Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 05:45 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
It pains me to disagree with the esteemed Hollytree, and it rarely happens, but on this one, I do disagree -- strongly. Your description is accurate.

Manhattan (though far more so in Bklyn), hipsters are everywhere. I ask you, do these folks look like "a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter"?

And I would ask Holly: have you spend any time talking to hipsters? Do you personally know many?
So funny! The midwestern term, "All hat, no cattle" comes to mind. Hipsters seem not to amount to as much as the more authentic
counter culture rebels of the past. Are their conversations interesting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 09:37 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
So funny! The midwestern term, "All hat, no cattle" comes to mind. Hipsters seem not to amount to as much as the more authentic
counter culture rebels of the past. Are their conversations interesting?
Now THAT is an expression I am going to blatantly steal and use

Old 11-22-2013, 09:49 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
In other words, immature, self centered liberal elitist types who need desperatley to be seen as part of "the scene" and who aren't yet old enough to know any better. Alfie, I think you and I finally agree on something!
Actually a lot of them are also "libertarians". And some are gay people who are social liberals and smoke weed and like to philosophize, but think they're Republicans. Oh wait, kind of the same thing!

Old 11-22-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Now THAT is an expression I am going to blatantly steal and use
You'd really never heard it? haha

Old 11-22-2013, 12:10 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Alfie: And I would ask Holly: have you spend any time talking to hipsters? Do you personally know many?

Honey, I WAS once tragically hip.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:11 PM

Still are haha

Old 11-22-2013, 01:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,145 times
Question Can someone give me a realistic dl on Rhode Island's way of living?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
People who value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter "are immature, self centered liberal elitist types who need desperately to be seen as part of "the scene" and who aren't yet old enough to know any better". Rolls eyes.....
I'm old. I'm a disabled college professor who must now live on social security--wait: that's an oxymoron. You can't live on SSD. I taught English, which pays less than any other discipline in higher ed, and I was too old when I started to be considered for any "real" tenure-track position; they can't ask your age, but they ALWAYS ask your year of high school graduation. I got relegated to visiting lines, adjuncting, and teaching at a Mississippi college that should be burnt and salt sown where it stood. No chance for benefits, retirement, or a portfolio (other than the ones I kept my students' papers in).

SOOO . . . I am looking for an affordable mobile home park that I can call home. If RI is as progressive as it sounds, I'd be interested. Hipster? Never thought of myself as such. I'm a grossly underpaid intellectual. But I still have a body, and it needs a progressive place to live. Right now, I'm in the South, where I was born, and which I disown. The US should pull out of the South. ASAP. If we wait another couple of weeks, it'll probably secede.

IF Rhode Island offers any sort of affordable haven for intellectuals, free thinkers, artisans, and musicians--let alone writers--well, I can put up with snow drifts.

Might I request any comments that might further my understanding of Rhode Island's way of being? I need info. I can skip the culture clashes as long as I find out what I need to know. Mobile home parks that allow pets and are restricted to 55+--with affordable homes and monthly rates--are fine for me.

But I do agree that Jack K wasn't writing. He was typing. We could've taken him on a road trip from Memphis to Helena, Arkansas, which is about 50 miles, and scared the hell out of him. And, mind you, we were the "nice band." But our pranks and practical jokes would have had old Jack begging to de-van at a 75-year-old Pure station on Highway 61. We raised more hell at high school proms than ever did Jack K "On the Road."

Any useful info will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old Doc Al

Old 11-22-2013, 02:12 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times
[

"IF Rhode Island offers any sort of affordable haven for intellectuals, free thinkers, artisans, and musicians--let alone writers--well, I can put up with snow drifts."

Well Old Doc Al, Rhode Island can certainly offer an affordable haven for all the categories of people you mention, but probably not in trailer parks. Do intellectuals live in trailer parks anywhere??

Rather, you might try small rural cottages or apartments in our urban neighborhoods. As everywhere, "affordable" comes with its challenges in Rhode Island. But, other than the weather, Rhode Island can be a good place for seniors of all intellectual bents to live.

Last edited by independent man; 11-22-2013 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: Add quotation marks

Old 11-22-2013, 02:49 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Still are haha
That's what I'm thinking...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Old 11-22-2013, 03:53 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeseeker63 View Post
I'm old. I'm a disabled college professor who must now live on social security--wait: that's an oxymoron. You can't live on SSD. I taught English, which pays less than any other discipline in higher ed, and I was too old when I started to be considered for any "real" tenure-track position; they can't ask your age, but they ALWAYS ask your year of high school graduation. I got relegated to visiting lines, adjuncting, and teaching at a Mississippi college that should be burnt and salt sown where it stood. No chance for benefits, retirement, or a portfolio (other than the ones I kept my students' papers in).

SOOO . . . I am looking for an affordable mobile home park that I can call home. If RI is as progressive as it sounds, I'd be interested. Hipster? Never thought of myself as such. I'm a grossly underpaid intellectual. But I still have a body, and it needs a progressive place to live. Right now, I'm in the South, where I was born, and which I disown. The US should pull out of the South. ASAP. If we wait another couple of weeks, it'll probably secede.

IF Rhode Island offers any sort of affordable haven for intellectuals, free thinkers, artisans, and musicians--let alone writers--well, I can put up with snow drifts.

Might I request any comments that might further my understanding of Rhode Island's way of being? I need info. I can skip the culture clashes as long as I find out what I need to know. Mobile home parks that allow pets and are restricted to 55+--with affordable homes and monthly rates--are fine for me.

But I do agree that Jack K wasn't writing. He was typing. We could've taken him on a road trip from Memphis to Helena, Arkansas, which is about 50 miles, and scared the hell out of him. And, mind you, we were the "nice band." But our pranks and practical jokes would have had old Jack begging to de-van at a 75-year-old Pure station on Highway 61. We raised more hell at high school proms than ever did Jack K "On the Road."

Any useful info will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old Doc Al
Being older at least opens you up for HUD subsidized and 55+ communities. There is also this- unfortunately they don't have current openings.
Sandywoods Farm About Us
But there is also country view estates in Tiverton (not far from Newport!)- New Price! Best Value Ever! NICE 55+ Communities- Countryview Estates! Tiverton, RI | Lori Nery Coastal Realty

Look at RILiving.com under Tiverton, the first places that come up will be mobiles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island