Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 08:42 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times

Advertisements

I'd pick Mansfield.

Lots of rentals near the train station. One could walk. The other takes the car to Woonsocket.

MA income taxes are less than RI.

Our equivalent of across the river in NJ........would be something along the lines of Quincy.........which wouldn't work at all for a commute to Woonsocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 10:03 PM

548 posts, read 815,981 times
Having lived in both, and seeing what you say you value, I suspect you'd prefer Boston. All things being equal I would too.

A couple of thoughts related to work: peer groups, and hours

You are far more likely to have professional peers around to socialize with in Boston. An eastern Cambridge location and pay worth moving for suggests either biotech (you at CVS fits, perhaps), software, or consulting (Bain, Monitor, whatever). You'll find very little of any of those fields in PVD, and especially if spouse is in the biotech/software startup sort of world, that's a lot of crucial networking to miss out on. I would imagine a CVS corporate job is more self-contained, but there also aren't a lot of other options in the area should you ever want or need to find one. If you're a finance or health care professional, it's just a much bigger and more dynamic world in Boston.

I used to have one foot in an IT startup world in Boston, one in academic research, and I miss the intellectual energy of those days. PVD has a lot going on for its size -- which is not much bigger than Bridgeport, CT -- but it isn't a world class talent hub the way Boston or NYC are.

More practically, the train between BOS and PVD doesn't run all that frequently, especially in the evenings, and not very often on weekends. If you live in PVD and spouse needs to be at Cambridge job long hours / odd hours / short notice, that's worth considering. Reliability is also lower than NYC transit lines -- train service has been suspended altogether quite a few days during the last six weeks of severe weather.

On the other hand, your housing dollars will go a lot farther in PVD. Far enough compared to Boston to make up for the higher taxes, given that your income is the same either way. I get the sense your incomes would make Boston possible, but of course you could do bigger/better housing, or just have $$$ to put into other things living in the Providence area.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:44 PM

36 posts, read 53,811 times
Many thanks to all.

Why is the cost of owning a car in Providence much more than Boston? I would have guessed the reverse.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:47 PM

You make some good points. If I read you correctly, you are suggesting we live in Boston or Cambridge? Any particular neighborhoods you recommend?

You are also suggesting the party working at CVS drive from Boston to CVS daily, while the Cambridge party get around on the tube. Correct?

Is this daily commute feasible? How long is it during rush hour?

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neguy99 View Post
Having lived in both, and seeing what you say you value, I suspect you'd prefer Boston. All things being equal I would too.

A couple of thoughts related to work: peer groups, and hours

You are far more likely to have professional peers around to socialize with in Boston. An eastern Cambridge location and pay worth moving for suggests either biotech (you at CVS fits, perhaps), software, or consulting (Bain, Monitor, whatever). You'll find very little of any of those fields in PVD, and especially if spouse is in the biotech/software startup sort of world, that's a lot of crucial networking to miss out on. I would imagine a CVS corporate job is more self-contained, but there also aren't a lot of other options in the area should you ever want or need to find one. If you're a finance or health care professional, it's just a much bigger and more dynamic world in Boston.

I used to have one foot in an IT startup world in Boston, one in academic research, and I miss the intellectual energy of those days. PVD has a lot going on for its size -- which is not much bigger than Bridgeport, CT -- but it isn't a world class talent hub the way Boston or NYC are.

More practically, the train between BOS and PVD doesn't run all that frequently, especially in the evenings, and not very often on weekends. If you live in PVD and spouse needs to be at Cambridge job long hours / odd hours / short notice, that's worth considering. Reliability is also lower than NYC transit lines -- train service has been suspended altogether quite a few days during the last six weeks of severe weather.

On the other hand, your housing dollars will go a lot farther in PVD. Far enough compared to Boston to make up for the higher taxes, given that your income is the same either way. I get the sense your incomes would make Boston possible, but of course you could do bigger/better housing, or just have $$$ to put into other things living in the Providence area.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:47 PM

4,378 posts, read 3,184,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neguy99 View Post

And I have to point out that service is worse on the Franklin line than the Providence line. On the Providence line you get seven trains from 5 pm to 11:59 for those nights when you have to work late or have something in the city. On the Franklin line you get two fewer trains. Same thing in the morning - Providence has four trains that will get you to Providence by 9 and Franklin only has 2. Anytime I've tried to take that train, Providence has always been the better option. A Franklin train ride to Boston is only a few minutes shorter than a Providence one and the drives to Woonsocket are comparable. With that in mind, I think Providence should be considered before Franklin, as I think you'll find Franklin too sleepy. Also, the OP said they would like to do this with one car, where one person rides the train and one commutes. Going without a car in Franklin is going to be impossible, whereas in Providence there are places within walking distance of the train, and the bus hub is also nearby.

I tend to agree that Sharon/Mansfield/Stoughton/Norwood area is a good halfway point, but I'm not sure if those towns are going to make you happy or be close enough to the city. Actually, I would look at Quincy too - it's right on the red line for the Cambridge commuter (the subway, much cheaper than the commuter rail and no line changes) and maybe a 50-60 minute drive for the Woonsocket driver. I think of Quincy as the southern edge of metro Boston and I think it will be closer to what you're used to.

PS - Quincy is waterfront, and you can also travel to Boston via ferry

Last edited by sandsonik; 03-07-2015 at 12:08 AM..

Old 03-07-2015, 04:25 AM

8,065 posts, read 4,684,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovenycandtheusa View Post
Many thanks to all.

Why is the cost of owning a car in Providence much more than Boston? I would have guessed the reverse.
The short answer to this is that the local and state governments are, for the most part, poorly run in RI. Very few checks and balances. 39 cities and towns with 39 local governments to feed with taxes. Almost all types of auto and property taxes are higher in RI than Mass. PVD, despite being a wonderful small city, has been plagued by, at best, inept leadership for decades. This may change, but it may not.

While taxes are higher in Mass than most other states, they tend to have the good results in quality of life, education, high paying job creation and infrastructure to show for it.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:53 AM

147 posts, read 283,812 times
Taxes are irrelevant for the person working in ri as they will pay ri taxes regardless of whether they live in ma or ri.

The drive to 1 cvs will be around one hour round trip from Cambridge and many people do this at cvs

Old 03-07-2015, 07:56 AM

You mean one hour each way or 30 minutes each way for a total of 1hr roundtrip.

If one decides tolive in Cambridge, what neighborhoods in Cambridge do you recommend?

Any pros/cons of living in Cambridge vs living in Quincy, MA

Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuhusky11 View Post
Taxes are irrelevant for the person working in ri as they will pay ri taxes

regardless of whether they live in ma or ri.

The drive to 1 cvs will be around one hour round trip from Cambridge and many people do this at cvs

Old 03-07-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post

Actually, I would look at Quincy too - it's right on the red line for the Cambridge commuter (the subway, much cheaper than the commuter rail and no line changes) and maybe a 50-60 minute drive for the Woonsocket driver. I think of Quincy as the southern edge of metro Boston and I think it will be closer to what you're used to.

PS - Quincy is waterfront, and you can also travel to Boston via ferry
Quincy being waterfront seems like a good option as waterfront living is a plus for me. However, I do not know much about the neighborhood or the cost of living in Quincy. Any knowledge on this you can share with me? Thank you!

Old 03-07-2015, 08:07 AM

3,779 posts, read 2,683,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovenycandtheusa View Post
You mean one hour each way or 30 minutes each way for a total of 1hr roundtrip.

If one decides tolive in Cambridge, what neighborhoods in Cambridge do you recommend?

Any pros/cons of living in Cambridge vs living in Quincy, MA

Thanks a lot.
From Cambridge, it's going to be one hour each way. More when traffic is bad. A three hour commute is not out of the question in extreme circumstances. One particular snow day, it took me 7 1/2 hours. But that was an outlier.

If the commute weren't a factor, Cambridge over Quincy. Considering the commute to Woonsocket, it would be hard for me to recommend Cambridge.

Boston's not really a big city like NYC. Quincy has the Bay. Cambridge is closer to Boston, has Harvard & its museums, MIT, places to see music, more restaurants, and the Charles river esplanade.

NEguy is kind of right about the intellectual milieu of Cambridge vs. Providence, but I'm not sure I'd throw Quincy into the mix if that's important to you... Quincy is a fine, blue collar town. But lots of folks are moving in as they search for something affordable in greater Boston. There is not too much that is affordable, even on a professional salary. Unless you like being house poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island