Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 05:19 PM

3,820 posts, read 2,701,868 times

Advertisements

I love the way this story is being couched.

Rhode Island Governor defends so called Taylor Swift Tax

Don't you think the tax is small enough that she could just shake it off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 05:57 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,459,004 times
From the article:

Quote:
Gov. Gina Raimondo says she wants to raise nearly $12 million by implementing a statewide property tax on second homes worth more than $1 million.

Grammy winner Swift has a beachfront mansion in Westerly, Rhode Island.
Raimondo says the tax policies she proposed in her budget will create jobs.
Huh. "Create jobs?" How? Will these funds go to job-creating programs, or will these funds go to the general fund? If they go to the general fund, how will they create jobs? If these funds go to job-creating initiatives, what "job-creating" initiatives does "Wall Street Gina" propose? She doesn't!

How does a state "create jobs?" That's always been a mystery to me. Those scammers in the North Carolina state government, a state that has ethical issues which manifestly dwarf RI (and whose legislative body has a collective IQ lower than normal body temperature of your average Norwegian rat), showered Dell with hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars "to create jobs." How many jobs? 905 jobs. How many millions? $279,000,000. That's you know, $308,000 per job:

Quote:
State lawmakers approved a $242 million package of tax breaks and other incentives in 2004 to lure the Texas-based computer maker to North Carolina, and Forsyth County and Winston-Salem kicked in another $37 million in incentives.
So after shoveling $279,000,000 (or $308,000 per worker), how'd that work out for North Carolina?

Quote:
Four years after opening a computer manufacturing plant in Forsyth County, Dell Inc. announced plans Wednesday to shutter the operation, laying off all 905 workers.
I really do wish "Wall Street Gina" would stop lying! It's called a "tax," not a jobs program.

I have no opinion on the merits of it, but I do have strong opinions about the increasing dosages of lies our hedge fund controlled governor is handing out.

Hold on to your wallets, folks, it's going to be Days of Heaven for hedge funds but years of hell for taxpayers!

Old 03-19-2015, 06:02 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,998,603 times
No, I do not think so.

There are many homes which sell for in excess of $1.0 million.. but are assessed for far less. Taylor Swift paid waaaaaaaaaaaay too much money for that house. Her assessment is far less than what she paid.

However, I would not have a problem with what New York State calls their "mansion tax". Due upon sale of properties over $1 million.

I also would not have a problem with an additional 1% "luxury" sales tax on passenger vehicles with an MSRP of $50K+. Notice the "MSRP" qualifier - which would be the sticker price.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:10 PM

23,619 posts, read 18,740,326 times
Don't blame me, I didn't vote for Raimondo.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Don't blame me, I didn't vote for Raimondo.
For whom did you vote? Oh! That's right! You never have paid a dime in RI payroll, income or capital gains taxes; nor have you ever lived here. Though, funny thing, that doesn't stop you from trashing the place...

Never understood your angle. Don't care to, either.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
For whom did you vote? Oh! That's right! You never have paid a dime in RI payroll, income or capital gains taxes; nor have you ever lived here. Though, funny thing, that doesn't stop you from trashing the place...

Never understood your angle. Don't care to, either.
Well at least I don't contribute to the state's continued disintegration.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Well at least I don't contribute to the state's continued disintegration.
Brilliant repartee! Grade school taught you well.

I rather think things are getting better here. We still have a Republican't gov, masked as a Democrat, but by and large, PVD is looking up. Of course, as you've posted before, you haven't been downtown "in years." Sure must be tough on the downtown Dunkin Donuts shops! And we do miss you on Snow Street.

Have a blessed night, m'kay?

Old 03-19-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Brilliant repartee! Grade school taught you well.

I rather think things are getting better here. We still have a Republican't gov, masked as a Democrat, but by and large, PVD is looking up. Of course, as you've posted before, you haven't been downtown "in years." Sure must be tough on the downtown Dunkin Donuts shops! And we do miss you on Snow Street.

Have a blessed night, m'kay?
I know, I really feel for the fools who voted for that "DINO" of a governor. Can't even begin to imagine the "oh stupid me" reaction the many clueless RI voters had realizing how it is "they" that are contributing to the state's continued self-destruction.

Now why people feel the need to bash a place like NC when they live 1000 miles away in RI, and pay no income, payroll, or capital gains tax there (nor even have any knowledge of the place); is beside me. But then again, I don't claim to have all the answers.

But don't worry, I'll make a visit to Snow St. one of these days. I'll even do the "Snow St. Shuffle" ("dungeon on the left...step...step...dungeon on the right...step...").

Last edited by massnative71; 03-19-2015 at 07:37 PM..

Old 03-19-2015, 07:29 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
No one has explained to me ever how raising taxes creates jobs.
In fact, when my taxes went up, I spent less money and fired people.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:39 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,703,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I love the way this story is being couched.

Rhode Island Governor defends so called Taylor Swift Tax

Don't you think the tax is small enough that she could just shake it off?
The proposal is probably a painless new way to raise money to plug into the budget. Since it won't apply to full time RI residents, the politics should be relatively easy. Many, if not most of those penalized are summer folks from out of state.

When I lived on Green Hill Beach, we were the only Rhode Islanders on the entire beachfront road. Most of the neighbors were summer people from New York, Connecticut and Mass.. They were happy to live on a beautiful RI beach for a fraction of what they would pay in the Hamptons or on the cape. My guess is they won't think twice about ponying up the tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island