Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 07:38 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,298 times

Advertisements

McGrory, a daughter of Irish Boston, squinted at my press badge and saw that I was a Providence Journal reporter. ``I was very sad to see such a good independent New England newspaper sold to Dallas,’’ she said. “ ….with Texans, you just never know.’’

While Belo put out a fine newspaper in Dallas, the political and social cultures of Texas, that Stetson-wearing reddest of states, and Rhode Island, an Oxford button down New England redoubt where politics are a deep blue as Narragansett Bay on a sunny July Afternoon, were never a great fit.

And when the newspaper business hit the skids, it was inevitable that the Texas overseers were going to protect what they had in Dallas at the expense of the newspapers it owned in California and Rhode Island.

Executives in Dallas blamed the lingering recession in southeastern New England for the Journal’s financial foundering. But a newspaper that survived the Great Depression had much higher hurdles in the 21st Century.

In the end, the Providence Journal, which thrived from the Civil War to the Iraq War, in good and bad economies, hurricanes and nor’easters, met its match in absentee ownership and competition from the Internet .

Providence Journal, we knew ye well | Rhode Island Public Radio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 11:52 AM

5,217 posts, read 6,147,251 times
Wow, times have changed...............hard subscriptions down and now pay for news on the internet..............which in my opinion is either taken off the wires or articles whipped up quick by bloggist who lack the who, what, where, when and why of reporting. Does anyone do investigative reporting anymore?

As a young boy......you were always hoping to snatch the paper route for your neighborhood. I remember my Providence Journal paper bag delivering the Evening Bulletins many years ago on my bicycle

I really looked forward to those end of year Christmas tips

Old 12-08-2013, 05:45 AM

Reading the editorial in the Projo online edition about the possible sale.........makes me wonder in this day and age with the actual hard copies of papers continuing to to go down each year.........do we really need a hard copy newspaper. I grew up with them, but the generations coming up behind me with their pocket computers (smart phones) don't really find a need for them (my opinion).

Like I had mentioned in the above post, I really believe true investigative reporting is pretty much dead......headlines with snippets are the future.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:32 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I grew up with them, but the generations coming up behind me with their pocket computers (smart phones) don't really find a need for them (my opinion).

Like I had mentioned in the above post, I really believe true investigative reporting is pretty much dead......headlines with snippets are the future.
It will come at a huge loss. We have already seen it such as with the dumbing down of the electorate.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:28 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
I'm not sure who would even buy it. The vast majority of major newspapers in the country have lost so much advertising revenue to the internet that it is predicted there will only be about 5 print newspapers in the country within the decade.

I've kind of considered the Projo mostly dead since it was bought by BeLo anyway. It went from a Pulitzer prize winning paper to a few steps above a rag.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:46 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,298 times
Whoever does buy it is going to have to transform it in order to usher it into the multimedia era. Can it be done? Probably. But a daunting task to say the very least.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:17 AM

I wonder if the NYT would consider becoming a regional paper. They could start having New England reporters and cover the New England region in various site specific editions. This is what the old ProJo used to do. It covered the state and parts of MA with regional editions.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:26 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,458,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I wonder if the NYT would consider becoming a regional paper. They could start having New England reporters and cover the New England region in various site specific editions. This is what the old ProJo used to do. It covered the state and parts of MA with regional editions.
The answer is an affirmative "no." In fact, the opposite is true. The paper decided a couple of years ago to become a national paper. One major complaint that many New Yorkers have about the NYT is that it barely covers NYC!

I subscribe to the digital NYT and have read The Times since I was 19. It's really dumbed-down over the years and I often roll my eyes at some of the absurdities that the paper runs. I also have a digital subscription to the Washington Post, which I may drop: the paper, under the so-called editorial "leadership" of Fred Hiatt, has become a haven for right wing nut jobs, like Charles "Hasn't Got A Leg To Stand On" Krauthammer, Gerson, Rubin, Samuelson, Cohen, and the truly odious George Will. And let's not forget: The Post supported both the invasion and occupation of Iraq.

I'm very sorry that the Providence Journal's future is in jeopardy, not that I read it, but because every city needs a local paper.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:29 AM

It may sound goofy but I really believe we will see the phasing out of newspapers as we now know in the near future.

Not to long ago Newspapers were a force to be reckoned with...........they could make or break someone as far as politics or their lives go.

I thought that Americans cutting the cable cord was going to be a slow process.............but that is starting to pick up steam.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:34 AM

That's disappointing. I read the East Side Monthly for really local news and the Providence Phoenix but what about larger stories? We certainly can't rely on the "local news" TV stations for local news. All they cover is cooking and fires. And sometimes a cooking fire- tee hee hee.

I think one danger is that a paper like the ProJo would be bought by an extremely politically slanted billionaire and used exclusively for propaganda purposes with zero sense of objectivity. Someone who could operate without ad revenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island