Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 05:46 AM

2 posts, read 11,295 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are moving to Providence and are trying to figure out where to live. I've seen some threads but nothing is specific enough. I've heard that Federal Hill can be hit or miss in terms of the streets one lives on and I wanted to know if anyone had a good idea of which streets are the safer/cooler ones. I work from home but also like to frequent cafes and eat out, and I like things to be walking distance (6 minutes is too long) ;-)

I found something on Africa St., another place on Penn St. about a block from the Ridge Street playground, another on Broadway closer to Vinton, and one on Vinton. Any advice on these streets? What about America st.?

I'm away and trying to narrow down my choices, so it would be very helpful if I could get a sense of the neighborhood and the better streets in Federal Hill.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 08:10 AM

171 posts, read 308,772 times
I have a friend that lives in that neighborhood so I reached out to him for advice. If you want walking distance to cafes and restaurants, then the places on Africa, America, and Vinton Streets (plus Broadway) are probably more up your alley as they are closer to the shops on Broadway and Atwells Avenue. The neighborhood is a little rough but low crime, with Broadway, Africa St, America St, and Vinton St being more gentrified that Penn St. It is also hit or miss depending on the block. Check out Kenyon, Courtland, and Almy Streets as well.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:09 AM

2 posts, read 11,295 times
Hopestreet,

Thanks for your last post and sorry it's taken a few days to acknowledge it. We're really loving a place on Courtland and Broadway, but are now just concerned about the neighborhood and how safe it is. We will be on the 2nd floor, but we're wondering how safe it is to walk at night, lets say to/from restaurants. The other neighborhood we are looking at is Wayland Square, but places there are more expensive and we haven't found anything as good yet. Is there a vast difference between these two neighborhoods? Would we be sacrificing a lot to live in Federal Hill vs. Wayland Square? We will both be commuting to Massachusetts for work, so I'm wondering if distance to highway is an issue. Providence is small, but I don't know how bad traffic is getting out of Wayland Square in the morning.

Any other details would be great.

Thanks so much.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:29 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,894,337 times
http://www.providenceri.com/police/crime-map

You can check this for current info or by dates as needed.

To get from Wayland Square to the freeway you'd go to the entrance to 195 (195 to 95) at the end of Gano St in the morning would probably take 5-8 min.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:41 AM

986 posts, read 2,333,739 times
I used to live on the eastern end of Federal Hill near the intersection of Dean and Federal Streets. I found it to be safe (though my neighbor's car had the window smashed in one night, nothing stolen... because of where his car was parked, it seemed as though he was specifically targeted).

I'm, personally, a MUCH bigger fan of Federal Hill than Wayland Square, but I prefer neighborhoods that are a bit more rough around the edges. There's a great community of people on the Hill and in the whole west side in general.

Safety wise, the areas closer to downtown are probably safer, but what HopeStreet said is pretty accurate. I'd probably avoid Penn St. Look at Federal Street as well.

As for traffic, you're probably gonna have a more difficult time getting out of Wayland Sq than Federal Hill. 195 to 95 will be crazy backed up, while getting on 95 from the Hill will be backed up, but it will break up sooner (it generally breaks up after 146, exit 23).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island