, health, senioritis ! Vintage years !

Old 04-27-2022, 02:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
I'll volunteer a story for you. I was 19 years old in 1971 and while camping with a friend my car broke down in Albion, CA on the north coast. It was going to take several days to fix and we lived in Lafayette, about 160 miles south, so we hitchhiked. After a logging truck, then some hippies in a VW van, we stopped in Cloverdale for breakfast. A guy there offered us a ride home since he was going to the Bay Area anyway. About 5 miles down highway 101 he got a speeding ticket and was then in a foul mood. When we got to San Francisco and the elevated freeway intersection below, he stopped between those white lines and ordered us out of the car. We wanted to go on I80, but he was going toward Civic Center. We had no way to get down from there, but after 20 minutes the Highway Patrol came by and stopped. He gave us a ride to the Greyhound bus depot and said that if he saw us hitchhiking we would go to jail. We took the bus.

Old 04-27-2022, 06:46 PM

2,889 posts, read 1,830,002 times
Thanks Hemlock for sharing , to me, a scary story, glad you're here to tell.it.! So enjoyed the picture too, living in Oakland, grandparents living in San Francisco.

What year did you leave the Bay Area, anything you miss ?

Old 04-28-2022, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Thanks Hemlock for sharing , to me, a scary story, glad you're here to tell.it.! So enjoyed the picture too, living in Oakland, grandparents living in San Francisco.

What year did you leave the Bay Area, anything you miss ?
We moved up here in 1993, after visiting the summer before and falling in love with the mild summer, and green everywhere.
I don't miss the brown hills dotted with a few oak trees, nor the hot summers. What we miss the most, of course, is the family and friends, but some have since joined us up here, in Gig Harbor and Sequim. There were some favorite restaurants that we missed but have since closed, such as Spenger's in Berkeley and Banchero's in Hayward. We used to go to Lake Tahoe every year but have still done that until Covid & the fires, it's only 14 hours drive. The last time we were there was 2019.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement