Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 02:01 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,397,772 times

Advertisements

Should I? It has been on my bucket list. I will most likely go alone since no one else is available to pal around with me.
I would take Cape Air to the Island.
I assume there is enough for me to do there for a day.
Suggestions? Where to go, what to do, where to eat? Nothing fancy, just fun and casual.

(oh--I don't need a car do I? Moped and bikes are available, correct?)

Last edited by GiGi603; 06-01-2015 at 02:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 02:25 PM

54 posts, read 90,204 times
Depends on what you're looking to do on the island. There is a small downtown area with a handful of shops, bars, and restaurants clustered around the Old Harbor area (which is where the ferry drops everyone off). This is not too far from the airport and there are bike rentals available here, as well as mopeds. The island is bikeable and I have done the entire thing from one end to the other, but be aware that you should be in decent shape to bike it as there are some rather steep hills to climb. If you are not sure I would go the moped route, you will be much happier and less sore at the end of the day. The island isn't large enough to need a car. Be sure to check out the lighthouses at both ends of the island as well as Mohegan Bluffs - the rocky cliffs at the southern point of the island which are accessed via a long staircase. Be sure to pick a decent weather day and plan to be outdoors most of the time. It's a beautiful place.

Someone else can chime in on food recommendations. I just use Yelp and grab pub food on the go.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:14 PM

2,106 posts, read 1,936,587 times
There is a van going from the airport to downtown. I have not used it recently but my recollection is that the price was quite reasonable.

When we last visited Block Island, we took our folding bikes in our the back of our small plane. Our bikes were 3 and 6 speeds with 20" wheels but they were adequate. Some hills were a bit steep but not too bad. If needed, you can just walk the bike up the hill for short distances.

There is a nice beach so if the water is warm enough, you can take a dip. The light houses are nice. The island is definitely worth a day trip.

Foodwise, there is a pretty good restaurant right on the airport and there are quite a few restaurants in the small down town area.

Here are some links on biking info

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g5...ck.Island.html
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...2&source=embed
http://www.visitrhodeisland.com/what...eritage-trail/

Old 06-01-2015, 03:55 PM

Taking notes! Thank you!

Old 06-01-2015, 09:33 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,385,785 times
I would definitely see both the north and south lighthouses, Mohegan Bluffs, Rodman's Hollow if you want a hike/nature walk, Crescent Beach, Old Harbour/"downtown", and some of the big old hotels liket he Spring House. Block Island is a worthy bucket list location. Definitely one of America's lesser known gems.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:24 AM

3 posts, read 3,307 times
Beavertail is another lesser-known gem.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:31 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,564,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xatrina View Post
Beavertail is another lesser-known gem.

Beavertail Lighthouse, Beavertail Park, etc., is in Jamestown -- not Block Island.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:29 PM

Jamestown--I do want to visit there too. Thanks.
I do love Rhode Island--I do make it there a few times every year.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:07 AM

3,847 posts, read 2,714,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
When we last visited Block Island, we took our folding bikes in our the back of our small plane. Our bikes were 3 and 6 speeds with 20" wheels but they were adequate. Some hills were a bit steep but not too bad. If needed, you can just walk the bike up the hill for short distances.
I second this. I brought my bike on the ferry and thought the hills weren't too bad, though I bike regularly. My significant other doesn't bike often but did manage the hills on a rented bike. There's no shame in hopping off the bike and walking up the hill when necessary, and it is a somewhat common site on Block Island.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:36 PM

3,847 posts, read 2,714,035 times
^of course I meant common *sight*. uggh.

By the way, I took a day trip to Block Island much as you are thinking of doing OP. It is certainly a great place for a day trip. If you can afford the time, it would be a nice place to stay longer, to bring a good book and unwind. I haven't spent days at a time there but hope to do so in the not too distant future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: