Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 04:50 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,034 times

Advertisements

The first plan was to sell the house, relocate from the East coast to the West, and then buy a camper and travel. We still have a month before the house is ready to be listed.

My wife decided on a different plan. We will buy a camper and when the house is sold, we will send our stuff to storage and take off in the camper. After some travelling, we will look for a rental or, more likely, a new house.

The process has started and all of a sudden talk has turned to action. Last week we stumbled upon a great deal on a used camper that exactly meets our needs. Last night we reached agreement on the price. Now we are looking for a new truck. I am a bit nervous paying for all of this without selling the house but I am still working and will not give notice until the house is sold. It will be hard to move out of the house we have been in for over 20 years. It will be hard to move away from family and friends. But I think my wife is right - this approach should make it much easier. We will also have any amount of time we need to make a final decision on a new house and we will save lots of money in the process. Storage space is a lot cheaper than paying for a house. In addition it seems that housing prices are still declining at least in Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 05:59 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,322,122 times
Sounds a little like us. House renovations won't be done until next winter. Then it goes on the market in the spring. Then we sell. But I retire next June, 2011, no matter what. Once house is sold, we move north 600 miles away to the seashore in Maine. Probably a large meteor will hit the north atlantic not 2013, and the tidal wave will kill us. ;-)

Old 05-04-2010, 06:11 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
The first plan was to sell the house, relocate from the East coast to the West, and then buy a camper and travel. We still have a month before the house is ready to be listed.

My wife decided on a different plan. We will buy a camper and when the house is sold, we will send our stuff to storage and take off in the camper. After some travelling, we will look for a rental or, more likely, a new house.

The process has started and all of a sudden talk has turned to action. Last week we stumbled upon a great deal on a used camper that exactly meets our needs. Last night we reached agreement on the price. Now we are looking for a new truck. I am a bit nervous paying for all of this without selling the house but I am still working and will not give notice until the house is sold. It will be hard to move out of the house we have been in for over 20 years. It will be hard to move away from family and friends. But I think my wife is right - this approach should make it much easier. We will also have any amount of time we need to make a final decision on a new house and we will save lots of money in the process. Storage space is a lot cheaper than paying for a house. In addition it seems that housing prices are still declining at least in Oregon.
Best of luck on your plan/adventure. Enjoy!

Old 05-04-2010, 08:22 AM

183 posts, read 352,196 times
That's great! We have a couple of boys to finish raising (12 and 14) before we hit the road. We are envious. Good luck!!

Old 05-04-2010, 08:38 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:

Whatever approach you use you have a plan and that's the important thing. I wish you joy in your retirement. We certainly revel in ours!

Old 05-04-2010, 11:53 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
There comes a point when all the talk and planning has to turn to action. It's a little scary but it has to happen.

Best of luck!

Old 05-04-2010, 03:20 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
We did things the other way around. The house in Westchester County NY is sold, the new house in AZ is built and we are living there. We retire on June 30 and already have couple of trips planned. But we have started talking about getting a small camper so we can do those trips into the National Parks that we always wanted to do.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:34 PM

Jaggy001,
That sounds similar to our initial plans except our move was to be from Long Island to southern Oregon. We already spent our time in AZ before the population boom.

Now we are jumping a little deeper than I anticipated. I am already looking at how to handle life's issues while living as a full time RVer. At least both my wife and I have some camping and travel experience. We pretty much know what we are getting into. I give it 6 months before we look at settle down. My wife thinks longer. She wants to see every major park and all 49 north american States.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:58 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Quote:
Jaggy001,
That sounds similar to our initial plans except our move was to be from Long Island to southern Oregon. We already spent our time in AZ before the population boom.

Now we are jumping a little deeper than I anticipated. I am already looking at how to handle life's issues while living as a full time RVer. At least both my wife and I have some camping and travel experience. We pretty much know what we are getting into. I give it 6 months before we look at settle down. My wife thinks longer. She wants to see every major park and all 49 north american States.
I think you take the time you need to take whether that is 6 months or 6 years. That is certainly our approach. Having worked since we were 14 and 11 (babysitting and then real work) respectively, we have no idea how we are going to find not working or what activities we will get into in retirement. So, we don't plan to force anything but to let events take their course.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
......we have no idea how we are going to find not working or what activities we will get into in retirement. So, we don't plan to force anything but to let events take their course.
It sounds like you are overdue for retirement and learning how to enjoy yourself. Living in Arizona means you won't have to go far. You don't need to even look for national parks. I could spend months in northern Arizona and southern Utah. I recommend photography. In addition to providing a creative outlet, it will give you an excuse to explore and hike.

Best of luck in your retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement