Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 11:18 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times

Advertisements

Most all are open. This is list the of closures...

Rhode Island Department of Health - Beach Monitoring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 03:08 PM

5,217 posts, read 6,147,251 times
Mostly all my family has gotten their power back except the ones in North Smithfield.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:36 PM

10,107 posts, read 14,972,719 times
I'm in Connecticut and got power around 5ish PM today. Didn't know what it was like to live with power since 5AM Sunday.

Ouch!!!

Surprisingly, I was beginning to get used to living without power. Today I took an icy cold shower as if it was nothing. Amazing what the body is capable of adapting to. LOL.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:51 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMarley View Post
Emily, is half the state of RI, without power? I see you're writing from SC, how did NC fare from Irene? Bad? Not too bad? How did the Outer Banks and areas like Wilmington do? Are people getting their electricity okay?
Did many people get hurt?
Things are quite bad in many towns in southern New England, CT included. I think they said that almost 600,000 people lost their power, but there's still towns in CT that are 100% without power and won't get it restored for a whole week.
And it's still in the 80s here, so it's not that fun, having no fan or anything, I hate it for people out in the country, like Bolton, Coventry, and Marlborough, who are on well water... that wud be bad...
Dana - We didn't get anything here really -- just a couple of downpour type showers and a few hours of wind. Then it let up and the sun came out but I'm more than a three hour drive farther S (and a little west because the SC coast is sort of on a diagonal) than N. Myrtle Beach SC and the Outer Banks in NC which didn't fare so well. I don't know the extent of the damage but the Outerbanks,NC are old pros at dealing with hurricanes their location is so vulnerable to them.

In fact the Outer Banks NC is to hurricanes as Worcester, MA is to snow storms. Worcester gets snow if NH and VT are getting it or if Springfield is getting it or if it is forecast in Providence.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:54 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMarley View Post
You cannot post any complaints on the forum about loss of power in CT or you'll be flamed instantly... the mods just shut down a thread about a girl complaining about having no lights or power...
WHY is it taking CT so long to get things started to get stuff fixed? We're not in the middle of nowhere....

Oh, I wud definitely miss the refrig, cuz all our food is coming from there..

This really makes me think though, I need to get stocked up on a 3 week supply of non-perishable food, just in case!
Yeah. I think it is a good idea. Check the Survivalists thread. They have a lot of good ideas. A few of them live totally off grid.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:29 PM

564 posts, read 1,880,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Yeah. I think it is a good idea. Check the Survivalists thread. They have a lot of good ideas. A few of them live totally off grid.

Where's that thread hiding?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island