Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 08:38 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times

Advertisements

See title. I'm 19 right now thinking about moving out of NY. My parents are both originally New Englanders and I'm from CT as well. However, I've never been to Rhode Island. Are there any good areas for young people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 05:38 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
The East Side of Providence has a high concentration of college students from a number of different colleges.
It is also a walkable district with many amenities.

What's your budget? RI is cheaper than NYC but it is not an inexpensive place to live.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
The East Side of Providence has a high concentration of college students from a number of different colleges.
It is also a walkable district with many amenities.

What's your budget? RI is cheaper than NYC but it is not an inexpensive place to live.
Yeah, my cousin's girlfriend went to college in RI and had nothing but great things to say about it.

Budget would be somewhere around $900 per month for a studio. Is that too cheap?

Old 07-03-2012, 08:28 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Yeah, my cousin's girlfriend went to college in RI and had nothing but great things to say about it.

Budget would be somewhere around $900 per month for a studio. Is that too cheap?
You could find a studio or a 1 bedroom in that price range. It's harder to find studios and 1 bedrooms in general in Providence vs. NYC, but the rental market isn't nearly as tight or competitive. My main concern with moving to Providence would be finding a job. The unemployment rate in RI is high and as a smaller city there are fewer opportunities. Don't get me wrong, I love it here, but I ended up moving to a suburb of Boston first because it was easier to find a job. I stayed at the position for a while, looked for work in RI. Once I found a job in RI, I commuted and then finally moved here.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
You could find a studio or a 1 bedroom in that price range. It's harder to find studios and 1 bedrooms in general in Providence vs. NYC, but the rental market isn't nearly as tight or competitive. My main concern with moving to Providence would be finding a job. The unemployment rate in RI is high and as a smaller city there are fewer opportunities. Don't get me wrong, I love it here, but I ended up moving to a suburb of Boston first because it was easier to find a job. I stayed at the position for a while, looked for work in RI. Once I found a job in RI, I commuted and then finally moved here.
Ah ok. I actually work from home right now so the job thing may not be of a concern to me.

Are there any high rise apartments in Providence or is the city not that urban?

Old 07-03-2012, 06:37 PM

688 posts, read 2,135,144 times
Very few high rises. I doubt you'll get into any of those with your budget. You seem like a mobile young guy so the job market might not be a big concern at this point. I'd think twice before leaving for RI though. It's not for everybody.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSpy View Post
Very few high rises. I doubt you'll get into any of those with your budget. You seem like a mobile young guy so the job market might not be a big concern at this point. I'd think twice before leaving for RI though. It's not for everybody.
Why's it not for everybody? The only downside I've heard about RI is that it has a lot more retirees than NY does.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Why's it not for everybody? The only downside I've heard about RI is that it has a lot more retirees than NY does.
Hey now, don't knock the old folks. It's difficult to describe why Rhode Island is not for everybody. It's quirky, but not necessarily all in a good way. Difficult state to break into and call your home as a stranger, it'll take time, patience and a lot of effort on the stranger's part to become aware of the customs and unwritten rules. There are infrastructure problems like everywhere else in the U.S., but they seem to be quite complex in RI. The unemployment is a concern as well as the percentage of folks on SSI. It's not all bad, but like I said, not for everybody. Choose wisely.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:54 AM

Not knocking the old folks at all. The only reason I said it's a downside for me is because I'm young and obviously want to be in a younger crowd. I see what you mean though. I hear RI is very different than other New England states.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:05 AM

Well, there are plenty young people to go around if you stick to the East Side of Providence. That won't be a concern. Good luck, wherever you end up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: