Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like a Grandparent Forum?
Are you a grandparent? 16 94.12%
Are you raising your grandchildren? 3 17.65%
Does your state have grandparents rights? 2 11.76%
Do your grandchildren live nearby? 7 41.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 06:24 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times

Advertisements

I wonder how many of we grandparents would be interested in a forum for us.. A lot of us are raising grandchildren or are traditional grandparents. It would be a good place to exchange advice, vent or just brag about our special grandkids. What do you think. Lets start talking about our grandbabiesI will tell about mine after a few posts..I have nine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 07:31 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,124,664 times
Thanks for the poll, blue62. I hope lots of members respond.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:51 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,010,360 times
Well...I hope this counts!

My SOON TO BE grandaughter will be here SHORTLY
Baby girl is due July 2nd, but I don't think she will make it past June But hey, I'm just the soon to be gramma, what do I know lol

As of the moment...It looks like my grandaughter's name is going to be Jazmine Mitzi...her nickname will be Jazzy! I know the name doesn't "flow" well, but my daughter likes Jazmine and she has almost EVERYONE's approval (even though I told her it shouldn't matter what everyone else wants )...She wants the middle name Mitzi because that is what my dad called her from the time she was born and that's what she wants to honor him. My dad is a really wonderful man, awesome dad and even more awesome grandpa! So I can understand and live with the name just the way she has it because of her intentions

I will update this page after the arrival and I am "officially" a new grandma...

Oh yeah, BTW...I told my daughter that she has to come up with some other name besides grandma for me. I am only 36 and am not ready to hear myself be called that name . I told her she can look it up in any language she wants as long as it doesn't sound like Grandma lol...that should keep her busy

And also, I have that funny feeling that I will probably be doing most of the raising! My daughter is only 17 and she will be working and finishing school...I don't care if it kills her...she is GOING TO FINISH HIGH SCHOOL! She does online homeschool, so she has NO EXCUSE to not complete high school! I am MOM and I still RULE!

Old 06-06-2007, 08:07 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,166,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I wonder how many of we grandparents would be interested in a forum for us.. A lot of us are raising grandchildren or are traditional grandparents. It would be a good place to exchange advice, vent or just brag about our special grandkids. What do you think. Lets start talking about our grandbabiesI will tell about mine after a few posts..I have nine
Ask the moderator for a sticky to keep it on the top of the page...

Old 06-06-2007, 09:04 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,856,577 times
I have made this a sticky. We'll leave it here for a while to give everyone a chance to vote.

I was thinking that a Grandparents forum would work as a subforum for the Retirement forum. However I'm not sure of the process involved in that or if it could be done.

I have 3 grandchildren but they live out of state with their parents.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:50 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,018,660 times
I voted under "I'm a grandparent" - that's not completely true until early November.

KAWG,

I'm a little older than you being a first time grandmother. I agree, grandma sounds way too old - reminds me of a gray haired old lady in a rock chair. So, I'm going to be "Gammy Paula" (note - not GRAMMY) :-)

Gammy Paula

Old 06-07-2007, 04:05 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,113,256 times
I'm always so surprised when I hear someone say that they don't like being called "grandma." Hearing my grandkids call me that is one of the thrills of my life. I have 5 grandkids ranging in age from 8 up to 27. When my oldest grandchild was born I was very young to be a grandma too but even then I loved being gama (as she first pronounced it.) To me, grandchildren are God's reward to us for not killing our kids when they were teen-agers.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:54 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
I agree lml. All nine of mine call me mamaw. Oldest is now 24, youngest is 7. I was just about to turn 41 when the first arrived. He stayed with me almost all the time, and people couldn't believe I was his mamaw. We referred to my mother in law as granny. Me and my siblings called our grandmother "dough mommie. My mother said we couldn't grab the concept of a grandmother when we were very young. Mom said she would try to explain who a grandmother was, but all we could make out of it was dough (your) mommie

Old 06-07-2007, 07:42 PM

190 posts, read 686,599 times
Being a grandparent is such a wonderful thing. I am so blessed to have five grandchildren and one great-grandchild. They make me laugh and they make me cry, and they sure keep me on my knees, but I thank God for each one of them.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:49 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,217,262 times
Great forum idea. Or maybe as a sub of the parenting forum. Somewhere other than retirement. I am a grandmother raising a grandchild, but far from retirement!

BTW, my granddaughter's mother is black and she calls her other grand mother Big Mommy. We joked about it being a cultural thing, as NO white grandma would want to be called "big" anything! I wanted her to call me grammy- because I am her cracker grandma (graham crackers, get it?!) But, since I've had her for nine+ years, she calls me mom, unless she is mad at me, at which time I become grandma. (She calls her real mom, momma Gail or mommy)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents