Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 06:00 PM

9 posts, read 23,592 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are considering moving to several different cities in the Northeast. We are planning to take a trip, but unfortunately we won't have very much time in each city, so we want to make the most of making sure we see the right things to decide if the city fits us.

We would appreciate any advice people could give about what are the important areas or places to see in Providence, not as tourists but as people thinking about moving there.

Some info about us..

We are a lesbian couple, late 20's, both with MA degrees but both thinking about new careers (her library science, me public policy/ women's/LGBT nonprofit work)
We don't have and aren't planning on kids for awhile, so we're not worried about available schools, etc.
We like living in the city rather than the outskirts/suburbs - being able to walk to stores, etc. would be ideal
We can handle cold weather and snow
We like outdoor opportunities to go hiking, biking, canoeing, etc.
We are looking to rent a 1-2 bedroom apartment or small house, probably can't afford anything over $1000/month - are there nice neighborhoods in the city for this rate?
We have a 50-pound dog so specific neighborhoods that might be more dog-friendly are welcome

We'd like to get a feel for the culture of the city - where do young professionals hang out? What are the most popular areas in town that locals return to, that are worth seeing before we decide? What are the social "hubs" of the city?
Are there any major dislikes you have about living there? Anything we should see firsthand that might make us NOT want to live there?

Basically, we don't want to drive around aimlessly once we get in town.. but we also don't want to follow a tourist guidebook because that doesn't give the same feel as actually living there.

I have and will be reading older threads to get information as well, but any new advice would be awesome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 06:29 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalrainbow View Post
My partner and I are considering moving to several different cities in the Northeast. We are planning to take a trip, but unfortunately we won't have very much time in each city, so we want to make the most of making sure we see the right things to decide if the city fits us.

We would appreciate any advice people could give about what are the important areas or places to see in Providence, not as tourists but as people thinking about moving there.

Some info about us..

We are a lesbian couple, late 20's, both with MA degrees but both thinking about new careers (her library science, me public policy/ women's/LGBT nonprofit work)
We don't have and aren't planning on kids for awhile, so we're not worried about available schools, etc.
We like living in the city rather than the outskirts/suburbs - being able to walk to stores, etc. would be ideal
We can handle cold weather and snow
We like outdoor opportunities to go hiking, biking, canoeing, etc.
We are looking to rent a 1-2 bedroom apartment or small house, probably can't afford anything over $1000/month - are there nice neighborhoods in the city for this rate?
We have a 50-pound dog so specific neighborhoods that might be more dog-friendly are welcome

We'd like to get a feel for the culture of the city - where do young professionals hang out? What are the most popular areas in town that locals return to, that are worth seeing before we decide? What are the social "hubs" of the city?
Are there any major dislikes you have about living there? Anything we should see firsthand that might make us NOT want to live there?

Basically, we don't want to drive around aimlessly once we get in town.. but we also don't want to follow a tourist guidebook because that doesn't give the same feel as actually living there.

I have and will be reading older threads to get information as well, but any new advice would be awesome. Thanks!

As a frame of reference, please tell us where you are coming from, and where have you lived that you liked the best. One item on your list that will be a problem is renting with a 50 lb. dog (breed matters too), in most decent apartment complexes or private multi family dwellings. A good 2 BR apt will be in the $1000 to $1300 rent range plus a monthly fee for the pet.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:38 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,855 times
The city is small enough that you can sight-see a lot without spending too much time here. Since your budget is limited, I wouldn't spend too much time in the Boston area. If you are looking to relocate because you prefer a more progressive area, then Providence might be just right for you.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:11 AM

5 posts, read 9,383 times
Default try this.

on the weekendsm go to elmwood ave & broad st, you will get the flavor you seek,lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island