Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 06:16 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandsonik
Maybe not in the primaries, because conservative Republicans believe a surplus is evidence of overtaxation. It's money you took out of their pockets without cause. I'm sure he'll speak about it more glowingly should he make the general. I know when I was home shopping in 2007, Cranston properties were way, way over assessed, but to be fair that was pre-Fung, and maybe they are more reasonable now.
Uh? Not really. That is actually a fairly modest surplus ($500,000 out of what is probably like a $200m total budget). It is impossible to balance it out to zero a year in advance, so ideally a fiscal year will be ended going slightly over. That money becomes "free cash" which has restrictions on how it can be used. Fung did not "overtax" (in most places it is illegal to "budget a surplus"), the year just went a little better than was originally predicted. If it ended in let's say a $10m surplus then yes that would raise eyebrows. But $500,000? Don't think so, that is pretty tight. I don't thing either political party would fault his management of the budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 07:21 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,298 times
However, our Rainy Day fund is in the millions. I have to admit, Fung has been a good fiscal steward. Still won't vote for a Republican for Governor though.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:06 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
However, our Rainy Day fund is in the millions. I have to admit, Fung has been a good fiscal steward. Still won't vote for a Republican for Governor though.

Well, then, just have at it ! vote again for the irresponsible Democratic politicians who, you remember: "raided the pension funds" because RI'ers don't vote with their head for fiscal responsibility. They moan and groan about fiscal irresponsibility, yet keep pulling the Dem lever. The definition of insanity as you know: is repeating the same mistake over and over and expecting a different result.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:50 AM

I won't vote for him because once he gains statewide office he's bound to change as many of them invariably do. But before Chafee we were already in a mess with Carcieri who was a Republican so.....

Old 12-16-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I won't vote for him because once he gains statewide office he's bound to change as many of them invariably do. But before Chafee we were already in a mess with Carcieri who was a Republican so.....

Translation: Democrats never change.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:35 AM

Au contraire, I have actually voted for a couple of Republicans before. I voted for Republicans for Attorney General and Treasurer and Secretary of State since I've lived here. (I always vote against Mollis in the primary as well.)

Perhaps it's possible you and I just genuinely disagree?

Old 12-16-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Au contraire, I have actually voted for a couple of Republicans before. I voted for Republicans for Attorney General and Treasurer and Secretary of State since I've lived here. (I always vote against Mollis in the primary as well.)

Perhaps it's possible you and I just genuinely disagree?
That would be: consistently. But I appreciate the confession.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:59 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Confession?

definition: "A confession is a statement made by a person or a group of people acknowledging some personal fact that the person (or the group) would prefer to keep hidden. The term is generally associated with an admission of a moral or legal wrong."

Old 12-16-2013, 11:00 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,458,099 times
Quote:
...our Republican Mayor will be boasting about his high tax collection rates when he's running in his party's Primary for Governor.

$500,000 surplus projected for city - Cranston Herald
Even though a $500k surplus isn't a lot of money, it's in a symbolic sense good news for Fung, especially given the well-deserved Republican Party's reputation as being just God awful managers and incapable of running a government.

Poor Fung. He may very well be a nice guy, but he's a Republican and when a Republican runs at a state level, the kooky elements of national Republican Party inevitably push their candidates to the extremist right. That's when the tinfoil brigades like The club for Growth take over -- the big money guys who seem hellbent on destroying the GOP in the Northeast.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Confession?

definition: "A confession is a statement made by a person or a group of people acknowledging some personal fact that the person (or the group) would prefer to keep hidden. The term is generally associated with an admission of a moral or legal wrong."
Yeah not a confession at all. The Attorney General candidate I voted for was Harwich (I think?) back in 2006. A former Carter Admin fellow and in some ways to the left of Kilmartin who's in there now. (Democrat). I proudly voted for Sue Stenhouse for Secretary of State as she seemed sane and was running against Mollis. (Ahem, not a fan.) I also voted for the Republican last time. (Her name escapes me at the moment.)

There are a small handful of Republicans in Rhode Island who are actually more reasonable than some Democrats, but they tend to be to the left!

Fung was against the recent gun raffle idea that the Local GOP concocted by the way. (As were many other local Republicans.) I just could not trust him as Governor because Republican ideas work better on the very local level, or in ancillary-type offices, and this only applies to solidly blue states where there are still some reasonable ones left.

Last edited by Rnrboy; 12-16-2013 at 11:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island