Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 02:36 PM

583 posts, read 1,324,826 times

Advertisements

This is interesting, passing on the right is legal in RI? On what basis in such a populated state? Dumb law because it's dangerous. I suspect that it is another law passed by many years ago by inept ri legilators nostalgic for the Roman Autostrada. In general, people don't go slow in the left lanes in RI and MA like they do in other parts of the country, New England drivers are too aggressive. It's just that our region's drivers feel entitled to do 80-85 and someone in front of them is going 65-70.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 08:51 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,056,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltatrix View Post
This is interesting, passing on the right is legal in RI? On what basis in such a populated state? Dumb law because it's dangerous. I suspect that it is another law passed by many years ago by inept ri legilators nostalgic for the Roman Autostrada. In general, people don't go slow in the left lanes in RI and MA like they do in other parts of the country, New England drivers are too aggressive. It's just that our region's drivers feel entitled to do 80-85 and someone in front of them is going 65-70.
Motor and Other vehicles
CHAPTER 31-15
Passing, Use of Lanes, and Rules of the Road
SECTION 31-15-5

§ 31-15-5 Overtaking on the right. – (a) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:

(1) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn;

(2) Upon a one-way street, or upon any roadway on which traffic is restricted to one direction of movement, where the roadway is free from obstructions and of sufficient width for two (2) or more lines of moving vehicles. Violations of this section are subject to fines enumerated in § 31-41.1-4.

(b) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting the movement in safety. In no event shall the movement be made by driving off the pavement or main-traveled portion of the roadway.
History of Section.
(P.L. 1950, ch. 2595, art. 26, § 4; G.L. 1956, § 31-15-5; P.L. 1970, ch. 107, § 1; P.L. 2002, ch. 292, § 110.)

This law allows multiple lane highways to act independently of each other. As I quoted another law states you stay to the right on multiple lane highways unless you are passing. So if another driver doesn't adher to "drive on the right law" you thus have the right to pass him on the right. Of course all has to be done safely.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:25 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,056,073 times
TITLE 31
Motor and Other vehicles
CHAPTER 31-15
Passing, Use of Lanes, and Rules of the Road
SECTION 31-15-2

§ 31-15-2 Slow traffic to right. – Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway. Violations of this section are subject to fines enumerated in § 31-41.1-4.
History of Section.
(P.L. 1950, ch. 2595, art. 26, § 1; G.L. 1956, § 31-15-2; P.L. 2002, ch. 292, § 110.)

just for informational purposes. I wonder when the last time was when someone received a ticket for going too slow in a left hand lane.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:49 AM

60 posts, read 193,570 times
I'm from NY too, but from upstate/western NY (Rochester area). Most of the people who drive there are rude and impatient to say the least, just like downstate NYers. When I moved to RI, I was (and still am) flabbergasted about the way people drive here. And I have to say first of all, I definitely don't think RIers drive like people from Mass who are more like NYers--rude and crude. But here is what I've observed while residing here for the past 6 months:

RIers are for the most part, laid back drivers, almost to the point that they're oblivious. They drive under the speed limit except on the highways. I rarely see one get upset. I live on the top floor of an apartment building and love to watch people (I know, crazy, but I do it when I'm bored and it's very entertaining). I see people often cruising along and stopping dead in the street to let someone else pull out, regardless of the direction this person is coming from. Often when I'm making a left hand turn, the driver coming toward me from the other direction will stop and either flash their lights at me (meaning go ahead, I gather) or they'll wave me on to turn in front of them. I, being a nasty NY driver, sometime forget this courtesy and sometimes get beeped at (I am working on that). Yesterday I saw a lines of cars on both sides of the street stop and let someone back out of their driveway. I rarely see a RIer tailgate someone. I DO see them go through red lights though. Why? Because the traffic light structure in this state is abysmal. There is no rhyme or reason as to how the lights are timed. Lights will change and there is no traffic coming from the through street and you end up sitting there forever, only to encounter another red light 500 feet down the road. It's nuts! Alternatively, people will pull out in front of me even when there is no one behind me. Then they'll go slow--they're oblivious.

Drivers here also don't know how to use signal lights very well. When we first moved here and I went to the DMV (which is SO much fun--NOT) I got the drivers manual out just to see if that was a requisite for driving--it is. It certainly isn't evident when you're driving around in RI.

People from Mass, on the other hand, always seem to be in a hurry. They don't let you in, they tailgate, and generally drive like NYers, except they aren't as good at it.

I do find RIers endearing and sometimes I have to remind myself to be nice while I'm driving...like most of the other drivers on the road. This is indeed a rarity anywhere I've ever driven.

One thing I've been asking that I can't seem to get an answer to is whether or not cell phone usage while driving is legal here. I hate to talk on mine when I'm driving but it seems everyone else around here does it and I've seen people do it right in front of cops, so I'm thinking it's ok.

And one more unnerving thing I've found about New Englanders in general: they don't know how to put a shopping cart away to save their lives. And the stores aren't really good about going out to get them either! I went to Stop N Shop early this morning and most of their carts were already out scattered around the parking lot!

Of course, I finally figured out why RIers think everything is so far away. It's because it takes so dang long to get anywhere. I live 2 miles away from work but it takes me at least 15 minutes to get there because I have to stop for so many traffic lights.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:59 AM

53 posts, read 54,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normlpepl View Post
im sorry as someone who learned to drive like a cab driver in nyc...(yes i know douchebag nyer) but seriously is it me or does everyone obey the exact speed limit...i wont even get started with boston and no i don't care for sports so don't put that to me but why is it people take a good three minutes to make a turn at a light when there is no traffic...like for some reason i honked and the guy like turned and looked at me like i said something really messed up. Though i still love providence because in truth its not boston or nyc (im very satisfied with that yes their maybe some issues here and their but truthfully i enjoy it for all what its worth....but seriously you guys need to refresh those driving skills
well i am a 16 year old local track female race car driver and honestly i hate driving on busy roads with inconsiderate morons who caint drive. Like some things that bother me are
1.not using ur turn signal then making a sudden turn.
2.speeding up and slowing down to stay at or right below the posted speed
3.taking forever when turning.
4. Flipping me off when i pass u
5. This one is for all those who think that they actually have a chance winning a race against me when the light turns green
*middle finger* cuz i just left u b*tch!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the language but seriously
hit the gas or get it in the A$$

<---ME BTW LOL AND BRO

Old 04-08-2011, 11:25 AM

149 posts, read 262,268 times
As a 16 year old I'd advise you not to post pics if yourself on local threads with personal info being a minor.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:08 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,298 times
One thing I will say about Rhode Island drivers (at least around Providence) is they do not seem to comprehend the concept of someone making a left not having the right of way. If I am making a left, the person making a right sits there and wonders why I am waiting to turn.

Conversely, if I am about to make a right, and someone else is trying to make a left, they often plow right through without even looking.

Not safe.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:03 PM

9,293 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Being from out of state, I have often wondered at the concept of The Rhode Island Left. They consider that whoever gets into the turn first has the right of way, rather than yielding to oncoming traffic as in other states. Be prepared for drivers making fast, dangerous, turns in front of you.

My theory is that this has to do with all the narrow, barely 2 lane, roadways. There are few left turn lanes, much less protected lefts as in larger states.

One thing I do appreciate here is consideration for pedestrians and the often courteous driving. The cars with the MA and the NY plates really stand out for rudeness and speeding.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:45 AM

38 posts, read 75,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalamam311 View Post
As a 16 year old I'd advise you not to post pics if yourself on local threads with personal info being a minor.
Uhh yeah seriosuly....

Old 04-22-2011, 07:48 AM

20 posts, read 55,999 times
originally from CT and been living here in RI for about 3 yrs now.
i agree, everytime i see a Rude driver, they're sporting a NY or MA plate.
they are normally the ones who are impatient and who will HONK on you for doing a full stop on a Pedestrian lane ( to allow the pedestrian to cross, obviously).

Probably, the "fast paced" lifestyle of downtown NY and MA reflects their driving skills.

@Normlpepl going back to your original post..i have a question.
if the driver in front of you, who according to you was allegedly SLOW in making THAT turn encounter an accident ( thanks to your honking!).
is your insurance company going to pay for the damages???? Exactly.
so LEAVE early next time.. that way you won't be driving like there's a stick stuck in your azz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island