Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 09:33 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,329 times

Advertisements

There were several years during which people were going to the large cities in Arizona and Florida to retire. Just by reading many of the posts on city-data it seems people are looking at other areas to retire.

I know I'm not looking at those traditional places for retirement.

Will you be moving to another location when you retire? What states are you considering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 09:36 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Never fond of heat, I'm looking Northeast or possibly Northwest. Heading up to Nantucket for a think, and then I'll drive up to Maine for the proper look-see!

So, the States I'd commit to, and the forums I follow are MA and ME. I already did NM for a year and found it just didn't suit this Yank!

Old 04-24-2007, 01:01 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I'm moving to Vegas! I have been spending time there for years and I love it.

I'm probably different. I have already spent years in cold rural places with nothing to do. I want to retire to a place with some fun things to do. I don't need to ever shovel snow again. It will be wonderful not to be cold for more than half the year. If I can just sell my house.....

Old 04-24-2007, 11:04 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Never fond of heat, I'm looking Northeast or possibly Northwest. Heading up to Nantucket for a think, and then I'll drive up to Maine for the proper look-see!

So, the States I'd commit to, and the forums I follow are MA and ME. I already did NM for a year and found it just didn't suit this Yank!
I wanted out of the heat and developed criteria for a new home. After two years of research and a bunch of trips we moved from Texas to Washington.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:09 AM

Would you share your criteria?

I've added some and deleted others (since NM) but would love to hear how others make their final decision.

And, WA was on my list and it may re-surface if the Northeast doesn't prove to be the best place for me (I am an East Coaster, by birth and possibly by temperament). One of my closer friends just moved to Aberdeen (WA) from Asheville (NC) and thus far, a couple of months, seems very pleased with the decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I wanted out of the heat and developed criteria for a new home. After two years of research and a bunch of trips we moved from Texas to Washington.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:47 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
We are talking about moving from IN to TN mostly for the gentler climate. Hubby likes the mountains. Chatanooga (or however it is spelled) caught his eye and we found a new set of condos that are the same floor plan they use here and we like.

We checked out Florida and all the other popular retirement locations and they are not for us. Often crowded and expensive.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:52 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,653 times
You really have to like living in a extremely damp and wet cloudy rather dark climate to live here. I don't care how you turn it, it is at least 9 to 10 months of the year like this, with even some of the summer not panning out to be sunny and warm. As you get older you have to take that into consideration, expecially, and I can't stress enough, if you don't come from here, and have no ties or family here, the need to stay here as you grow older will decrease very very quickly. You will then find yourselves on this website looking for another locale, and the cycle goes on and on. I would suggest anyone thinking of retireing to the northwest rent an apt for 1 year or more whatever it takes before comminting to a house and staying here, I am so glad I did not purchase anything here, and when the time is right for me, and I feel comfortable with a decision to leave to one of these less traditional retirement areas I will go. I don't ythink I will follow the book I read that lead me to here though RETIRE IN STYLE BY WARREN BLAND. who coincidently after writing his book of all the places he researched, He settled in Portland, Of course Mr Bland is a very wealthy man, and Im sure is not living where the rest of us are in Portland.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:01 PM

Chattanooga is a great little city. I spent a little bit of time there, in '92, when it was just beginning its rebound and was impressed.

I wish I could get around my prejudices about living in the South--deeply ingrained Northern--so that places like Chattanooga would get some of my interest. Too many political and religious differences that I am afraid I couldn't overcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
We are talking about moving from IN to TN mostly for the gentler climate. Hubby likes the mountains. Chatanooga (or however it is spelled) caught his eye and we found a new set of condos that are the same floor plan they use here and we like.

We checked out Florida and all the other popular retirement locations and they are not for us. Often crowded and expensive.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:04 PM

I haven't read any of the retirement books, but now know to avoid this one!

I loved much of Portland (OR) but did sense it was damp, wet and not arthritis friendly--something I have in spades. I'm in Pittsburgh (on a visit to the kids) and it has been so bitter here, rain, high humidity and lots of changing barometric pressure, on a few days I thought I'd like to die.

Nothing is perfect, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
You really have to like living in a extremely damp and wet cloudy rather dark climate to live here. I don't care how you turn it, it is at least 9 to 10 months of the year like this, with even some of the summer not panning out to be sunny and warm. As you get older you have to take that into consideration, expecially, and I can't stress enough, if you don't come from here, and have no ties or family here, the need to stay here as you grow older will decrease very very quickly. You will then find yourselves on this website looking for another locale, and the cycle goes on and on. I would suggest anyone thinking of retireing to the northwest rent an apt for 1 year or more whatever it takes before comminting to a house and staying here, I am so glad I did not purchase anything here, and when the time is right for me, and I feel comfortable with a decision to leave to one of these less traditional retirement areas I will go. I don't ythink I will follow the book I read that lead me to here though RETIRE IN STYLE BY WARREN BLAND. who coincidently after writing his book of all the places he researched, He settled in Portland, Of course Mr Bland is a very wealthy man, and Im sure is not living where the rest of us are in Portland.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:07 PM

80 posts, read 461,746 times
I can tell you that our clients are moving every direction across the country. Sometimes they are already living in a place many would consider their ideal retirement destination. They seem to be motivated primarily by climate, to live near family, to get back to familiar surroundings, or to have a new adventure. As Waterlily mentioned when she started this thread, gone are the days when the only options seemed to be Florida and Arizona. Many retirees are realizing the benefits of living near colleges, in places with four seasons, in smaller towns, etc. Towns, cities, counties, and states (most noteworthy among these are Tennessee and Mississippi) are getting into the business of attracting retirees as an approach to economic development. Baby boomers and retirees are becoming a huge economic force in this regard. For more information on this topic look for articles by Gene Warren or feel free to contact me directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement