Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 04:54 PM

3,820 posts, read 2,701,868 times

Advertisements

I was listening to All Things Considered on NPR this evening and heard a story about google (and facebook) plans to bring internet to far flung places. Google is looking at doing this using hot air balloons. From the story:
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Things Considered
Over in another lab, engineer Christopher Schuster shows me a cube, about 2-by-2-by-2 feet, wrapped in foil. It's the part of the balloon, called the payload, that sprinkles the Internet everywhere. Its signal can cover an area the size of Rhode Island with a connection strong enough for YouTube videos.
So there it is, another use of the diminutive size of our state as a metric for visualization.

I am thinking this thread could serve as a list of the various news references describing miscellaneous things as being the size of Rhode Island. How big will this thread get?

Last edited by ormari; 03-30-2015 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: Added link to original story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 04:59 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,596,541 times
someone started a blog on this topic.
The Size Of Rhode Island

Quahog.org has a page dedicated to this.
Quahog.org: Rhode Island as a Unit of Measure

Old 03-30-2015, 05:17 PM

I hadn't seen either of those. I guess I'm late to the party, such as it is...

Well, I'll add one more anyway; it's about Clackamas County, Oregon:
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Oregonian
It all makes the race for chair of the Clackamas Board of County Commissioners crucial.
The dysfunction of the county commission -- repeatedly rebuked for failing to heed the wishes of voters -- cannot continue. It will take a leader of vision, fair play and proven consensus-building ability to reverse the fortunes of the Rhode Island-size county running from Mount Hood to Canby with Lake Oswego and Oregon City parked in-between.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:54 PM

4,417 posts, read 3,200,010 times
"BP oil spill left an oily 'bathtub ring' on the sea floor the size of Rhode Island"

" the massive wildfires in Southern California burned an area that many reports described as about the size of Rhode Island"

"Rhode Island is about the size of pieces of earth that slide off Hawaiian volcanoes every 300,000 years or so, causing massive tidal waves from California to Australia."

"The New York Times also told us in February that Rhode Island is about the size of something else in California, Yosemite National Park"
How big is Rhode Island?

Boko Haram is operating in an area the size of Rhode Island.

"Puerto Rico, slightly less than three times the size of Rhode Island."

Now, this one was really interesting, I thought: "What if everyone on earth jumped at the same time? At the start of the scenario, the entire Earth’s population has been magically transported together into one place.
This crowd takes up an area the size of Rhode Island. But there’s no reason to use the vague phrase “an area the size of Rhode Island”. This is our scenario; we can be specific. They’re actually in Rhode Island.

Statistics Saturday: The Size of Rhode Island in terms of Football Fields

Gigantic Landslide Was Bigger Than Rhode Island

Old 03-31-2015, 07:32 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,185,345 times
This thread is also about the size of Rhode Island

As I posted in that thread - Bill Harley explains it all! The Size of the State of Rhode Island

Old 03-31-2015, 10:59 AM

^ What??? That thread is way bigger than this one; it is more like the size of Connecticut. Sorry, I somehow missed that thread... oh well.

Here's another one about Newberry Volcano in Oregon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGS
Hidden in plain sight, Oregon's massive Newberry Volcano is the largest volcano in the Cascades volcanic arc and covers an area the size of Rhode Island.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:17 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,459,004 times
"In 1908 a similar type asteroid entered the atmosphere and exploded over Tunguska, Russia, leveling trees over an area of 820 square miles -- about two thirds the size of Rhode Island."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
^ What??? That thread is way bigger than this one; it is more like the size of Connecticut.
LOL!

Old 03-31-2015, 03:17 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,788,793 times
I will admit that I'm at fault with this as well, but only because of having lived in RI for 10 or 12 years, and normally only when talking to other Rhode Islanders (since so many others either think Rhode Island is part of New York, or are not quite sure where/what it is).. Usually in the context of "my county is 5 times the size of RI"..

Old 03-31-2015, 03:24 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,459,004 times
^ "The ranch is such an inherent part of Texas that schoolchildren were once required to memorize facts and figures about the territory reported to be bigger than the entire state of Rhode Island. "

Yes, but does it have as many great restaurants? I Think Not.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:25 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,788,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
^ "The ranch is such an inherent part of Texas that schoolchildren were once required to memorize facts and figures about the territory reported to be bigger than the entire state of Rhode Island. "

Yes, but does it have as many great restaurants? I Think Not.
Probably not in Texas, although the BBQ I'm sure is better.. Here in LV, though? Yessir!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island