Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 01:23 PM

3,799 posts, read 2,698,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I'll take following the rules of the road if we're arguing safety.
Nice strawman. I advocate following the rules too. Are you driving the speed limit when you get impatient on 146?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 01:33 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Nice strawman. I advocate following the rules too. Are you driving the speed limit when you get impatient on 146?

You're the one presenting the strawman, i.e. slow and courteous vs fast and aggressive. One can do both and follow the rules of the road. There isn't anything inherently aggressive by moving with the flow of the traffic, something like parking in the left lane when NOT passing is very aggressive, and very unsafe. As is stopping to wave on someone that doesn't have the right of way.

I'm not impatient on 146. I'm driving as we were taught, following the rules of the road, only using the passing lane to pass, and keeping with the flow of traffic, and not doing anything unsafe while pretending it is out of being "courteous".

I suspect you drive like you debate, with an extreme sense of self importance and passive aggressiveness. I.e., you're probably a very dangerous driver.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:39 PM

23,575 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Yparking in the left lane when NOT passing is very aggressive, and very unsafe.
That happens frequently on certain roads in MA as well. Roads like Rte. 9, Rte. 2, 290, the Pike extension...

Old 04-25-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
That happens frequently on certain roads in MA as well. Roads like Rte. 9, Rte. 2, 290, the Pike extension...

It happens on any road that is two lanes each way where there are lots of exits/on ramps, but in some places it is worse than others.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
You're the one presenting the strawman, i.e. slow and courteous vs fast and aggressive.
Well, I disagree with you. Perhaps I presented a false dichotomy, but not a strawman. You presented a strawman.

I never said parking in the left hand lane was good practice, and in fact said I found it irritating. I agree that it is a passing lane. Where I am from, the state has signs which specify that the left lane is for passing only. That's the way I was taught to drive, like you, and that's the way I drive when I drive. My first encounter with people who put it in the "extreme left hand lane" on 128 were from New Hampshire, and I was floored by the practice.

Quote:
There isn't anything inherently aggressive by moving with the flow of the traffic, something like parking in the left lane when NOT passing is very aggressive, and very unsafe. As is stopping to wave on someone that doesn't have the right of way.
Well, there is something inherently aggressive in moving with the flow of Mass traffic: too little space between vehicles, at too fast a rate of speed. I notice you didn't answer the rate of speed question, which I guess is an answer. Again, I don't park in the left hand lane. I don't think Rhode Islanders who do are aggressive, but I do think they are negligent.

Quote:
I suspect you drive like you debate, with an extreme sense of self importance and passive aggressiveness. I.e., you're probably a very dangerous driver.
Kiss kiss! But you're wrong again.

I try to look out for my fellow drivers. I did grow up in a place where there are passive aggressive drivers, i.e. Oregon, where it is a terrible malady on the roads there, so I recognize it. I would not qualify Rhode Islanders as passive aggressive drivers, but rather as more negligent.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I try to look out for my fellow drivers. I did grow up in a place where there are passive aggressive drivers, i.e. Oregon, where it is a terrible malady on the roads there, so I recognize it. I would not qualify Rhode Islanders as passive aggressive drivers, but rather as more negligent.

There is that self importance shining through!

Old 04-26-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
There is that self importance shining through!
Easy there, sweetie. You accused me of driving dangerously. My response about my driving necessarily involved a self-referential statement.

In the unlikely event that you do eventually move down here, you may find that you relax a little. One thing Quilter Chick is right about is that the NE is a rat race, and it can be stressful. Rhode Island is far less so than Boston.

Last edited by ormari; 04-26-2017 at 11:37 AM..

Old 04-26-2017, 12:32 PM

I'm already living in Providence, thank you. The drivers are freaking horrible, probably because they, like you, seem to think the rules don't apply to them and they should be "courteous" and looking out for others, instead of driving properly.

And don't tell me to take it easy and I'm not your damn sweetie. I'll "relax" when and where I choose too, and passive aggressive little bleeps aren't going to affect that, certainly not for the better.

All you're doing is proving that RIs ARE rude.

Last edited by timberline742; 04-26-2017 at 12:46 PM..

Old 04-26-2017, 01:28 PM

325 posts, read 311,893 times
Quote:
I'm already living in Providence, thank you. The drivers are freaking horrible, probably because they, like you, seem to think the rules don't apply to them and they should be "courteous" and looking out for others, instead of driving properly.

And don't tell me to take it easy and I'm not your damn sweetie. I'll "relax" when and where I choose too, and passive aggressive little bleeps aren't going to affect that, certainly not for the better.

Don't waste your time brother, you're in a different world here. I think there's something in the water.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:

I do think the rules of the road apply, and I said as much. Re-read what I wrote.

Welcome to the state, I guess.

Still, you ought to relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island