Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 04:40 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times

Advertisements

I'm unclear as to the exact domain of the Brown University police department. From a report by the Brown police:

Quote:
Campus police officers are licensed by the Superintendent of the Rhode Island State Police with police authority on University property and adjacent streets. Every police officer has completed training and is a graduate of the Rhode Island Municipal Police Academy. All police officers are required to meet annual licensure qualifications as designated by Rhode Island state law. DPS personnel work in a
collaborative manner with the Providence Police Department (PPD). DPS detectives work with PPD to
coordinate the follow-up of particular criminal matters.
On CH it's pretty hard to throw a Frisbee without hitting a Brown facility, but a lot of people with no affiliation with the university live adjacent to the school, as in right next door. So, what exactly does "authority" mean over non-university citizens of PVD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 04:51 PM

4,402 posts, read 3,195,009 times
I dread to speculate.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I dread to speculate.
Coraggio! Speculate.

And I have a specific reason for posting this quezzie. A University of Cincinnati policeman was just indicted for killing a man off campus. I have no issue with the PVD police, in fact my interactions involve saying "hi" and that's about it, but I'm a citizen of PVD, not a citizen of Brown University.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:12 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Sometimes campus police officers have jurisdiction in the whole city the campus is located in. On paper, their jurisdiction may even be statewide. I have certainly heard of campus PD being called upon to assist other (off-campus) law enforcement when that need arises.

It depends on the state, I suppose. I doubt they'd really get too involved with (immediately) off-campus areas, but they probably have the authority to.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:33 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,982 times
I don't know if this applies to the Brown police, but in my experience, city police are disdainful of campus police, who they tend to consider glorified rent-a-cops. That makes me wonder how much leeway the campus cops are even going to attempt to take -- they may be reluctant to deal with obvious non-students for fear of incurring the city cops' wrath.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:44 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Brown Public Safety is a full fledged law enforcement agency with a working relationship with the Providence PD. They primarily focus on University property, but will assist Providence when needed. The East Side is fortunate to have all the public safety presence that it does, and it can basically be thought of as a free service provided by the university to city residents. All the grumble about Brown not paying their fair share...well that's a benefit they provide no charge. They have always been a very squared away department.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I don't know if this applies to the Brown police, but in my experience, city police are disdainful of campus police, who they tend to consider glorified rent-a-cops. That makes me wonder how much leeway the campus cops are even going to attempt to take -- they may be reluctant to deal with obvious non-students for fear of incurring the city cops' wrath.
The Brown police, from what I've read (see cite in my original post) and from what I've heard, go through the same training as the city police. I have no idea what the working relationship is like between the two, but I see far more Brown patrol cars than city. And I've also seen Brown police with radar equipped cars on streets like Prospect and Meeting. It's almost like the city ceded police operations to Brown on CH.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:36 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
So, what exactly does "authority" mean over non-university citizens of PVD?
Exactly why would one be inquiring about such?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: