Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 11:51 AM

3,820 posts, read 2,701,868 times

Advertisements

Working people with weekday full time jobs have a tendency to try to get all their errands done on Saturday and Sunday. I just drove from Providence down to Warwick to go to Rhode Island's only Trader Joe's, something I do maybe once per month. The traffic on Bald Hill Road in that area is regularly horrendous on the weekend, from a stretch South of the Malls down almost all the way to Inskip. I try to avoid this area, but every now and then I head down there to get to TJ's and will probably do so until they get around to locating one in Providence.

So Rhode Island drivers, what are your experiences of places in Rhode Island with high traffic congestion on the weekend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 12:29 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,788,793 times
Rte 4, hands down, from June-August.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:28 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,703,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Rte 4, hands down, from June-August.
Agree, Route 4 during beach season. While it might be thought timing would work, it doesn't. All hours packed.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:20 PM

548 posts, read 816,745 times
Funny, we got stuck in that area this afternoon too.

It took 40 minutes to drive from the Centerville Rd exit to an appointment near Trader Joe on Rt 2. Complete and total gridlock on Rt 2 and the E/W roads connecting to 95, full-fledged meltdown.

Two mile drive - 40 minutes.

Insane.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:31 AM

3,820 posts, read 2,701,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neguy99 View Post
Funny, we got stuck in that area this afternoon too.

It took 40 minutes to drive from the Centerville Rd exit to an appointment near Trader Joe on Rt 2. Complete and total gridlock on Rt 2 and the E/W roads connecting to 95, full-fledged meltdown.

Two mile drive - 40 minutes.

Insane.
It was. I think we may be spoiled in Rhode Island. If I encountered such traffic back when I lived in greater Boston, I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

Agree that Rte 4 on a weekend between June-Aug. is even worse.

Other spots in the state?

Old 03-01-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
It was. I think we may be spoiled in Rhode Island. If I encountered such traffic back when I lived in greater Boston, I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

Agree that Rte 4 on a weekend between June-Aug. is even worse.

Other spots in the state?
I-195 Westbound (not just weekends, though)

Old 03-02-2015, 06:42 AM

296 posts, read 532,739 times
The infrastructure in ri is just horrible. Its really amazing that an area of this population could have such horrible traffic but somehow the city planners managed to do it. Not to mention the poor condition of the roads. Infrastructure and quality is actually worse here than in many third world countries

Old 03-02-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_greco View Post
The infrastructure in ri is just horrible. Its really amazing that an area of this population could have such horrible traffic but somehow the city planners managed to do it. Not to mention the poor condition of the roads. Infrastructure and quality is actually worse here than in many third world countries
I would agree with that. Few places to which I have traveled have worse roads. Narrow, uneven, dangerously large pot holes. I know the weather has quite a bit to do with that, but it freezes and snows in CT, too, and the roads are better.

As high as the taxes are, one would think they would allocate more to repair. Not just dumping a bunch of hotpatch on a hole and calling it a day.

I understand they can't make roads wider, as there is only so much room left, and many of the roads are paved over trails from hundreds of years ago. But I tell ya, it sure is nice driving out here in a "new" city where just about every road is 3 or 4 lanes going each way with a turning lane in the middle. I guess when you build a city by paving over desert, you get to do it right to begin with.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:53 AM

264 posts, read 389,350 times
Rte 4 : RI :: Rte 3 : MA... all city people from Providence/Boston heading towards Newport/South Coast and the Cape.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:43 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,185,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_greco View Post
Its really amazing that an area of this population could have such horrible traffic
Our population density is the same as Metro Boston and Metro NYC. What's amazing is that our traffic is actually so much better than those places.

http://www.cara.psu.edu/people/popde...0_regional.asp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island