Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 06:56 PM

175 posts, read 468,491 times

Advertisements

How about building to fit your funds? Here is a site dear to my heart. It can help your "tiny" retirement go a long way!

http://tinyhouseblog.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 10:35 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I love the tinyhouse movement and blogs and all.
In reality, though, zoning is probably the biggest issue in a truly tiny house. If you can put such a house on land, it's likely to be fairly remore and very car dependent.
(I love tiny living spaces- am fascinated by them, having lived in studio apartments until age 42).

Old 09-06-2009, 04:42 PM

175 posts, read 468,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I love the tinyhouse movement and blogs and all.
In reality, though, zoning is probably the biggest issue in a truly tiny house. If you can put such a house on land, it's likely to be fairly remore and very car dependent.
Quote:
(I love tiny living spaces- am fascinated by them, having lived in studio apartments until age 42).
I live in a Railbox right, and I love it. Here is a company in Branson that makes small cabins...
"Grandpa's Cabin" Great addition to hunting and fishing land, or vacation property. Features board and batten siding, 40 year metal roof, loft front porch makes a great place to go and relax.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:52 PM

There are a lot of wonderful companies that make small pre-fabs. Again, it's a question of zoning and whether you can put a very small house, especially a prefab on that land, as it's often consdiered a trailer. I found this out the hard way.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:24 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
I think it would be much better to find a nice small older home in an established neighborhood of a city or the older suburbs. In Denver, there are many such homes. Many are all brick ranches and are about 700-1200 square feet. A little remodeling and you have yourself a nice small house, possibly with a basement and a garage.

Since it is in an older neighborhood, you are more likely to find good public transportation. If you have that, you can even live a simpler and less expensive life without the cost of a car.

How about a home like this, for example, 499 square ft.
REcolorado.com - brought to you by Metrolist Inc. (http://www.recolorado.com/Search/propertyDetail.asp?mls_number=750467# - broken link)

Old 09-07-2009, 05:57 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I think it would be much better to find a nice small older home in an established neighborhood of a city or the older suburbs. In Denver, there are many such homes. Many are all brick ranches and are about 700-1200 square feet. A little remodeling and you have yourself a nice small house, possibly with a basement and a garage.

Since it is in an older neighborhood, you are more likely to find good public transportation. If you have that, you can even live a simpler and less expensive life without the cost of a car.

REcolorado.com - brought to you by Metrolist Inc. (http://www.recolorado.com/Search/propertyDetail.asp?mls_number=750467# - broken link)
There are lots of older neighborhoods like that in many cities. The early to mid 20th century building booms were mostly of very modest houses that were less than 1000 sq ft. My mother lives in one of those houses and there are many in her area. Nice yards too. There are many in the area I live too where McMansions haven't been built over them. They aren't necessarily inexpensive tho. Some cities have crime problems in the older neighborhoods.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:38 AM

I would love to find an existing small house. I did notice that there are many around sprawling Western cities more than in compact Eastern cities or San Francisco.

I was obsessing the other day about Manitou Springs, outside Colorado Springs, and oh, there were some fine little LITTLE houses. I always wanted a studio apartment that was free-standing, that is, a tiny house.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:23 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I could accept 1000 sf, but not 499. My books alone would fill that.

Older homes are picturesque, but I grew up in a house that was built in 1920. Maintenance is a real bear, unless someone has completely gutted it and re-built. Wiring, plumbing, lead paint, heat-leaking windows, small doorways, etc.

Might as well build a new one that looks old.

Just my opinion!

Old 09-07-2009, 10:28 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I could accept 1000 sf, but not 499. My books alone would fill that.

Older homes are picturesque, but I grew up in a house that was built in 1920. Maintenance is a real bear, unless someone has completely gutted it and re-built. Wiring, plumbing, lead paint, heat-leaking windows, small doorways, etc.

Might as well build a new one that looks old.

Just my opinion!
Yes, I do agree, some homes are too old to bother remodeling. That home that I highlighted is just too old, but I could not resist adding it to the post. A nice ranch built in the 1950-1960s would be as old as I would want.

With the foreclosure, we are seeing, in Denver, these small homes, at unbelievable prices on the market. The very low interest rates make them even more appealing. In my immediate surrounding area, all these foreclosure have been bought, remodeled and have all sold at a good profit. There is extreme competition for these homes and they are becoming harder to find. My neighborhood is more attractive because a commuter rail station is to be built, down the road from my house.

499 is small but I have lived in apartments smaller. Having many books can be a real joy and a real headache. Today, I never buy "real" printed books, as I have millions of electronic books from the virtual world, and free access to many libraries for downloads and borrowing.

Livecontent

Old 09-07-2009, 12:43 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
I like these. They are about the size of my tiny apartment. When I moved here I got rid of tons of stuff so I could fit myself in here. So I am all ready for my tiny home. No problem. As long as there's room for the cat and me.

Thanks for the website!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement